Paper rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The RVT9 model is a scale model that was intended to be a static non-flying model. I am trying to adapt it to a flying model.

It can be downloaded for free at:

https://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm

I made it with a 5" parachute but there is so little room inside the tube that I am going to use a streamer instead.

The first tests were with a 1/2A3-2T and it was stable but only got about 40 ft up. The next try was with an A3-4T and it spun around like a tumble recovery rocket so I know I need more nose weight.

Unfortunately, I had made the body tube a little on the tight side and the hot engine stuck itself inside and I pulled the tube out getting the engine out :mad: .

It looks repairable so I am going to glue the tube back in and try it with more nose weight.

when I get the amount of weight to use figured out, I'm goin to build another one only I'll make the motor tube a little bigger.

I made it with 110 lb. cardstock but the small details are hard with that weight paper. I think I'll try 67 lb. coverstock instead.

thanks for the update and the link.
Let us know when you get the stability figured out.

Tim

I built the ME in the duece skin and took it to work and flew it and then hung it in the back window of my tractor it impressed the guys at work. the plain ME got handed to my kids to paint/color my 5 year old has flown and recovered hers a couple of times she named it star rocket I think anyway it really is a cool thing to play with and to those who haven't done rocketry it is a great demonstrator peice. THANKS JIM:D

Well, I added more nose weight to the RVT9 model and tried it again. I finally got it where it was stable on an A10-3T. I needed a fishing split shot sinker (1/4" dia.) and three BB's held in with a 1/2" ball of modeling clay. It's just enough weight! With two BB's it went up straight but started to tumble after burnout when it slowed down.

It's no altitude model, thats for sure. I estimate that it reaches maybe 80 ft. at most on an A10-3T. It may go higher on an A3-2T because the burn is longer.

I still have a problem with the tightly wrapped tube. The motors barely fit, in fact some don't.

So after six test flights I got it flying at least straight.

I was also happy on how well the legs stood up. The model had folded paper legs and I replaced them with legs made from square party toothpicks. Rock solid.

So now I will make another one with a looser body tube and plenty of weight to begin with.

Back from LDRS...

This is a *very* cool paper rocket. With proper balancing, this should fly just fine! If you can, get a launch pix :)

I've had great fun with the paper rockets from FlisKits and from the FlisKits DOM. For most of last year, I would open the club launch with a test flight of one of these. Let's see if I can name them all:

Midnight Express
The Papernator
Caution: Rocket Launch in Progress
Odysseus
Athena
Persephone

The Odysseus, Athena, and Persephone included body tubes that were made by wrapping pieces of cardstock around MMX motors, though I did reinforce the "fins" with 1/32" balsa as directed.

For a more advanced paper rocket, I suggest the Angeline from Model Minutes. I found that bristol board works well with this one, and that the fins should be reinforced with 1/32" balsa, else they're too floppy for my liking. It's an impressive-looking speciment though. It can be found at:

https://www.modelminutes.com

Unfortunately, either the link stopped working or the site was removed :-(

Originally posted by rstaff3
On my small paper cardstock models, I merely print the patterns on my inkjet, and then cover with a clearcoat (3 coats) to help seal them. Ive done this on both free paper model conversions and Art Applewhite saucers. Unfortunately, even with several coats you need to keep them out of the rain...and puddles.

I'd like to mention the Art Applewhite (free) paper saucers once again. They're pretty fun to build and quite simple. Except for the Fin Unit on the "Micro Max Flying Saucer" (https://www.artapplewhite.com/free.html), it's very tricky (or at least it was for me), and I don't even think I got it built right.
The MicroMaxx or 13mm Delta Flying saucers are very simple (IMO), though. I recommend those for anybody who has never made a paper rocket before. They turn out to look very cool at the end! The saucers obviously don't require any recovery device, so they're easy to fly. I haven't had a chance to fly either (micromaxx flying saucer w/ fins and micromaxx delta flying saucer), but I think they'll fly fine. :)

Also, Greg,
That Saturn V is amazing! Please post the instructions/patterns online sometime when you have time (for free or for $$$, I'd pay 5 dollars for it).

BobH48,
There is quite an interesting collection of rockets on that site! How is the construction on the V-2? I'm pretty eager to try that.

Well, I'll probably pick up some more 110 lb. card stock tomorrow! This thread has sure made me drooling to build some of the designs/plans that are out there!

I was hoping to wait until Jim updated Fliskits website, but he seems pretty busy, so here's a few pics.

For May's DOM contest I submitted a 13mm paper rocket I called Lil Smoke. I won, but it was the only entry. Hopefully Jim will get the pattern posted if anyone wants to build it.

It's about 8 inches tall, and builds much like the Midnight Express except the fins are 2 part. A fin support covered by the smoke patterned coverings. It flies great on all 13mm motors. It's even stable without nose weight, but I don't recommend it. A little too much glue on the fins could make it unstable, but I did fly one with no weight, and it flew just as straight as the others. I've built 4 now I think. The first 2 were lost on their first flight, one with an A10, the other with an A3. Straight and really high, then drifting over the trees. The other 2 I still have and have flown each about 3 times on 1/4A and 1/2A motors.

Now the pics. First a static pic. The on the left was made with card stock, the one on the right was made with glossy photo paper.

Tim

And of course a liftoff shot.
The rocket is that little blur at the top of the smoke trail. :)

Tim

Very nice little rocket, slim!

BTW, that RVT model looks very similar to... the Mars Lander... HMMMMMmmmmmm...

I might have some models bumped out of queue...

Slim,

yep, sorry 'bout that... :) I *have* been very busy... Hopefully this weekend will afford me the time to do several web site updates.

