PerfectFlite HA45 Tricks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickburst

Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have seen, own or read about the PerfectFlite HA45 Altimeter.

This has to be one of the most powerful firing currents available in an altimeter today (that I am aware of).

"Basically the HA45 has a pretty beefy output stage (the FET's are essentially burnout proof) so if the battery you use can put out big current you can light up things other than hard to get e-matches."
PerfectFlite

I have had the pleasure of doing business with Peter Lawall of PerfectFlite the past few years. I became a dealer when he repaired the MAWD I had free of charge. This came totally unexpected. Its a long story but to sum it up, I managed to hang my rocket over a 38KV transmission line. The rocket hung there about three days before the light company's crew could go out and pull it down. Needless to say, the altimeter did not survive. Peter repaired it for me and never sent a bill for his services, despite my attempts to pay for his work.

What a guy and what great service, I thought it would be a wise move to stock his product. Turned out to be a good decision. I have sold many of his altimeters and timers ...etc. If you do not own PerfectFlite avionics I highly recommend them.

FYI
PerfectFlite is the company that makes Aerotechs new electronic ejection charge thingy. A true piece of work. My hats off to Gary for doing the imagineering on that project. Wish I had thought of it!!!

Tricks with the HA45:
1.) How about an e-match that isn't an e-match?
2.) That is, no pyrogen required.
3.) A simple heater coil will do the trick.
4.) Black Powder, Pyrodex or .. "pick your poison" .. is still required, I can't eliminate that.
5.) Making them will require a little soldering, but the skill level is well within reach of most rocketeers.
6.) How about a kit where you can "roll your own"?
7.) This product can be used only with the PerfectFlite HA45 and requires a NIMH re-chargable battery (available from PerfectFlite). It will not work with any other altimeter. They can also be used with the PerfectFlite timers, or any other avionics that will provide at least 5 amps current.

Interested?

Kit would come with instructions, canisters, lead wire, and nichrome bridge wire. Everything needed to assemble and fly.

Note:
The above mentioned product does not contain any "Hazardous" or ATF regulated materials and can be shipped first class mail.

Um, yes please!

I own a MAWD and really like it. I've purchased e-matches before but would always like another alternative. Next time I'm in the market for a small altimeter, I think the first place I'd look would be PerfectFlite.

How many deployment charges would the kit make (on average) and how much for the kit?

-Aaron

Yes, I would be interested. Maybe you should run a poll to check interest.

Jim

Maybe you could combine this with my MOSFET circuit plans in the form of an optional kit so it will work with MAWDs/timers, etc. PM me for details.

Sounds like a great kit.

Will this device fire directly from a battery, or is the altimiter's capacitor necessary for it to work?

Originally posted by m85476585
Maybe you could combine this with my MOSFET circuit plans in the form of an optional kit so it will work with MAWDs/timers, etc. PM me for details.

Sounds like a great kit.

Will this device fire directly from a battery, or is the altimiter's capacitor necessary for it to work?

It will fire directly from a 9 volt Alkaline battery. No problem.

Count me in even though I am already making my own based on the plans PerfectFlite provides. I even made the switch that is described in the manual that cam with my altimeter, it works like a champ. I made the "perfect" choice by going with this altimeter !!!!

Originally posted by heada
Um, yes please!

I own a MAWD and really like it. I've purchased e-matches before but would always like another alternative. Next time I'm in the market for a small altimeter, I think the first place I'd look would be PerfectFlite.

How many deployment charges would the kit make (on average) and how much for the kit?

-Aaron

The kit: (as designed, makes up to 10 "Hot Coil" canisters)

"QuickBurst Hot Coil Kit"

You would get:

10 - 1/2" Red cardboard tubing canisters with drilled bulkheads. (2.5 gram capacity). 3/4" Canisters available (add $2.00, 12 gram capacity).

120 inches bonded pair lead wire (enough for 10-12" "Hot Coils").

Nichrome 80 resistance wire.

Easy to follow directions.

$20.00, that's $2.00 each.

Shipping: $6.00 Priority Mail.

Tools needed for assembly:
Soldering Iron ( 25 watt min), (radio shack).
Small wire cutters (radio shack).
Hot Glue gun. (Wall-Mart)
Solder Flux. (Ruby Red or equal, available at most hardware stores).
Silver Solder (radio shack).

Note:
The kit described above is recommended for use with the PerfectFlite HA45 Altimeter and a NIMH 9 volt battery, or the PerfectFlite timers, ONLY!.
I suggest the NIMH battery available from PerfectFlite. The "Hot Coil Kit" is not for use with other avionics, other avionics will not supply the required firing current.

