OpenRocket on Raspberry Pi ???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomBroad

Old Time Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any SPECIFIC information on this, so I'm starting a new thread ...
Does OpenRocket 22.02 Beta run on a Raspberry Pi? Its been running great on my Mac, but I'm trying to install it on my workshop Raspberry Pi.

This is a model 4 running updated "raspbian buster InRelease" build (considered the "standard" Raspberry system, derived and updated from Denbian repositories). The CPU is "armv7l" architecture. When attempting to install beta release I get the following error:
624: ./OpenRocket-22.02.beta.03-Linux.sh: /home/pi/Downloads/OpenRocket-22.02.beta.03-Linux.sh.24642.dir/jre/bin/java: Exec format error

Is this supposed to work and I need to rebuild the Raspberry Pi to have a truly pristine platform?
Or is this a known issue?
Thanks for any guidance.

I haven't been able to find any SPECIFIC information on this, so I'm starting a new thread ...
Does OpenRocket 22.02 Beta run on a Raspberry Pi? Its been running great on my Mac, but I'm trying to install it on my workshop Raspberry Pi.

This is a model 4 running updated "raspbian buster InRelease" build (considered the "standard" Raspberry system, derived and updated from Denbian repositories). The CPU is "armv7l" architecture. When attempting to install beta release I get the following error:
624: ./OpenRocket-22.02.beta.03-Linux.sh: /home/pi/Downloads/OpenRocket-22.02.beta.03-Linux.sh.24642.dir/jre/bin/java: Exec format error

Is this supposed to work and I need to rebuild the Raspberry Pi to have a truly pristine platform?
Or is this a known issue?
Thanks for any guidance.
The version of Java that is packaged with OR is expecting to run on x86 hardware. You need to use the ARM version of Java since the RPi is ARM based. In previous versions of OR that is easily done but I haven't tried with the new version. You'd have to extract the JAR file and run it using the ARM version of Java.

Note that the 3D stuff will not work at all on ARM right now. This will be fixed eventually, but it's going to take time. Work is in progress.

As far as I recall, other than the 3D, the JAR file works fine with the ARM JRE.

I'm not too confident of performance on the Raspberry Pi, but it should at least work. Please report your experience here.

Back