november 5th CMASS launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by r1dermon
where's the cheapest place to grab some?

There's a big bag of it in the back of the CMASS trailer. Take what you need.

thanks bill, but i already got some...i might as well have it though you know...thanks a lot for the offer though.

I haven't started building yet. Gonna have to put away the wood glue this time (my preferred adhesive). Should be ready in time, will probably paint at the field, hehe.

-B

this launch is gonna be a blast, great weather, and the end of the season so everyone wants to get in their last "cool" flights.

Originally posted by outasight13
this launch is gonna be a blast, great weather, and the end of the season so everyone wants to get in their last "cool" flights.

There's one more, but we can't make it. But the weather is looking great.

i cant wait until the launch.great wheatehger ed of theseason my last cmass launch of the year, what more could you are for? except for a pml ariel and a few rms csings for my rockets

i havent launched since last may, and that was the first launch since the december before that, so i've only launched like 3 or 4 times in the past year...i definately want that to change...but i wont be able to make the last launch either. oh well, i think cato launches in the winter in connecticut...kind of a drive, but i might check it out some time.

well, i may want to get some sleep at this point. heh. see you guys at the launch...today. lol.

sweet launch...had to leave early due to work...but oh well, weather was fantastic after the clouds burned off...barely any breeze, and clear skies all the way up...my 38 special flew awesome on a G80-4t and my blue ninja flew incredibly fast on an F21...however, the blue ninja got stuck in a tree in an inaccessible area...so that was no fun. heh. but the rocket gods giveth, and they taketh away. anyway, good to see most of the farmiliar faces there, lots of interesting birds, upscales, and a humungo K950 monster. hopefully i can make it to the last launch of the season. heh. its like being bit by the rocket bug all over again.

Great launch. I flew a few multistagers, and my modified tres, which didn't work due to various ignition failures. The K was AMAZING!

there was a K? i must have missed that (wait, how can someone miss a K?)

My 2nd CMASS Launch and I actually brought along some rockets to fly, unfortunately I got there only to discover my camera batteries were dead so I didn't get any good pics like last time.

got to fly my 3 D's; big daddy, sea hawk and the AIM-94A, all were successful with just a wing damaged on the seahawk.

got to try out the much talked about hot dogs as well, very good! These launches are a lot of fun, glad someone told me about them, I think I'll have to be joining as an official member, it's too bad I didn't find out about the meets until so late in the season. But it's okay I have a long winter of building ahead of me now :D

Originally posted by outasight13
there was a K? i must have missed that (wait, how can someone miss a K?)

You might have misheard it as a J, that jumbo blue thing from high power C was a K950. Did anyone get good pictures?

that was Robert Dehates K i believe...giant blue rocket off high C. i think it was an AMW K950...there's a link to his web page off of cmass.org, all i can say is, he can build rockets. lol.

Awesome day to fly... Only gone one flight in thanks to a overy eager ejection charge on a F21. What I get for only bringing one rocket. Hoping the weather is good for the last launch of year!

-B

PS Will have pix ready soon.

sweet pics man...too bad you didnt get my 38 special...my camera broke so i was left out in the dark...

Nice pics... I especially liked the one with the Orbital Transport. Almost poetic :)

Originally posted by r1dermon
that was Robert Dehates K i believe...giant blue rocket off high C. i think it was an AMW K950...there's a link to his web page off of cmass.org, all i can say is, he can build rockets. lol.

Thanks,
The name of the rocket is actually the 'M-eater'.
https://www.geocities.com/rdh82000/M_eater/index.htm

That was it's 6th flight and actually the lowest impulse it's flown on.
It was a ST-54-1750 K950 Super Tiger.
I picked that motor because it's loud and I wanted a good echo.
Altimeter said 1465'.
The best part was it landed right between HPR pads B and C with that nice big R14 chute.
Hopefully someone got a photo of the flight.

I only wish I had known the day was gonna be so nice.
I would have brought a few more K motors.

There were lot's of good flights. Hopefully Jim got his out of the tree.

I had 3 flights. Two C6-5's in my Thunder then the K950.

Was a great day.

Next weekend I got a launch down in TX then hopefully the next CMASS launch has equal weather.
Or.... Maybe there will be snow on the ground and Bill will let me burn a J230SK ;)

Robert DeHate

Originally posted by rdh8
Hopefully Jim got his out of the tree.
Or.... Maybe there will be snow on the ground and Bill will let me burn a J230SK ;)

Robert DeHate

Jim got it out of the tree in time to join us at Acapulo's.

