4" LOC Nike Zeus Build for L2 Cert.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YEE HAA... OK so talk about busy.. delay is over as i ordered a new F250 since i couldn't find what i wanted..

So, i haven't been idle on the rocketry! i built the ET Quantum and when power is applied i get the correct sequence of beeps. that's as far as we've got on that.. so that's built. this is for the zephyr as we have an Apogee DD kit. (thinking i still need some pieces and parts..)

And we begin: The Nike Zeus was sanded 800 grit previously.., we shot a coat of RO sandable/filler primer and sanded with 800 grit mostly. applied more primer where needed and re-sanded getting ready for the color coat

NC: we loved this NC to death and still i have some unclean surfaces. GRRRRR we shot the NC with the RO sandable/filler primer, sanded and ..., ..., you get the idea.. got nothin' on that surface.

We sprayed the color coat on the NC first and just as i thought, all the uneven surfaces are visible if your up on it, but from 5'... lookin' good. We followed up on additional coats using the time period stated on the RO can, with good results.

Both the booster and payload BT's were sprayed with color coat the same way as the NC... in 'light' coats. Still.. i got 2 small runs which will be sanded out with 800 and the area re-sprayed. Also, prior to painting the white color coat on both BT's, i taped off the fins which will get the black color coat.

So at this point i must say that i totally underestimated the amount of color coat..! The fins on this vehicle are large.. and there's four of 'em.. and we're at 75" tall, so a lot of length of 4" tubing. i've shot 2 cans of white with some left, but the booster needs a few shots. then.. the black color coat.. and thinking about 2/3 of a can. Saying this.. we're not at the 6 lbs anymore.. definitely looking like 6.8 - 6.10 lbs. I'll know more tomorrow as i'm going to put the rocket together for a weight test for sim'ing.

r-
Gotta love when you get to the point where rockets are big enough that spray paint becomes part of the budget outline...lol

Looks good! What size 'chute do you have for this? Depending on where you finish out weight-wise, if this came with a 'chute, you'll probably still be okay.

OK.. so the white color coat is finished. i waited an extra 24 hours for the paint to dry and then removed the tape that was covering the primed fins that will receive the black color coat. after removing the tape for black color coat, i taped the white color coat, and shot the fins with black.

at this point, we're lookin' at just a few remaining items to finish. i forgot to add the rail guides prior to painting, so i'll drill two holes, place a small amount of epoxy at the opening and screw in the rail guides. Decals i'll put them on in a couple of days as the paint needs to dry for 48 hours prior to adding decals. after the decals are applied, i'll shoot the Zeus with 2 coats of clear sealer.

So, either later on today, or tomorrow morning (we're going for a ride on the RoadGlide in just a bit) and i'll get the final weight, and CG.. this said, i will have to recompute the CG for any larger motors then the J293 i'll be using for my L2 attempt.

only one picture...

r-

Attachments

• 20240526_112537.jpg
    20240526_112537.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
OK.. well was gonna posts yesterday morning.. but forgot to click 'post reply' .. sheesh.

yesterday morning, i sprayed on the second coat of black color coat on the canard, and lower fins.

while that was drying.. carefully i started to remove the blue tape. after removal, i did find 2 spots where the spray had found it's way onto the white color coat. i'll repaint these small areas by hand with a hobby brush.

i weighed the Zeus, and i'm not sure how i ended up with 6+ pounds... but after completion (without decals and the rail buttons) it's 4.1 lbs.. (1859g)

Attachments

• 20240527_113734.jpg
    20240527_113734.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240526_112537.jpg
    20240526_112537.jpg
  • 20240527_113734.jpg
    20240527_113734.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240526_112537.jpg
    20240526_112537.jpg
It would be nice if there was an easier way. That looks like it took hours.
not even... it was smokin' hot and humid at 91 with 70% humidity. i wanted to finish it fast.. so 2" blue tape.. if i had 3" tape, i'da used that. i'm finding that i can only go out for about an hour or so during the day as the heat and humidity here in SC is brutal for 'this' 69 year old.. which is interesting, as i was a waterproofing consultant.. and i'd be standing outside all day long in over 100 degree heat prior to being retired with no ill effects.. go figure.

side note: my wife and i went for a ride to myrtle beach which is about 90 miles this past sunday.. by the time we got there at 3p it was 91 and we just went for lunch versus riding down murrells inlet because it was so hot. after dinner, we rode back to florence in the 90 degree heat and by the time we got home i felt like i'd been 'rode hard and put away wet'.. sheesh! no more 85+ degree day rides!

r-

It would be nice if there was an easier way. That looks like it took hours.
If I have a length of airframe that I am trying to protect from overspray I’ll lay down an initial band using tape, then cover/wrap the remainder with an appropriately sized piece of aluminum foil, taped along the edges to prevent any paint working it’s way under.

