OpenRocket: packaged installers for Windows and Mac to solve all your Java problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Kyle Adler

Reaction score

neil_w

Ennui poster child
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Haha thank you. I thought it might be a bit too specific to ask here, but I couldn't find anywhere that might be better. That page you linked looks like it subscribes you to the dev mailing list, is there somewhere to contact them there?
Yeah just send an email to the list after you sign up.

Kyle Adler

Reaction score
Yeah just send an email to the list after you sign up.
Ah, gotcha. I sent them an email, and if we figure out how to change it I'll post an update.

Quick question for @neil_w for someone more experienced with the forum, is it worth creating a new post with an update on this particular solution to help people find it when they search, or do comments show up well enough in searches?

neil_w

Ennui poster child
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. I sent them an email, and if we figure out how to change it I'll post an update.

Quick question for @neil_w for someone more experienced with the forum, is it worth creating a new post with an update on this particular solution to help people find it when they search, or do comments show up well enough in searches?
If it's not really well-matched to the topic of the thread (and in this case I think it is not) then best to just post a new thread with a suitably descriptive title. I don't know if what you're asking is of particularly wide interest, but it's much less likely to be found buried in this thread.

Kyle Adler

Reaction score
If it's not really well-matched to the topic of the thread (and in this case I think it is not) then best to just post a new thread with a suitably descriptive title. I don't know if what you're asking is of particularly wide interest, but it's much less likely to be found buried in this thread.
That's what I was thinking, seems obscure enough that it would only be found with its own thread. Thanks for all the help!

JoePfeiffer

Reaction score
Speaking as the guy who put the AppImage together.... good question! I've got no idea. I'll try to find an answer and post it when I do -- if (reasonable) changes are required in the AppImage I'll make them and put up a new one.

JoePfeiffer

Reaction score
I wound up putting up a new AppImage, which defaults to GTK3 if available. It can be found at
https://github.com/openrocket/openr...se-15.03/OpenRocket-15.03-2021_03_25.AppImage
It features some newer libraries, and (most importantly) will use GTK3 instead of GTK2 if it's available on your system.

In order to specify a theme when running it, just prepend GTK_THEME=theme-name to the command line when you run it, e.g.
$ GTK_THEME=Adwaita-dark OpenRocket-15.03-2021_03_25.AppImage

I'd appreciate it if anyone using the old AppImage could download the new one and give it a try. If I don't get any bug reports in a week or so I'll take the old one down.

JoePfeiffer

Reaction score
Ah, there were some issues with the new AppImage, and trying to get a better one working is proving problematic. I'll keep people posted...

QUOTE="JoePfeiffer, post: 2119607, member: 13709"]
I wound up putting up a new AppImage, which defaults to GTK3 if available. It can be found at
https://github.com/openrocket/openr...se-15.03/OpenRocket-15.03-2021_03_25.AppImage
It features some newer libraries, and (most importantly) will use GTK3 instead of GTK2 if it's available on your system.

In order to specify a theme when running it, just prepend GTK_THEME=theme-name to the command line when you run it, e.g.
$ GTK_THEME=Adwaita-dark OpenRocket-15.03-2021_03_25.AppImage

I'd appreciate it if anyone using the old AppImage could download the new one and give it a try. If I don't get any bug reports in a week or so I'll take the old one down.
[/QUOTE]

JoePfeiffer

Reaction score
I've spent longer than it's worth trying to get themes to work well with the appimage, and also run on a wide variety of distributions. Sorry, there are better things to work on in the new release...