Pem Tech Little Bucky Jones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypv

And so it begins...
Reaction score
This was a TRF Secret Santa gift that I got a couple of years ago.
I finally built it a few months ago and just got it painted.

Little Bucky Jones 1.jpg

Little Bucky Jones 2.jpg

Thanks guys.

Thanks Jeff.
The build went great. The hardest part was cutting out the plywood fins with a utility knife.

Cutting fins?
You must have gotten an older kit, we have had laser cut ply fins and probes for a while now. And now that I take a closer look, yours has the old style nose cone as well. You got's yourself a real antique there.

Cutting fins?
You must have gotten an older kit, we have had laser cut ply fins and probes for a while now. And now that I take a closer look, yours has the old style nose cone as well. You got's yourself a real antique there.

Guess I gots me an antique as well!..:roll:

Gotta do a downscale too Tony! :)

Baby Buck Jones
SpaceCadet008.jpg

Baby and Full Sized here..
SpaceCadet011.jpg

Looks awesome Tony! My Bucky Jones was my first attempt at using epoxy for fin fillets..Obvious horrendous results!:eek::p

Cutting fins?
That's cool. :)
All though I'm not really an antique collector. ;)

Looks awesome Tony! My Bucky Jones was my first attempt at using epoxy for fin fillets..Obvious horrendous results!:eek::p
Thanks Jon. :)

The Little Bucky Jones had it's first flight yesterday at the CMASS launch.
Went with a C11-3 for a great flight. :)

Little Bucky Jones otp.jpg

Little Bucky Jones lo1.jpg

Little Bucky Jones lo2.jpg

The Little Bucky Jones flew twice at the CMASS launch Saturday.
The first flight was a C11-3, again a nice flight!
The second flight was also a C11-3 but this time I was drag racing with Jim Salem and his Bucky Jones on an F20!

Layne, we were thinking of you. Hope you like the pics. :)

Bucky Jones dr1.jpg

Bucky Jones dr2.jpg

Bucky Jones dr3.jpg

Bucky Jones dr4.jpg

Bucky Jones dr5.jpg

Hey Tony, love the pictures, keep them coming.
Well, it looks like you smoked Jim off the pad.
;)

How did his Bucky do on the F20? Mine has never flown on anything less than a F39.

Hey Tony, love the pictures, keep them coming.
Well, it looks like you smoked Jim off the pad.
;)
Yeah a C11 lights a lot faster than an F20. :)

How did his Bucky do on the F20? Mine has never flown on anything less than a F39.
It had a "slow realistic take off", arced over a bit and recovered fine. There was almost no wind.

Here's some shots of it's solo flight.

Little Bucky Jones otp.jpg

Little Bucky Jones lo1.jpg

Little Bucky Jones lo2.jpg

Last edited:
Guess I gots me an antique as well!..:roll:

Gotta do a downscale too Tony! :)

Did you use liquid or clay epoxy? Liquid should have spread out into a nice smooth fillet.

But ain't the little one so cute....
:D

Yeah a C11 lights a lot faster than an F20. :)

It had a "slow realistic take off", arced over a bit and recovered fine. There was almost no wind.

Here's some shots of it's solo flight.

WOw...
Don't know if I want to risk mine on an F20, but his seems to do just dandy. Of course I build heavy.
:rolleyes:

WOw...
Don't know if I want to risk mine on an F20, but his seems to do just dandy. Of course I build heavy.

It is heavy one! That kit has sooo much nose weight. Does it really need it or were you just being extra careful with stability? [BTW, I have one of the very early kits that I won at your auction several years ago.]

I've flown it a bunch on F20s. It's a little slow off the pad but it's done fine.

On the other hand, I've never flown it on a G -- too worried about fin flutter (and also about losing it).

What's the most you've flown yours on?

Jim

It is heavy one! That kit has sooo much nose weight. Does it really need it or were you just being extra careful with stability? [BTW, I have one of the very early kits that I won at your auction several years ago.]

I've flown it a bunch on F20s. It's a little slow off the pad but it's done fine.

On the other hand, I've never flown it on a G -- too worried about fin flutter (and also about losing it).

Jim

Well, as a manufacturer I will say He needs all that weight.
Not knowing how one will build the kit it is better to be a bit more stable than a bit less stable. And hey, it is only three ounces...

With proper fillets, fin flutter should not be a problem up through G power. Mine has flown on F39, F40, G64, and G77 motors without any problems. Maybe we'll try an H125 at Southern Thunder?

Jim

ACH!
You said F20, but I was thinking F24.
*DOH*
Yes, yes, I can see where the F20 would be OK.

Did you use liquid or clay epoxy? Liquid should have spread out into a nice smooth fillet.

But ain't the little one so cute....

It was liquid epoxy..Hobby Line 15 minute IIRC..Don't know how it got so 'bumpy'..He flies great though!

Yeah, I kinda like the Baby Bucky Jones too! :) He flies great too..Especially likes the B6-4's..C6-3 works too, but gets him a little dizzy(I think he is afraid of heights!:roll:)

Back