Perfectflite Alt 15 K data Acquisition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grover

Reaction score
I'm trying to run my Perfectflite data Acquisition program on Windows 10 and despite roll backs of drivers and Compatibility changes I can't get the USB to show up on any available ports. If anyone knows the trick it would be gratefully appreciated.

I'll hook my Alt 15K in a bit and let you know the settings.

I just did it and it is a little goofy.

Here is what I did:

1) Start the data capture program for the Alt15K. The Stratologger and Pnut programs do not work for the 15K.
2) Connect the altimeter to the cable and plug the cable into the computer.
3) Turn on the altimeter.
4) Quickly select the Altimeter tab in the capture program
5) Quickly select the CommPort option.
6) It will show 4 ports and my screen shows none are present, but the upper one can be selected. Select it. I suggest you repeat steps 2 to 6 if there is no commport active. I had to redo these steps several times, but my USB cable may be the problem.
7) Select Data tab and then Acquire. Just ignore error messages if present by clicking OK option.
8) It then gives me the option to download one of the last three flights.

I know that this might sound silly, but try a different USB cable. I had issues like this and it came down to a cable issue.

From the software manual:

"The Alt15K/WD will respond to the serial port at any point before the “launch ready” chirp..."

The correct sequence is:

* Run the Alt15K DataCap program, and select the appropriate serial port from the Altimeter>CommPort menu item.

* After the proper port is chosen, you can select the Data>Acquire menu item which will bring up a dialog box prompting you to turn on the altimeter.

* Turn on the altimeter, which will begin to beep out the last flight altitude

* When you respond with the “OK” button the data transfer process will commence and a progress indicator will appear on screen.

So you need to turn on the altimeter after you've got the software already ready to go and make sure you start the download process before it beeps that it's ready for launch.

Tony

Thanks everyone. I think I need to work out the USB problem within the computer itself. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a special patch out there somewhere for Windows 10. I'll let you know when I get it.

I just did it and it is a little goofy.

Here is what I did:

1) Start the data capture program for the Alt15K. The Stratologger and Pnut programs do not work for the 15K.
2) Connect the altimeter to the cable and plug the cable into the computer.
3) Turn on the altimeter.
4) Quickly select the Altimeter tab in the capture program
5) Quickly select the CommPort option.
6) It will show 4 ports and my screen shows none are present, but the upper one can be selected. Select it. I suggest you repeat steps 2 to 6 if there is no commport active. I had to redo these steps several times, but my USB cable may be the problem.
7) Select Data tab and then Acquire. Just ignore error messages if present by clicking OK option.
8) It then gives me the option to download one of the last three flights.
Ok, when I ignore the first error mssg. I get another one . I will keep trying and try a different cable. Thanks for your help.

Just keep accepting the error messages. That is what I did and eventually got to the data acquisition screen.

OK , found the original disk. I reinstalled the drivers and all is good now, thank you.
Just one question. The MSL was different by 100 ft on subsequent launches from the same spot.
Is this a concern ? I assume that's the height above sea Level, I wonder if I need to put more holes in the
airframe ?

All altimeters determine altitude based on a model of the atmosphere. To get truly accurate readings you need to correct for the current barometric pressure at the time of launch. I've had the MSL vary by several hundred feet over several years of launching at the same site.

Tony

I have seen almost 500 feet difference in MSL for the same launch location and the same altimeter depending on the temperature and barometric pressure on launch day. This data is accumulated over several years. The altimeter doesn't care what the actual MSL is at your launch location, it just uses the pressure as the starting altitude (zero) and bases all subsequent altitudes for each flight as being above that "zero" point.

Back