OOP Clone Ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budro0

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, I bought a bunch of building supplies on craigslist. In the mix was an old Estes Tomcat and while I was searching around for what that might be worth, I stumbled across a couple oop rocket plans sites.

So now I'm thinking I'd like to do a clone of one of these old kits. But I'm kind of stumbling around trying to figure out which. I'm not a huge fan of the intricate and complex - I've built more MD than I care to admit. I saw the Estes Mako plans and really like the idea of a ring fin with fin supports, although I'd simplify to just the essentials. And do a 29mm MD...

Anyway, what would you suggest? Any great kits to recommend?

Also, I've got an Estes Tomcat that may end up on ebay, unless someone is really interested in it here.

Attachments

• Mako.pdf
    51.2 KB · Views: 59
@Budro0 I would be interested in that Tomcat if you are willing to let it go for a reasonable price. Several years on USS Enterprise mingling with Tomcats make it special to me.

Estes Omega K-52P and K-52 w/Cineroc (erockets/Semroc's got a Retro-Repro that's close, but not a 100% copy).

I jumped the gun without thinking. I really don't need another kit for the pile. Tomcat is still available. My apologies to all.

For me, one of the best parts of rocketry are rebuilding the old out of production designs. Since I'm building them I might as well make them bigger.
Did you say 3" Arapahoe? I'm in.

I considered upscaling the Mako, but I think it will be plenty of rocket at 29mm... I did get a sim drawn up for it, but I'm trying to figure out if I'm properly inputting the ring fin. I'll post it up tomorrow for you all. I think it's going to be a great looking bird.

Currently have the following upscales either in process or have gathered the parts.

Estes Sizzler 1906 in BT60.
Estes Falcon Commander. Going to the PSII 2.0 tube using the Trajector Nose Cone.
Estes Argosy. Going to the PSII 2.0 tube using the Trajector Nose Cone.
Estes Goblin using the PSII 3.0 Der Red Max nose cone and body tube.
Quest Nike-K upscale in 2.5 lower, 2.0 upper.
Estes Vector in BT60
Estes Nasa Pegasus in BT70.
Estes Ninja in BT70.

Last edited:
Currently have the following upscales either in process or have gathered the parts.

Estes Sizzler 1906 in BT60.
Estes Falcon Commander. Going to the PSII 2.0 tube using the Trajector Nose Cone.
Estes Argosy. Going to the PSII 2.0 tube using the Trajector Nose Cone.
Estes Goblin using the PSII 3.0 Der Red Max nose cone and body tube.
Quest Nike-K upscale in 2.5 lower, 2.0 upper.
Estes Vector in BT60
Estes Nasa Pegasus in BT70.
Estes Ninja in BT70.

I love all of these. If you aren't posting build/flight threads elsewhere, I'd love to see pictures.

Here's my sim of the Mako. It's not quite to scale - I opted for 24/29mm motor/body tube, as opposed to the 18/24mm original. Besides deleting the dowels, I also rounded the larger fin tips.

So now it could easily be converted into a 29mm MD...

Attachments

• Mako OOP.ork
    161.5 KB · Views: 10
This is something I enjoy doing. I've mentioned in other posts my project of cloning my early model rocket fleet, from 1967 - 1974. I picked 45 models and have about half of them built or under construction. Many of my original builds were of the various Estes plans that were published, e.g. the 1966 publication "Model Rocketry, The Educational Space-Age Hobby". The attached photo is one of the plans in that booklet, some of you senior modelers might recognize it. The only plan in that booklet I haven't done is the 'Sputnik Too'. There is certainly a lot to choose from, and several resources that are available. Always wanted to upscale the Estes Plan #55, Excalibur, need to do that someday.

Thanks Budro0 for posting.

Attachments

• #906 - Predicta I.JPG
    #906 - Predicta I.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 42
This is something I enjoy doing. I've mentioned in other posts my project of cloning my early model rocket fleet, from 1967 - 1974. I picked 45 models and have about half of them built or under construction. Many of my original builds were of the various Estes plans that were published, e.g. the 1966 publication "Model Rocketry, The Educational Space-Age Hobby". The attached photo is one of the plans in that booklet, some of you senior modelers might recognize it. The only plan in that booklet I haven't done is the 'Sputnik Too'. There is certainly a lot to choose from, and several resources that are available. Always wanted to upscale the Estes Plan #55, Excalibur, need to do that someday.

Thanks Budro0 for posting.
That's gorgeous, I love those swoopy fins

Back