Other hobbies?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way too many hobbies for me also. Besides rockets:

1.) Radio control airplanes, helicopters and cars. Current project is finishing up a 1/3 scale 21 lb Spacewalker (open cockpit low wing)

2.) Model railroading. Been working on an N scale layout for a while.

3.) Bicycling.

4.) Roller Coasters. It's my mission in life to add as many new ones before I die! Currently at 161 different coasters including the tallest and fastest on the planet.

5.) Electronics experimenting. I'm an electronics tech by trade and love to experiment.

6.) Computers

Mike

Anotehr with too many..

main ones right now:
WoW" & "Need For Speed"
R/C planes & building (flying them is just a sideline!)
R/C Sailing (Building "Footies"!)
Lego
Fly fishing (and spin casting)
Home renovations
MT. biking (trying to get back into it...)
Photography

side lined:
Paper / cards stock models and chain mail "knitting"

And I soon hope to try my hand at fly -tieing

legotower1.jpg

pauls planes.jpg

I got a few..
04f0745b.jpg

da52a648.jpg

pcpics039.jpg

ZRX051.jpg

I'm gathering up the pieces to build a ratrod myself:) I've known about the body I get to use from an old (from Jr. HS) friend. It's a 1933 Hupmobile and it should make a cool rod. If it's too far gone, which I doubt, then there's the old panel truck that juust miight woork;)

Check out rpeek on youtube, he's working over a ratrod and has a bunch of vids you can watch.

I also spend an inordinant amount of time playing City of Heroes and Dark Orbit :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOMAgdk8v_Y&feature=PlayList&p=EFA7869136219577&index=1

I'll check the video out tomorrow, thanks for the link!

So where are you located geographically? I'm looking at a 54 dodge truck cab right now; the '33 would be AWESOME ratted out! Do you post on any Rat Rod forums? I like ratrodsrule.com and killbillet.com I'd love to work on an old panel truck--maybe a nice 6" chop. :D

What do you do for giggles besides rockets?

Besides rockets.......lets see..............

Shooting muzzleloading firearms, percussion, flintlock, pistol, shotgun and hunting with them.:bangbang:

Camping, fishing, reading anything and everything about WWII.

Is drinking coffee a hobby?:caffeine:

Playing with the grandson, feels like a hobby.:cool:

Taking pictures with my Minolta x 370, still love 35mm.

RC Nitro monster trucks ( my son and I both have HPI Savages. )
Nitro engine modding.
HO scale trains. ( I have a very low rent layout but my son and I
do go to any train layout open house we can find.)
1:1 scale train watching. ( I do most of my watching around Altoona
PA when I go to that area every two months to work on my folks house)
Reading Technical manuals of any type.
1:32 scale digital slot cars.
Use to like riding my harley but I'm waiting for the yuppies to get tired of
riding and giving riding a bad name!
working with the boy scouts.
Collecting old cameras.
Computers.
Going to car shows and Thinking, I should have keep my 1970 Olds 442.
Making ends meet on a 32 hour work week.
People watching. ( Preferably down the shore ) <---Thats how they say it here in NJ. They also say wader not water!
Typing really long and boring replys to forum threads!!!

Note! Most of my hobbys are to include my 14 year old son.
Seems like only yesterday he was 5 and I was just getting
back into rockets to show him how much fun I had as a kid.
I don't like rockets now, I just do it for him. Ah thats what
I tell the wife. Its all for our son. te hee!!

Last edited:
....and there will be some interesting posts I'm sure.
A lot of creative people in this hobby.

Me...
I grew up overseas and without a lot of American kids around I dabbled in drawing and painting quite a bit, so I still try and find time to do that - (and it served me well professionally...been looking into egg tempera - ? - go check out Andrew Wyeth/Robert Vickrey/Ernst Fuchs).

I also grew up building plastic models and continue with that, 1/48th scale rotary wing..mostly modified/scratchbuilds of subjects not available in 1/48th. Resin casting and vacumn forming are transferable skills to scale rocketry...

Did RC soaring for years and loved it...when I moved I lost access to club winches so I had to go with glow fuel ...the picture is of my Telemaster with an "in progress" RC shuttle...(looking to combine RC/Gliding and rocketry in some bigger projects).

Oh yeah...the garden in the background is part of the "to do" list for any free time that my wife finds out about.

All of that, and this "rocketry" thing left little time for the outdoor activities I used to do in my crazy youth...(skydiving, camping and fishing).
I've gotten very sedentary.
No wonder I'm gaining weight.

AH-8G Little Bird.jpg

Mi-1front.jpg

STS-Tele04.jpg

Last edited:
Other hobbies are:
1. Woodworking
2. Photography (finally got a decent Nikon DSLR)
3. Gardening
4. Home remodeling/carpentry
5. Reading
6. Gun Collecting / target shooting

By far, woodworking and rocketry are the biggest, in terms of time spent. In terms of money spent, that would be #6 (since the elections ...) :)

Here are a few of my recent projects -- a corner china cabinet for my daughter (and now hanging in my 2 yr. old granddaughter's room), one of my dozens of cutting boards / serving platters, and some dog bowl platforms for aging pups in our home ... my wife insisted they match the kitchen cabinets! Tile keeps them easy to maintain, and the dogs rather enjoy their "elevated" status ...

jul07 022.jpg

jul07 069.jpg

dogbowl-stands.jpg

Last edited:
Other than rocketry:

1) Combat Robots

2) Antique tractors and flywheel gas engines

3) Precision machining (Used in 1, 2, & in rocketry)

4) Welding (see 1 & 2)

5) Collecting antique kerosene lanterns (Collection has been published in an antique magazine)

6) Auto crossing and road rally driving in mt MINI Cooper S.

