Okay to post this?? ("you are all going to love")

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
First.......I have a suspicion that this might be considered "too political" to post here, but I think it might be okay given the subject matter. IF this is out of line, and folks (or admin) have a problem with it, I will delete it asap with apologies.

Second.....the source of this little tidbit is Democratic Underground, which I imagine not too many folks here frequent (though I know there are some). Yes, again, that makes it inherently "political" but I find that the source itself is one of the things that makes it interesting.

Third.....if this was one of you all, let me know who your are (as opposed to being "ripcord") here on TRF.

All that said, I found this little post on there this morning, under the title "You are all going to love this":
I fly large high power rockets as a hobby and part of what I do is make my own motors, I hold permit from California as a pyrotechnician, a low explosive users permit from the federal government and live on 10 acres in the desert. My neighbor is upset that I am liberal and not willing to support Trump and saw a delivery marked explosives, which I have stored on my property for over 10 years and called the Sheriff. He says that I am receiving explosives as part of a project run by the Biden administration to violently suppress Trump supporters in the area and need to be taken out as quickly as possibly to protect real Americans, the Sheriff's office knows about the explosives since they are permitted and refused to respond so he came out and asked me how much it cost to buy off the local cops and that this isn't over.

Again, if I've stepped over the line posting, this, I apologize and will delete.

s6

My advice would be: make sure the magazine locks are up to snuff, and expect more than usual visits from the BATFE :-(

Politics used to be keeping the status quo. But the last 4 to 6 years have polarized people so much that even people I thought were sane have become nut jobs. The far right and far left are taking over and leaving the main stream behind. And it can only get worse.

The poster could probably receive rainbows and unicorns and still be accused of plotting against the Trump supporters. With BLM protestors and insurrectionist militia, politics is nuts these days.

The problem with common sense is that it's not all that common. It doesn't make sense that is so, but sadly true.

+1 on the locks. I'd also suggest cameras to record any untoward activities around your property.

Politics used to be keeping the status quo. But the last 4 to 6 years have polarized people so much that even people I thought were sane have become nut jobs. The far right and far left are taking over and leaving the main stream behind. And it can only get worse.

Try the last 12-16 years...

You know, the nutty neighbor could actually be mentally ill. I know that's a fear of some, that the gov't will deem people mentally ill because of their political views aka Stalin, Mao, etc, but a cruel saying is that just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't really out to get you!

We had a run-in with a neighbor who I'd previously stood up for when she accused others of harming her property, harrassing her, etc. Then something happened and she turned on us. The accusations she made ran against everything I knew to be true from years of experience and smacked strongly of legitimate paranoia. And then I understood what se'd been putting other neighbors through over the years.

This character could have some other legitmate disorder associated that amplifies his aggressiveness and fears. +1 on the locks AND the cameras!

Update....further down in the thread that "ripcord" posted on DU, he noted that, among other things rocketry related, he apparently worked on that recent Ford/rocket commercial. Said that they were on it for 4 days, and "burned 7 motors" filming.

s6

Update....further down in the thread that "ripcord" posted on DU, he noted that, among other things rocketry related, he apparently worked on that recent Ford/rocket commercial. Said that they were on it for 4 days, and "burned 7 motors" filming.
That's gotta' be Rick then.

EDIT: I guessed wrong, not Rick at all.

Last edited:
The divisions in the country IMHO are being driven by the politerati elites. The best way for them to continue minting millionaires out of thousandaires in Washington is to pit the voters against one another. If they can sow enough division between the public groups it keeps the spotlight off them. They are joined in this effort by the billionaire class who want to make sure their gravy train continues by controlling the voting in Washington. Forget about what the politicians say, follow the money.

You all think the last few years of Politics have been nuts?
The next Few years are going to be Insane !!!
I hope not. We've got to get out of our echo chambers, stop letting these cable outlets stir the pot, and start listening to one another again. But like PatD said, that's the last thing either party in DC wants. Follow the money.

(Trying to stay withing forum guidelines...)

s6

Disclaimer:
I am not 'ripcord' and never been to whatever the 'Democratic Underground' is; there were lots of video production people there. Perhaps I might have been part of an organization like that 45-50 years ago in my college days. I won't say what my politics are today but people who know me know, hint: I voted for Trump.
And yes, I have a MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN red hat and support the 1st and 2nd amendments.

