Personal Launch Report - MDARS 2022-12-24

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Predictions of conditions out in the desert can be tricky. There are a lot of mountains and valleys as well as the open space. A lot of microclimates.

However the prediction of zero to 5 mph (8 kmh) turned out to be spot on north of Edwards AFB. And with temps in the 60s and 70s (16 to 26C) it was just a perfect day to launch rockets. I had brought 7 rockets to launch and got in 5 before I called it a day at 1pm. There were still some college teams to launch and the wind was still zero, but these old bones needed to quit. First up was the Rocketry Warehouse Formula 75. I bought this 10 years or more ago when there was a Rocketry Warehouse and it was way cheaper than current similar FG rockets. I simply cannot, for now anyway, justify spending the money for FG rockets today. Maybe that will change 🤞.

MDARS-20221224 (39 of 252).jpg
Loaded with a H178DM drilled to 8 seconds it left my Jack Stand Pad spewing Christmas lights. There was zero issue getting the chute bundle out near the 1300' (400m) apogee. However at 500' (150m) when the MissileWork RRC2 mini fired the Archetype Cable Cutter, the bundle did not open... at least not right away. Then in a Christmas miracle :) the chute made its way out at about 40 feet (12m)! While more 'exciting' than it should have been, all was well.

MDARS-20221224 (41 of 252).jpg

MDARS-20221224 (43 of 252).jpg

Next I loaded up my LOC StarFighter 152. The decals are a mix in InkJet clear waterslide, InkJet printed white vinyl, and Stika cut vinyl. I like how it turned out. But I am bias. The Estes F26-6 gave it a really nice ride to about 1100' (340m) according to the Jolly Logic Altimeter One. Upon eject that stupid TINY plastic nose cone eyelet broke. Fortunately the chute and altimeter were attached to a loop in the Kevlar shock cord and someone tracked the nose cone to the ground. So both were recovered.

MDARS-20221224 (82 of 252).jpg

MDARS-20221224 (123 of 252).jpg

MDARS-20221224 (124 of 252).jpg

Next up my long time scratch built friend, the Dagger 38. This 10 fin rocket first flew in 2012 and has its share of bumps bruises and missing paint. Built with 1/4" (6mm) ply and PML quantum tube its not light. I lit this flight up with an Aerotech I1280DM drilled to -10 as a backup to the Adept 22's apogee charge. More Christmas lights. The flight was awesome while a little spiraling no doubt due to all the fins and time. The apogee events went well at around 1900' (580m) and the Archetype Cable Cutter did it's thing a 600' (180m) releasing at 72" (180cm) Fruity chute for a nice gentle touchdown.

MDARS-20221224 (202 of 252).jpg

MDARS-20221224 (205 of 252).jpg

MDARS-20221224 (206 of 252).jpg

I tried and failed to light a 3 C6-5 cluster in my Rocketarium Gadfly. I have no idea. I tried it on another pad and nada. Nothing fired. I though I have them all wired in parallel... Not one to mess with such things in the field, testing at home will have to occur.

Next up a long flying Pemberton Tech 3FNC. Everyone loves this little rocket. Today it flew on a G64-4. I missed the liftoff.
MDARS-20221224 (220 of 252).jpg

Finally I launched a Nike-Ajax. I found the printed fins, NC, and interstage on Thingiverse. As such it's pretty heavy and has a bunch of nose weight. I would have launched at the SCRA launch last weekend, but I figured the RSO would not like me maidening it in his launch, even with OR and RockSim data. So a D12-3 did the honors which acutally was a tad short. The other Estes Altimeter I had (I canned the first as it always read 0) read 0' (0m). So into the bin it will go. The altimeter one never misses a flight. It IS more sensitive to pressure changes installing the NC, but it works.

MDARS-20221224 (229 of 252).jpg

MDARS-20221224 (230 of 252).jpg

So thats a wrap. A great Xmas gift of fantastic weather and 5 good flights. For those going through bad weather - as a former Western New York resident, I know your pain. But you did get a white Christmas.

Oh the 7th rocket is a short crayon rocket with no fins but a base that is a flared plastic shallow cone - and lots of nose weight. It had a D15-4 in it. I totally forgot I had brought it.

The only casualty was my launch controller. It was a home brew thing I got from a guy getting out of the hobby some years ago. Two launches, and then it gave up. I think it is the relay in the pad box... but am not electrically inclined enough to figure it out. So I'll be placing a want ad for a used controller. Alas this one was special as it had a foot switch as well as a button so I could take photos and launch... alas...

Pictures of some other flights here.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAkvMQ
Happy Holidays!

Yes, yes it was. Been out of the rocketry scene for a few years. LDRS was the first launch I attended in 6 years.

Yes, yes it was. Been out of the rocketry scene for a few years. LDRS was the first launch I attended in 6 years.
Well give me more! :) LOL! Glad to see you here! Still behind the orange curtain?

I just dug that huge so-and-so out of storage where it has sat almost since you gave it away. I am sanding and sanding and sanding (and more sanding!). I have to add a rod to the payload section for an altimeter as well as the connectors at the bottom of the bulkhead. I'll do dual deployment with a cable (aka ty-wrap) cutter. I have to toughen up the tube edges as they are all frayed. So much so I can not get the payload coupler in. I will also create two removable plugs for the 38mm tubes. Then who knows how many rattle cans to repaint?

Well.. in a nutshell, I realized there were things I wasn't doing that I should have been. Plus, there were some personal issues and finance issues (meaning don't spend money on rockets, but on more important things) going on then that needed to be dealt with, so I dealt with them. The result is I have pretty much been working on my house and fixing/remodeling the areas that need it since then, and I'm not done, and taking vacations to where the Mrs. want to go (like the river). As my situation has improved, I have ventured into rocketry again, but it will still be limited.
Oh yea, and I'm in a band now too, so I have to devote some time to that as well. (i.e. band practice/rehearsal this Saturday). Also being a religious person I devote time to that as well, actually that comes first. I recently left my job of almost 38 years and I now work from home, so it has become easier to start dabbling in the hobby again. I am hoping to make it to Spring Fest this year and I want to go to an SCRA launch, so if you see me I can give you more details.

BTW, you took this amazing picture of my Disruptor on a sparky...thank you

See you soon!

Attachments

• 8999758706_b74201926a_c (534x800).jpg
    8999758706_b74201926a_c (534x800).jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 0
SCRA has not changed. Still a RSO 'Feeces Show'. Sad really. Four hours of launching and almost always one to one and a half hours are wasted by the RSO. It it is a section only in name. Members have no say so. Still the only game 'in town'. So one plays or goes home. :(
While I believe, I stay clear of religion. I too had and have financial issues. But I stocked up back in the day. So I am working through that. Or I sell astronomy stuff that I also stocked up on back in the day". Hope to see you soon.
Best

Back