7) Astronomy (6" Newtonian)

8) Freshwater fishing

9) Electronics (Also do it for a living)

10) Any kind of SciFi (not SyFy :dark:)

Do you think I have too many hobbies?

Other hobbies are:
1. Woodworking
2. Photography (finally got a decent Nikon DSLR)
3. Gardening
4. Home remodeling/carpentry
5. Reading
6. Gun Collecting / target shooting
Looks almost just like my list!

My hobbies are
meeting women - at rocket launches
talking to children - about rocketry
looking at new cars and trucks - to see how much rocket stuff they can haul
Driving across this beautiful country - to rocket meets
cleaning my basement - so I have room for rockets
surfing the web - for rocketry sites
searching for a part time job - so I can buy more rockets
playing the lottery - so I can quit my job and devote more time to rockets
watching the Hershey Bears in winter and the Lancaster Barnstormers in summer - while thinking of rockets
chasing my 45 year dream - of starting my own rocket company

My hobbies are:
Rocketry
Model rocketry
Building model rockets
&#1056;&#1072;&#1082;&#1077;&#1090;&#1086;&#1084;&#1086;&#1076;&#1077;&#1083;&#1080;&#1079;&#1098;&#1084; (Rocketry)
Rocketry-related electronics

I'll check the video out tomorrow, thanks for the link!

So where are you located geographically? I'm looking at a 54 dodge truck cab right now; the '33 would be AWESOME ratted out! Do you post on any Rat Rod forums? I like ratrodsrule.com and killbillet.com I'd love to work on an old panel truck--maybe a nice 6" chop. :D

I'm out here in Idaho, long way from NY;)

I'll have to check out the ratrod forums, didn't know such things existed(but should have known).

The Hupmobile has been in the same place for 40 or more years. It's not in too bad of shape but I really haven't been able to asertain if it's viable as a body to use. Planned to weld up a frame so that's not a problem. If the body's too thin from rust then I plan on coating the entire inside with epoxy and fiberglass with wood reinforcement.

Like I said, if the body is too far gone there's the panel truck, Dodge circa 1949 or there abouts.

Mine are in my profile ;)

But to save you the need to click a link....
Skiing, Mountain Biking, Geocaching (from time to time)

I am surprised to see my other passion/job computer programming is not listed. :cool:

I am a long time scale modeler, having been active in IPMS for years, I've won multiple national level awards (all aircraft related), and have been a chairman for the national convention.

I also have a very large Star Wars collection that I've assembled over the last 32 years.

I love sports, and still try to find a way to play competitively... Still trying to figure out how to strap on the pads again... (now how many days until September 5th?)

Of course, keeping up with my 2.5 year old daughter is a hobby onto itself...

Paul

Paintball. Used to do it semi-professionally (D2/3 x-ball if that means anything to you). Now i just play for fun.

Hockey. Mostly roller pick up games but its a good way to stay in shape.

I've been interested in geology for many years. I've done a lot of rockhounding here in Alberta and B.C. I did a fair bit of stone sculpture with soft media(soapstone, alabaster,wonderstone), harder stuff like(greenstone,marble,serpentine) and progressed into the lapidary arts making things from agate etc. and polishing ammolite. I was active in the local rock club and ran the children's program for a couple of years but when the rocketry bug bit I lost interest in it. Also my own kids aren't ready to go rockhounding yet as the terrain where I go is challenging. Ted

Identifying woods by sight and feel:

That cutting board is Birch, Oak, Walnut, Maple and.... purple heart?
You were almost exact. From the middle -- maple, walnut, oak, purple heart, and then walnut all around. So many of the light woods like maple and birch look so similar. Sometimes I tag the lumber I buy so I remember what it is when I get home, mostly the exotics with unusual names. The china cabinet is maple, with a few trim highlights in purple heart.

With contest flying, and sport flying, sometimes designing some unusual new models, that alone is a lot.

Real other “hobbies”, would mostly be flying R/C planes (mostly electric powered sailplanes, as I have moved away from hi-started “pure” sailplanes). Now, the R/C planes part also supports the R/C Rocket Boosted Gliders I fly, as far as general stick time, and practicing thermals. But I do enjoy just going out to fly R/C planes for the sake of going out to fly R/C planes. The fact that it also helps with practice and reflexes for flying R/C RBG’s is simply a “bonus”.

Also Photography, sort of, but most of that is done as hobby-related. For example I do not go out someplace for the sake of taking neat photos, I try to take neat photos while I happen to be at places for other reasons.

Computer, sort of, but a lot of that is also hobby related.

Electronics, sort of, but that also is mostly hobby related.

Sports - watching NASCAR races on TV mostly. Though I did finally go to a race in person last October (Talladega). Link to pics here:
https://homepage.mac.com/georgegassaway/GRP/News/George/TAL/Talladega.html

Games - have dabbled with some computer games, particularly flight simulators. But for game console type games, it’s just one, EA Sports NASCAR 2008 on PS-2. I even got a refurbished steering wheel to do that one up right. Here is a link for a short race I ran on the Sonoma Road Coarse track in California, which is the hardest track to master of all the tracks in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSubK0UhQLY

- George Gassaway

DSCN0226.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

SonomaNASCAR-pic.jpg

Back