And as far as the Ford commercial goes, I fired a lot more than seven M-impulse motors for that project...I still have the used 'single use' DMS motor cases to show (I'm going to try to reuse them for sugar propellant).

ps Don't delete this thread until people have a chance to see my disclaimer ;)

Last edited:
The problem with common sense is that it's not all that common. It doesn't make sense that is so, but sadly true.

+1 on the locks. I'd also suggest cameras to record any untoward activities around your property.
...and a good dog (or 2). Doberman or German Shepard would be my choices.

The divisions in the country IMHO are being driven by the politerati elites. The best way for them to continue minting millionaires out of thousandaires in Washington is to pit the voters against one another. If they can sow enough division between the public groups it keeps the spotlight off them. They are joined in this effort by the billionaire class who want to make sure their gravy train continues by controlling the voting in Washington. Forget about what the politicians say, follow the money.
ALWAYS follow the money...

I’m not sure what to say about the original post other than what is driving division in our country today is not politics. At least not politics as we usually think about it — differences in policy and governing philosophy. What we have now is a breakdown in the understanding of truth versus untruth, reality versus lies. Politics is about differing opinions about policy and principles and what should be done about a SHARED SET OF FACTS ABOUT REALITY. We don’t have that right now.

Two examples down the "don't make rash assumptions*" line:

Last summer, there were rumors running around that protesters/rioters (take your pick) from Portland had set the wildfires in the Oregon Cascades. A few BLM fire crews even got blocked on their way to the fires. The problem was that when the conspiracy-minded people heard "BLM crews" on the police/fire radios, they interpreted it as Black Lives Matter and not Bureau of Land Management.

My daughter's boyfriend is of South Asian descent and likes to longboard. There's a road near here that is particularly good except that a homeowner along the road keeps calling the cops on them. The last time, the officer showed up, told the homeowner that the kids were allowed to skateboard on city streets, and then complimented the kids on their full safety gear and good lookout system for cars coming down the road.

* Never make assumptions about rashes!

I 100% agree with Thirsty about the issue of shared facts. It's not possible to meet someone halfway if they're saying that the sky is green.

I am a semi-liberal and while I never heard of the "underground" , if it is true I find it rather humourous. Sad but still slightly funny. Neighbors can be so cruel.

I’m not sure what to say about the original post other than what is driving division in our country today is not politics. At least not politics as we usually think about it — differences in policy and governing philosophy. What we have now is a breakdown in the understanding of truth versus untruth, reality versus lies. Politics is about differing opinions about policy and principles and what should be done about a SHARED SET OF FACTS ABOUT REALITY. We don’t have that right now.
And the problem with truth when under the control of social media sites and main stream media that decide who and who does not get a voice is that you don't know the truth. You get the truth that they want you to have. Sounds a lot like Pravda. And remember these media are owned by the billionaires.

Last edited:
And the problem with truth when under the control of social media sites and main stream media that decide who and who does not get a voice is that you don't know the truth. You get the truth that they want you to have. Sounds a lot like Pravda. And remember these media are owned by the billionaires.

One thing I’ve noticed is that the big deal in media bias isn’t so much the stories that are reported but the ones that aren’t. In general, the mainstream press stays fairly close to the truth in what they report, though all bets are off on the talking head commentary side. If MSNBC and Fox News both say something is true, there’s an awfully good chance it is.

Smaller/non corporate sites can be a good place for the news the big boys aren’t reporting, though I think a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted. That’s even more so when they tell you that they are the only source of the truth or start talking about Jewish space lasers.

I like a rule on one of the left-leaning sites I read—extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If you’re going to claim that Martians killed JFK, you’d better have some really good video and physical evidence.

Sad story. Interesting opportunity. Invite him to your next High Power Launch. Doesn’t cost you much if anything. Demonstrates where all that “explosive” is actually going. Probably won’t turn your neighbor into a liberal. Might turn him into a friend (admittedly odds are against you with the person as described, but not completely out of the realm of possibility.)

to heal this country, it starts with individuals willing, not to change their beliefs or even their voting and legal actions according TO those beliefs, but will to always be kind and respectful to others regardless of the others’ beliefs. Stop highlighting the differences and look for the similarities. Worry less about being a good liberal or a good conservative and just try to be a nice person.

you don’t fight fire with the fire. You fight it with water (well, MOST fires, anyway;))

thanks for the post. Hope your next launch is soon and succesful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back