Performance Hobbies Performer 29 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyhager3

Orange is best color, NAR/TRA L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As some of you might have seen already, I wanted to build a scaled down version of the Performer Rockets, and I reached out to him and he was happy to scale one down for me. So a weekend ago I went out and got it from him and I'm very excited to build it! This is my first fiberglass rockets, and even though in hindsight, fiberglass wasn't the best choice at this scale (bc its quite heavy), but it still will be a good learning experience for me.
I hope to build it with an Apogee E-bay so I can do dual deploy one day, as I plan on flying it as a minimum diameter rocket and with at 24mm adapter for Fs and Es.
I'm gonna have a lot of questions, but I know someone here will know the answers!

Attachments

• Performer 29.ork
    182 KB · Views: 0
  • 935EB93F-0122-4ACC-ABEC-C7238670F4A0.jpeg
    935EB93F-0122-4ACC-ABEC-C7238670F4A0.jpeg
    784.1 KB · Views: 0
Fins tacked it place, and all parts have been washed.
Fully stacked for images, and it’s pretty tall

Attachments

• 54C36EC5-9A15-49EF-B845-F65350973214.jpeg
    54C36EC5-9A15-49EF-B845-F65350973214.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • D1A54045-507F-4126-8325-5A203CA53CCD.jpeg
    D1A54045-507F-4126-8325-5A203CA53CCD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • B2BF24A5-35BB-444D-B3ED-0730248370B8.jpeg
    B2BF24A5-35BB-444D-B3ED-0730248370B8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
And before I get too far, anyone got any good ways to secure a minimum diameter shock cord? I have an idea to make a little section of tube that is smaller than the airframe, and attach the shock cord to that. I also have a bit of 24mm fiberglass tube to use to make sure it doesn’t fail.
The image is a mock-up out of parts I had lying around.

Attachments

• E0EA9AF9-D36C-4A72-804A-A359D08C0547.jpeg
    E0EA9AF9-D36C-4A72-804A-A359D08C0547.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Fillets made (still need to be sanded), and engine hook secured! Which I made from some rc plane push rods I had.

Attachments

• F120AA28-A3D9-4A9E-A747-0749E6E4AF1A.jpeg
    F120AA28-A3D9-4A9E-A747-0749E6E4AF1A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • D63DD2DF-FFBD-4607-8B8B-6F54E733A936.jpeg
    D63DD2DF-FFBD-4607-8B8B-6F54E733A936.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Fillets made (still need to be sanded), and engine hook secured! Which I made from some rc plane push rods I had.
I have learned the hard way not to trust motor hooks. I can see yoursnot holding the motor in when ejection charge fires. A few wraps of tape around the hook and motor should ensure motor stays in.

I got myself an H-motor!…kinda…
I have it being held for me by my local vendor, and I’ll pick it up at the march launch. It’s an H123W and I also got a used 38/240 AT case to go with it. I’ve never even built a reload motor, but I’ve heard that as long as you follow the directions it’ll be just fine.

I got myself an H-motor!…kinda…
I have it being held for me by my local vendor, and I’ll pick it up at the march launch. It’s an H123W and I also got a used 38/240 AT case to go with it. I’ve never even built a reload motor, but I’ve heard that as long as you follow the directions it’ll be just fine.
This was on the wrong thread, my bad!

So I’m getting ready to order the last bit of parts (e-bay, CR, and recovery stuff), but since this thing weighs about 350g (13oz), I don’t know if a 4”x5’ streamer is going to be appropriate. But I would think it would be fine as this thing is built well, but I just would like a second opinion.

I think you've mentioned using simulators in the past (not sure if it was Open Rocket or RockSim), don't those allow you to configure your recovery option and then provide an estimated descent rate?

The motive force behind RockSim published an article discussing streamer sizing, and makes multiple references to that software in the article: https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter244.pdf

There are also descent rate calculators on the Rocketry Reviews web site, including one dedicated to streamers (enter in rocket weight and streamer width, and it provides a recommended streamer length (though it does not reflect what the descent rate will be)): https://www.rocketreviews.com/streamer-calculator.html

I think you've mentioned using simulators in the past (not sure if it was Open Rocket or RockSim), don't those allow you to configure your recovery option and then provide an estimated descent rate?

The motive force behind RockSim published an article discussing streamer sizing, and makes multiple references to that software in the article: https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter244.pdf

There are also descent rate calculators on the Rocketry Reviews web site, including one dedicated to streamers (enter in rocket weight and streamer width, and it provides a recommended streamer length (though it does not reflect what the descent rate will be)): https://www.rocketreviews.com/streamer-calculator.html
I forgot those even existed!
I ran it and found I would need a 10-foot streamer, and that the streamer I was gonna use would've had it come down at 90mph, so good thing you told me about these.
So I will go with a 10 inch with a spill hole, and see what to do from there after some real-world testing

My eBay sled turned up last night at 10 or so, but I’ll make the fiberglass portion later. It feels weird not tip-tip fiberglassing this, but it’s so small I don’t feel as it would be required

The eBay didn’t fit as the fiberglass parts were too thick, but I should’ve seen that coming.
But it’s shaping up still, and that’s not to say that it won’t have electronics one day

Attachments

• 4CF43D9E-4E5A-43CB-8A98-ECB3CFA51095.jpeg
    4CF43D9E-4E5A-43CB-8A98-ECB3CFA51095.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I forgot those even existed!
I ran it and found I would need a 10-foot streamer, and that the streamer I was gonna use would've had it come down at 90mph, so good thing you told me about these.
So I will go with a 10 inch with a spill hole, and see what to do from there after some real-world testing
Use a parastream. This gives the visibility of a streamer but you can control the descent rate by sizing the chute. Attach one end of the streamer to the chute and the other end to the shock cord like a normal streamer. When you roll up the streamer, roll the chute in the center. I would use a 5 x 50" streamer and if you would need a 12" chute, use one 9-10" diameter. I haven't had a parastream recovered rocket in 30 years.

Use a parastream. This gives the visibility of a streamer but you can control the descent rate by sizing the chute. Attach one end of the streamer to the chute and the other end to the shock cord like a normal streamer. When you roll up the streamer, roll the chute in the center. I would use a 5 x 50" streamer and if you would need a 12" chute, use one 9-10" diameter. I haven't had a parastream recovered rocket in 30 years.
I was actually planning to do that!
I had a 2”x5’ Mylar pink streamer and a 9-10” chute I was gonna use.
Parastream, I better write that on my launch card

Back