If there's snow on the ground you can static fire that J230SK at the LCO area. I know you've been able to set dirt on fire but I don't really want to find out if you can do the same with snow.

Originally posted by Beanboy
Pics are up: https://www.stinkyteapot.com/cmass_nov_1
Excellent photos of a beautiful autumn day in New England. What a great looking day to fly rockets. I am sorry I missed the launch. I would have loved to fly and recover my Sayonara Paper Tiger.

I had car trouble last week and could not make the trip from Vermont to Amesbury, MA. The car is scheduled for maintenance, so it looks like I can attend the final launch of the season on November 19th.

i'll see you there! heh. hopefully its nice out, im game for watching some more K flights! lol. i think i might go for lvl 1 with my 38spl depending on 2 things. first, if doug will let me use one of his H's that he's got lying around...and second, i have to find out how soon after i join the NAR i can cert, because i still havent joined. the site says my number will be available 2 weeks after i sign up, however, the launch is in less than 2 weeks, so on the slip where it says NAR number...i wouldnt be able to put one down...im gonna email the NAR to find out. if so, i shall be attempting a cert. heh.

Originally posted by billspad
Jim got it out of the tree in time to join us at Acapulo's.

If there's snow on the ground you can static fire that J230SK at the LCO area. I know you've been able to set dirt on fire but I don't really want to find out if you can do the same with snow.

We'll see if we can light "tarmac" on fire next weekend

Bill, that pic was from the parking lot of an ice cream place on 110, about a 100 yards from the turn. Snapped it on the way home.

Going to try and build a little sooner for the next launch, will hopefully have a bunch of things to fly. Watch it be snowing and 20 degrees...

-B

Originally posted by Beanboy
Bill, that pic was from the parking lot of an ice cream place on 110, about a 100 yards from the turn. Snapped it on the way home.

Going to try and build a little sooner for the next launch, will hopefully have a bunch of things to fly. Watch it be snowing and 20 degrees...

-B

Hodgie's? With the huge portions?

Originally posted by billspad
Hodgie's? With the huge portions?
i LOVE Hodgies, The kiddie size is like 5 Scoops!!!! (and that is smaller than a small)

What a fine flying day Saturday was! It cleared up to perfect blue skies and little wind by midday.

The Acton TARC team had a good shake out flight of their first TARC 2006 design. No altimeter installed, but the height looked in the ballpark and the timing was reasonably close. Everything was recovered intact which was much better than the early flights of their TARC 2005 design.

My son and daughter had fun flying. My daughter's Mosquito was recovered twice! (Albeit flying on 1/4 A). Unfortunately, our Mosquito drag race (hers was stock and mine was a 2.5" upscale) didn't work when mine failed to ignite. Something to try next time.

Given the great conditions, I decided to be a little more aggressive with my custom "QuickBase" rocket and flew it on an I218R. It got to 3,600' which was a new personal altitude record. Unfortunately, it did a little zig a 100' or so after take off and went off at a bit of an angle. I've had a few rockets do that at times and I really wish I understood why it happens.

The dual deploy worked well but I still never would've recovered the rocket had it not been for the BeeLine transmitter. Of course, I should've allowed more than 30 minutes to find it and get it out of the tree it landed in. So, I had to drive my son back home to a birthday party and then drive back to Amesbury in time to get the recovery pole before they packed everything away. Nevertheless, everything was recovered intact.

I was in awe of Robert DeHate's ability to visually track my flight. Especially since I lost sight of it about half-way to apogee. If I had his eyes, I might not need the BeeLine!

I also flew my "Dual Deploy Rhino Bash" successfully to about 1150' on an E9-6. I ran out of time to fly it on an F21-8 (should put it over 2000').

It was kinda nice that the day started cloudy because we got to see a lot of cool low altitude stuff, especially gliders. I got to see a glider of Bill's actually fly well AND be recovered! :D There was also a Edmonds Geminee Thunder (large dual glider) that turned in several gorgeous flights (photo here). There was also a cool spinning tetrahedral rocket that flew several times during the day.

May all your flying day's weather be as perfect.

-- Jim

It certainly was a beautiful day. It's not too often that we get a day with so little wind.

I flew my usual assortment of LPR stuff and got 15 flights in.

This was the first launch that I took a turn as LCO. It was during the middle of the afternoon when it was the busiest and it was pretty hectic. It gives me a new appreciation for the group that does this at every launch.

Back