OpenRocket: packaged installers for Windows and Mac to solve all your Java problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have time, could you drop me a note offline (or point me to some documentation) about why God Mode causes this issue -- I'd always understood it to just be an undocumented shortcut menu within the Control Panel.
It was a Java bug, that affected the version included with the packaged installer. As far as I can tell, but I'm not exactly a Java programmer, the JFileChooser class wasn't able to handle that special folder and the desktop contents gets parsed by default. Putting the God Mode folder somewhere else, doesn't automatically trigger the bug, but I guess it would still happen of you open that locate.

If you want to dig further, you can find some relevant Java bug reports in this older thread here.

Reinhard

I believe the installer is 32bit. I ran the installer and let it sit at the "Ready to Install" window, then launched Process Explorer from SysInternals and did some digging. Under the "Strings" tab, one of the printable strings reads as "This program must be run under Win32". So, if I am right, it saying it is a 32bit executable.

Also, if it was a 64bit installer, I believe there would have been many complaints about it not running or crashing on older Windows systems.
Maybe I'm too late with this- if you run the installer under Windows 10 32bit you get an error message that it can't run under that version of Windows.
I don't know when the masses switched Windows versions. My desktop computer was built in early 2009. Then it had 32 bit Windows 8, I upgraded it to 32 bit Windows 10 when 10 came out. I've since upgraded from spinning drive to SSD but otherwise the machine is just the way I built it originally, and I use it every day.

Last edited:
How old a version of Windows will the current package installer work on? I've got a friend that's still running Vista on a laptop, and runs an old version of RockSim on it.

How old a version of Windows will the current package installer work on? I've got a friend that's still running Vista on a laptop, and runs an old version of RockSim on it.
Only one way to find out! ;)

Seriously, no one on the dev team is running Vista, so just trying it is the only way to answer this.

Hi Neil
we have upgraded our PC to 64 bit operating system. I went to the original post in this thread to install OR and when it opened it was an older version which did not have the Stage/Boosters/Pods section in the add components section. Is there another post which I should be downloading from instead?

I'm running a version20-11alpha 16 on my wife's laptop presently and was going to install on the upgraded PC

Al

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back