Pamplin Historical Park - Petersburg, VA --- Anyone been there before?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRadiator

Reaction score
I'll be visiting Pamplin Park December 21 and have had this Museum/Park on my hitlist for quite sometime. I have the week off before Christmas, so I thought I'd make the drive and see what it's all about. I wanted to ask if anyone has been at Pamplin before, and if so, what are some of the exhibits you'd recommend? I've already been told they shoot the cannon off at noon everyday, so I will certainly be there in time for that! Combustion, fire, smoke..... ehh, call it the residuals of a bad habit!

It's a very nice park. It is privately endowed, so it may be a little different from any govt. parks you visited. Not quite as PC, and a little better maintained.

As far as what to do, everything there can be easily done in a day. The museum is especially nice, and when you go to the battlefield, the earthworks are in extraordinarly good shape. My boys thought that it was really cool that you could still see the dam the Confederates built to create a water barrier.

Have a good time. While the battle there isn't as significant as say Gettysburg or Appomattox, it is extremely well preserved.

You should also consider visting the Battle of the Crater in Petersburg if you have the time. That is a truly unique battle and site. Have fun!

Thanks for the tip prowlerguy! I'll look to see if I can fit the Battle of the Crater into the trip. I figure if I'm up there, I might as well! I'll be bringing my History major (and rocketeer) little brother along. I think this is shaping up to be a fine trip! :)

Depending on how long you will be in the area, there are lots of Civil/Revolutionary War sites around. Richmond, of course, has many sites, starting w/ the White House of the Confederacy, and ending with a series of parks that trace the defensive perimeter at the end of the war.

Colonial Williamsburg is very nice (if a little vapid), especially around Christmas. Yorktown has a nice battlefield, and Jamestown has a lot of activity with the new excavations and preparations for 2007.

At any rate, have a nice trip. And if you come on a third Sunday, you are always welcome to launch with the Vikings.

Back