OpenRocket: packaged installers for Windows and Mac to solve all your Java problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
No, not normal. Did you follow this instruction:
The application uses a standard installer, but it doesn't (at present) provide a shortcut on the desktop or the start menu. After installing, the actual executable file for the application is installed into your user/AppData/Local/OpenRocket folder. So you can go in there, right click the "OpenRocket.exe" file, and create a shortcut, pin it to the taskbar and/or pin it in the start menu, whatever.
Where is that instruction? The web page http://wiki.openrocket.info/Downloading_&_Installing simply says
Windows

OpenRocket 15.03 Installer for Windows

Download the installer, run it to install OpenRocket, much like other Windows installers.
No hint on how to run the program after it's installed. It took me quite a while to find the executable under AppData/Local (Windows apparently normally hides AppData from user and refuses to search it for applications?). OTOH, I'm a Linux persons who rarely uses Windows. Maybe regular Windows users know to look there for installed applications.

It would be awfully nice if the installer offered to create a start menu entry, a desktop shortcut, and set up the association with the .ork file suffix. Though I rarely use Windows, I do package for Windows some applications I developed and maintain, and all of the installation systems I've used made it trivial to do those standard post-install tasks.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Where is that instruction? The web page http://wiki.openrocket.info/Downloading_&_Installing simply says

No hint on how to run the program after it's installed. It took me quite a while to find the executable under AppData/Local (Windows apparently normally hides AppData from user and refuses to search it for applications?). OTOH, I'm a Linux persons who rarely uses Windows. Maybe regular Windows users know to look there for installed applications.

It would be awfully nice if the installer offered to create a start menu entry, a desktop shortcut, and set up the association with the .ork file suffix. Though I rarely use Windows, I do package for Windows some applications I developed and maintain, and all of the installation systems I've used made it trivial to do those standard post-install tasks.
That info is in the first post of this thread.

neil_w

Tenet Rocketworks
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I made these installers in an unofficial capacity to solve a problem. The Windows installer is not great, as you correctly point out. Future releases will be distributed with "official" installers, which should be better behaved.

neil_w

Tenet Rocketworks
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there some reason that information can't or shouldn't be added to the Wiki page that describes how to download and install OpenRocket?
No, it absolutely should be added. I didn't even remember that the wiki had been updated. I will do that.

edit: Done.

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
No, it absolutely should be added. I didn't even remember that the wiki had been updated. I will do that.
I'd be happy to do that — I just didn't want to step on anybody's toes if there was a reason that it hadn't been done. I'd also be happy to have a go at creating an installer that (by default) creates a start-menu entry, a desktop shortcut, and creates the file extension association. However, I know little about Java runtimes (especially on Windows), and would need pointers to all of the "source" files and a specification for where they need to be installed.

neil_w

Tenet Rocketworks
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be happy to do that — I just didn't want to step on anybody's toes if there was a reason that it hadn't been done. I'd also be happy to have a go at creating an installer that (by default) creates a start-menu entry, a desktop shortcut, and creates the file extension association. However, I know little about Java runtimes (especially on Windows), and would need pointers to all of the "source" files and a specification for where they need to be installed.
Thanks for the offer, but no need as the work for the installer for the next version of OR has already been done (not by me). And I've updated the wiki.

On the other hand, if you want to contribute to the OR project in general we can use all the help we can get. :)