Oh! And congrats too :)

jim

No need for apologies Jim. I'd rather you be working on those cool designs than adding a few files to the website.
Although I can't keep up with the new designs, I'm trying.
I've had my Nomad for a few months now, and have just gotten started on it. My dad recently moved to a big piece of land great for launching rockets, so the Nomad is getting built. :)

And I'll be sending these FlisBucks back to you as soon as I can decide what all to order. :D

Thanks,

Tim

slim,

Very cool rocket! I really like the one using photo paper for a glossy finish. I never even thought of that. I look forward to building a copy of it.

Originally posted by graylensman

BTW, that RVT model looks very similar to... the Mars Lander... HMMMMMmmmmmm...

That was exactly my thoughts when I built mine. It's a little small at 5" tall.

It just begs to be upscaled!:D :D :D

Thanks for the complements Graylensman and BobH48.

Yeah, the photo paper makes for a better looking rocket, but I find it a bit harder to work with. If you touch it with sticky or gluey fingers it'll peel the coating right off. So keep your hands as clean and free of glue as you can when working with photo paper.
And to make sure the glue sticks where I want it to, I scrape the glossy coating off the surface to be glued with a hobby knife before I apply the glue.

The pattern should be available at Fliskits.com later, but if anyone wants it, I can email it to you. I think the pattern is about 250 kb. I'm not sure about the size of the instructions file. I'll have to find my backup discs.

Tim

oops, my mistake.
The pattern file is about 330 kb, and the instructions file is 400 kb.
Still not too large for email, if anyone's interested.

Tim

Point of note when printing on photo paper for making rockets...

...clear coat it *before* building it... then the finish is much more durable than just the ink on paper.

Be sure to scrap the surface where you will be gluing and an additional coat of clear after construction helps too.

Originally posted by vsergeev
There is quite an interesting collection of rockets on that site! How is the construction on the V-2? I'm pretty eager to try that.

Funny you should mention the V2. I'm making the black and white one now and will make the camoflauge (sp?) one later.

Here are the various parts ready to assemble

Here is the tail section. I haven't put the details on it yet.

And here are the parts stacked together but not glued. It's a fairly big paper rocket. It stands about 17" tall and the main body is a 2" dia.

It looks great!

I bought 250 sheets of 110 lb card stock today.

I'm just about to print the camo-type version of the rocket right now.

I hope mine will look just as good when it's done.

Originally posted by BobH48
Funny you should mention the V2. I'm making the black and white one now and will make the camoflauge (sp?) one later.

Here are the various parts ready to assemble

This is taking quite some time to build...

Lot's of cutting :mad:
But it starts to slowly look awesome.

After I did the nose cone, it looked like crap (good thing there is a spare!). I got too much white glue around the actual graphics. I've learned several things from this:
* Use a paint brush and glue
* Brush the glue lightly over the surface to be glued (glue is too delicate of a thing!)
* Align the bottom of the tube/cone to be glued and paper clip it temporarily.
* Align the rest of the tube/cone with your fingers and hold down for about 30 seconds
* Remove paper clip and give the tube/cone a final seal with your fingers

Then it turns out great.
I attached a picture of one of the main tubes of the camoflauged V-2 rocket. It 's starting to look better and better. (Please excuse the blurryness)

Originally posted by jflis
Point of note when printing on photo paper for making rockets... ...clear coat it *before* building it... then the finish is much more durable than just the ink on paper.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that next time.

Tim

vsergeev,

How are you making out with your V2? The fins are a real pain in the a** , aren't they?

I finished mine and it took a block of clay 1" X 1" X 1/2" PLUS two 3/8" lead split shots to balance it.

I hope the weather is good this weekend. I'd like to try it. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get a launch picture (I usually only get either "rocket sitting on pad" or "smoke trail"). :rolleyes:

Originally posted by slim_t

The pattern should be available at Fliskits.com later, but if anyone wants it, I can email it to you.

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll just wait until Jim get around to posting it.

There is a paper Saturn 1B that I have been thinking about trying.
It looks like it would be the right size for a 4 X 13mm cluster. :D

It's a little intimidating, 13 sheets of parts and two of them get printed 4 times.

It can be downloaded from:

https://www76.pair.com/tjohnson/ppsm.html

Originally posted by BobH48
vsergeev,

How are you making out with your V2? The fins are a real pain in the a** , aren't they?

I finished mine and it took a block of clay 1" X 1" X 1/2" PLUS two 3/8" lead split shots to balance it.

I hope the weather is good this weekend. I'd like to try it. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get a launch picture (I usually only get either "rocket sitting on pad" or "smoke trail"). :rolleyes:

Hehe,

I haven't gotten to the fins yet (doing several things at once), but several of the tiny thin cut-outs on the sheets (which I haven't had to use yet) look like hell. (You're scaring me with the fins already!) I'm currently at the top & middle assembly. I should dedicate more time to it and get it done.

I've already had to redo the nose cone and the element right after the nose cone in the top assembly just for looks.

BTW, what size is your motor mount? 18mm? 13?
I remember a picture of it earlier.

Be sure to keep me updated after the launch.

I'll be sure to check out that Saturn 1B, it looks very cool from the pictures! Thanks for the link.

I used an 18mm engine mount since it's pretty big for a paper rocket. I used the centering rings from the printout but cut out the middle hole to just fit a BT-20. I cut them a little big so I glued a regular fiber ring to it. Here is a picture of the fin unit with the MMT in it.

Ah, I see.

That was a good approach. I'll probably go the same way. Using the rings like that was very intelligent.

I need to hurry up and finish mine!!!

Back