Nuclear Sledgehammer Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CWbullet--tell me about your Honest John kit. According to my wife, I have a "problem" with Hojo's since I've built at least 30 of them. The largest was 7.5" however. Nothing like the one you have. Was it a kit? Any pixs of it?

Given the rarity of the kit (based on what I've heard), worth the wait and makes sense to take the time to do it right. :)👍

I hope I have done it justice. I looked at it 3 days ago and I got a crap ton of sanding to do.

I feel for you...I HATE sanding, but do it for the end result. Try using the non dominant hand more if the tennis elbow is bothering you.
I will. Actually, maybe using my dominate hand might raise my disability rating. Ignore that and do not share that with my physician.

I hope not.
Me either, the nosecone alone on mine weighs something in the neighborhood of 18lbs, enough that I fly the main as a free bag setup. These particular rocket kits are rare, only 11 were ever made (per Kent at GLR), partly due to their expense.

Me either, the nosecone alone on mine weighs something in the neighborhood of 18lbs, enough that I fly the main as a free bag setup. These particular rocket kits are rare, only 11 were ever made (per Kent at GLR), partly due to their expense.
Unfortunately, my skills have skills since I started. I can build much lighter now.

I have a little bit to do on it. My goal is to have it complete by Spring.

I have four level 3 birds that I am currently building or prepping to build.
I am converting mine to single point dual deploy using a Tinder Rocketry TD-2 device along with the previously installed CDD3 CO2 ejection systems, so it will require building a whole new AV-Bay this winter.

I have my small version almost complete; I would really like to see the big ones fly.
The real NucSledges are rare, only 11 kits were ever made according to Kent at GLR (old GLR), one has been taken as a sacrifice by the rocket gods (sorry Alex, yours was a beauty), I have one (and flown it, AT M1550R), CW has one, and iirc I have at various time identified one or two flyers that own them, the whereabouts of the other 5-7 are unknown as is their flight status. The kit was pretty expensive at $800-$900 when they were released, mainly due to the large number of parts that had to be cut for each one (5 fins, mdf edging for fins...lots of edging pieces, the tri-bay parts etc). Most of this info is posted in another Nuclear Sledgehammer thread referenced upthread. I also have Brett's (the original designers) 5.38" prototype Nuclear Sledgehammer. Fun rockets, and proof that with enough thrust anything can fly.

I spent about 2 hours sanding on Saturday. It need a little work and a few more FTFT fiberglass. I have a lot of time in NOV and DEC to finish it. My goal is to complete it by Spring.

It will never been a masterpiece. I just hope it flys.

I spent about 2 hours sanding on Saturday. It need a little work and a few more FTFT fiberglass. I have a lot of time in NOV and DEC to finish it. My goal is to complete it by Spring.

It will never been a masterpiece. I just hope it flys.
at least you are getting there after a lot of years.

Back