If I have a length of airframe that I am trying to protect from overspray I’ll lay down an initial band using tape, then cover/wrap the remainder with an appropriately sized piece of aluminum foil, taped along the edges to prevent any paint working it’s way under.
normally i use clay paper.. some call it packing paper. i ran out hence the reason i used blue tape. the clay paper can be purchased at home depot.. it's not expensive. (never thought of using aluminum foil)
r-

Done!

i applied the decals and this morning took a picture.

Cleanup:

At this point as i mentioned only minor touch up paint along the leading edges of the black color coated fins. Also, cleanup of the AeroPack Tail Cone receiver as i got some white color coat on it. i'll use either acetone, or wd40, whichever is handy to wipe up that paint

I'll go to home depot today and buy some 1/2" washers that'll fit onto my 3"x1/2" lug screw. the screw itself weighs .3 lb. i'll buy enough washers to make up to .5 lb. i ran rocksim simulations with that weight which moved the CG forward for motors heavier than the CTI J293 which i'll use for my L2 attempt.

CG: i'll be placing two different CG emblems on the Zeus, one for standard rocket, and one for the NC weight CG, as they'll be different.

ron-

Attachments

• 20240530_095202.jpg
    20240530_095202.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Done!

i applied the decals and this morning took a picture.

Cleanup:

At this point as i mentioned only minor touch up paint along the leading edges of the black color coated fins. Also, cleanup of the AeroPack Tail Cone receiver as i got some white color coat on it. i'll use either acetone, or wd40, whichever is handy to wipe up that paint

I'll go to home depot today and buy some 1/2" washers that'll fit onto my 3"x1/2" lug screw. the screw itself weighs .3 lb. i'll buy enough washers to make up to .5 lb. i ran rocksim simulations with that weight which moved the CG forward for motors heavier than the CTI J293 which i'll use for my L2 attempt.

CG: i'll be placing two different CG emblems on the Zeus, one for standard rocket, and one for the NC weight CG, as they'll be different.

ron-
Looking good. Are you planning on attending the NSL East?

Looking good. Are you planning on attending the NSL East?
LDRS.. my wife and i are leaving on tuesday morning and will arrive at the 'finger lakes campground' about 20 miles from the launch field on wednesday mid-day. we'll drop the 5th wheel and head over to the field after that. thinking about 1.30p (ish)

we're taking the Nike Zeus, and Zephyr...., the Athena may come along also so she doesn't feel left out.. :)

this said, i just looked (google search: National Sports Launch 2024) and didn't see anything.. can you send me a link?

ron-

LDRS.. my wife and i are leaving on tuesday morning and will arrive at the 'finger lakes campground' about 20 miles from the launch field on wednesday mid-day. we'll drop the 5th wheel and head over to the field after that. thinking about 1.30p (ish)

we're taking the Nike Zeus, and Zephyr...., the Athena may come along also so she doesn't feel left out.. :)

this said, i just looked (google search: National Sports Launch 2024) and didn't see anything.. can you send me a link?

ron-
Ron,

I downloaded this from the NAR Forum. The host club is Southern Area Rocketry and the launch site (GRITS launch site) is near Tifton, GA. According to the post, registration should open after NARAM is complete.

Attachments

• NSL East 2024 with a side of Turkey.docx_safe.pdf
    293.8 KB · Views: 0
Gotta love when you get to the point where rockets are big enough that spray paint becomes part of the budget outline...lol

Looks good! What size 'chute do you have for this? Depending on where you finish out weight-wise, if this came with a 'chute, you'll probably still be okay.
Sorry for the delay.

50" which I think will be ok..

First off i'd like to thank John Banks for administering my L2 exam, and observing my L2 Cert flight. John... you ROCK!

the Nike Zeus flew beautifully and sustained no damage on the certification flight. we had to walk just about 1.5 miles to retrieve the rocket and then John verified that the Zeus could fly again.

that said.. i'll never use a tail cone again. on the second flight i used an I323, which RockSim was ok with.. but the rocket didn't fly higher than 20ft. I'll say the CP was forward of the CG as all it did was spin... this said, the J430, it had enough power to compensate for the lower CG.

no pictures.. but the booster BT is hosed completely. one of the aft fins broke, and completely disengaged from the MMT. not only that, the BT crumpled..

So.. i did pass my L2, and i'm going to rebuild the Zeus Booster section without the tailcone. As for the zephyr.. it flew great twice with a H550, and I323.

ron-

Attachments

• 2322676501371410812.jpg
    2322676501371410812.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2906733308467410813.jpg
    2906733308467410813.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 4424208420918190941.jpg
    4424208420918190941.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2199145640446473667.jpg