No BATFE Permit required. Nothing in the kit is hazardous or regulated in any way.

Originally posted by QuickBurst

"QuickBurst Hot Coil Kit"

You would get:

10 - 1/2" Red cardboard tubing canisters with drilled bulkheads. (2.5 gram capacity). 3/4" Canisters available (add $2.00, 12 gram capacity).

120 inches bonded pair lead wire (enough for 10-12" "Hot Coils").

Nichrome 80 resistance wire.

Easy to follow directions.

$20.00, that's $2.00 each.

Shipping: $6.00 Priority Mail.

Tools needed for assembly:
Soldering Iron ( 25 watt min), (radio shack).
Small wire cutters (radio shack).
Hot Glue gun. (Wall-Mart)
Solder Flux. (Ruby Red or equal, available at most hardware stores).
Silver Solder (radio shack).

Note:
The kit described above is recommended for use with the PerfectFlite HA45 Altimeter and a NIMH 9 volt battery, or the PerfectFlite timers, ONLY!.
I suggest the NIMH battery available from PerfectFlite. The "Hot Coil Kit" is not for use with other avionics, other avionics will not supply the required firing current.

No BATFE Permit required. Nothing in the kit is hazardous or regulated in any way.

We get $20.00 with the kit, That rocks

"QuickBurst Hot Coil Kit".

All right, I'd give it a shot then. I've already got the HA45 (she's flown three times). This might be enough to make me get another one for the current project, instead of another MAWD, at least as a backup.

Sign me up Dave! I plan to get an HA45 the next time I call you. If the "hot coil" canisters are available when I get the altimeter, I get some of those too.

Great Idea!!! :)

Note:

From reading the specs on the G-Wiz MC2, it seems it would be capable of using these as well.

* High current FET driven pyro outputs are capable of delivering up to 15 amps for a full second, each. Outputs capable of delivering up to 50 amps are available on request.
* Can use 2 batteries to ensure that the battery driving the pyro output does not interfere with the computer.

Originally posted by matthew
From reading the specs on the G-Wiz MC2, it seems it would be capable of using these as well.

* High current FET driven pyro outputs are capable of delivering up to 15 amps for a full second, each. Outputs capable of delivering up to 50 amps are available on request.
* Can use 2 batteries to ensure that the battery driving the pyro output does not interfere with the computer.

Sounds like you are correct. I don't own a G-Wizz so I am unable to bench test. The HA45 has now fired ten of the "Hot Coils" with out failure. From the looks of things they function exactly like an e-match.

I'd guess many of the timers on the market will fire them as well. If the avionics can provide 5 amps current, you are in business. The last four "Hot Coils" I tested I used an off the shelf Duracell 9 volt Alkaline. No problem, the Hot Coils fired instantly. These were all installed inside of the paper canisters.

Originally posted by matthew

Sounds like you are correct. I don't own a G-Wizz so I am unable to bench test. The HA45 has now fired ten of the "Hot Coils" with out failure. From the looks of things they function exactly like an e-match.

I'd guess many of the timers on the market will fire them as well. If the avionics can provide 5 amps current, you are in business. The last four "Hot Coils" I tested I used an off the shelf Duracell 9 volt Alkaline. No problem, the Hot Coils fired instantly. these wer all installed inside of the paper canisters.

This is excellent timing David! I've recently decided on the HA45 and was
looking for a dealer... :) And a timer too.

I notice from your price sheet you don't have the MicroTimer2. Is this an
oversight or is the MiniTimer3 that much better? I'm not opposed to soldering
the leads and the UT2A seems to do everything I'd need. Feel free to convince
me otherwise. ;)

How soon until the Hot Coil kits become available?

I was waiting to do some bench testing, looks like I'm finished. The Hot Coil Kits are available now.

I can get anything you want from PerfectFlite. Just drop me a line, I'll fix you up with your PerfectFlite items and a Hot Coil Kit.

According to the PerfectFlite site the HA45 has a firing current of 5A Max and the MAWD has a firing current of 27A Peak. I assume that if the HA45 will work then the MAWD would most certainly work since it appears it has 5 times the firing current?

I have not tested the MAWD.
"The coil will not work with the MAWD. It was designed specifically for low current e-matches"
Peter Lawall (PerfectFlite)

No. The MAWD only fires in short bursts. The HA45 will fire for up to 1 second, which is necessary to heat a resistance coil. My MOSFET circuit will allow a MAWD to fire up to 17A for a few seconds. I'm still thinking about whether to sell a kit.

Latest posts

Back