Parting shots

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugliss

Reaction score
One of my favorite rockets, the Estes Eliminator kit #1950 was lost to a rocket eating tree yesterday. It was that model that got my attention with it's appearance and specs while looking through the Estes catalog that got me back into model rocketry. Funny, but it's like losing an old friend. My own fault for launching it on an E9 on a day that was windy enough to send it drifting far away on it's chute. Bad judgment call there!:( I'm posting photos of the first launch on a D12 from which it was recovered, and then a video link of the fatal E9 launch. The Video is long since the flight duration was 2 minutes and the rocket isn't even visible for much of the video, but if you look closely in HD, you can see the Eliminator settle into the tree at approx. 2:01 time near the 3 soccer goals at the center of the frame. R.I.P. Looks like I'll be visiting my LHS this week.
Eliminator 9-1-13.jpgEliminator launch 9-1-13.jpgEliminator tree'd 9-1-13 RIP.jpghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTRCMjGpDW8

The Eliminator is a great rocket. I'm sorry yours was lost to the tree. Mine was the first D & E powered rocket I got after getting back into the hobby a few years ago. I flew it every time I got to a big enough field. I really liked it. Sadly mine finally was destroyed by an E12 motor which blew in it.

Every launch I go to I bring a telescoping pole and additional wooden poles which allow me about 45 feet of reach. I wish there was a way to get yours back.

Jim Z

My son lost his on an E9 a few years back at a CMASS launch. Same kind of flight except we never saw it come down.

Do not give up. It looks like you fly in a park and the trees don't look too tall. It may be possible that a park employee may have a tree trimming pole or some other gadget that can reach you beloved rocket. If not, just wait for our fall or winter winds and it may just blow down.

Do not give up. It looks like you fly in a park and the trees don't look too tall. It may be possible that a park employee may have a tree trimming pole or some other gadget that can reach you beloved rocket. If not, just wait for our fall or winter winds and it may just blow down.

I was going to say the same. You may be able to get it down with a pole or some line.

Sorry to hear that Doug. I know the rocket...I've seen it fly before. I have a few safe gadgets that might be able to coax it down if the tree isn't too tall. All I have to do is get up to the field again.

Latest posts

Back