O-ring grease/lubrication

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knuganga

Reaction score
Hi as a Norwegian rocketer it´s kind of hard to get hands on lubrication brands for RMS o-rings. The brands mentioned in similar threads are not for sale in Norway. Is there any common oil/lubricant/ grease etc. that can be used? Such as ordinary engine oil, vaseline or others?

Thanks for any hints

Knut

It's not recommended and someone will tell you why you shouldn't, but I used vaseline for years. I only quit when I won an o-ring luber from Aerocon, and decided I'd start using the proper grease to keep it wetted. Loki says you can use spit for his motors :)

Be aware that this is critical when using hybrids.

I've been using Vasoline for my reloads and I have used reloads from little D15T's to an I285R.

3 years of MPR & HPR, 50+ reloads, no problems.:D

After talking with experienced HPR fliers in my club, I followed in their footsteps on not using any lube at all for RMS reloads. I *do* however bring along a watertight container of mild soapy water to wash my casings (or at least let them soak till I get home) as soon as they are cool enough to handle. I'm also particularly careful to keep my hands & work area clean (at home & the field) when assembling motors so that dirt does not get on the O-rings.

Despite the warnings against using petroleum based lubricants, I do know of people that swear by Vaseline... <shrug>

Good, bad, or indifferent, try several different solutions & see what works best for you & that you feel comfortable with.

vaseline works for most RMS consumer use and lower end HPR cases, by just merely using enough to make the o-rings shiney.

I use DOW 111 for HPR motors and my EX hardware.

For Hybrids I use Krytox.

In all cases, I only use enough to make the o-rings shine. The liners tubes get a good coat as well, to make for ease of clean-up.

Vaseline I assume is readily available, and Aerocon has all the other lubes I have mentioned.

HTH

Go to you're local vehicle parts shop and get some of the high temperature lube that is used for the pistons/seals in car brakes. The small tubes don't cost much and they last for years.

Back