Nosecone -body tube mismatch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augendoc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure which forum this should go under, so the moderators I hope will move it appropriately.

I have a LPR kit where the plastic blow-molded NC is maybe 1/64” smaller in diameter than the OD of the cardboard BT. I can get the NC to fit without slop with a couple wraps of Scotch magic tape around the shoulder. But the BT definitely sits proud.

Do I just leave it? Build up the NC (which has straight sides for the first 2 inches)? Sand down the BT? Or 3D print a respectable copy of the NC?

Thanks for your advice.

It depends on your goal for the rocket. If it is for launching the I wouldn't worry about it. If it's for display or contest then you probably want better.
I accept some slight flaws in my rockets that I intend to launch because they get beat up over time.

Not sure which forum this should go under, so the moderators I hope will move it appropriately.

I have a LPR kit where the plastic blow-molded NC is maybe 1/64” smaller in diameter than the OD of the cardboard BT. I can get the NC to fit without slop with a couple wraps of Scotch magic tape around the shoulder. But the BT definitely sits proud.

Do I just leave it? Build up the NC (which has straight sides for the first 2 inches)? Sand down the BT? Or 3D print a respectable copy of the NC?

Thanks for your advice.
You can cut a small ring of the BT and glue it to the shoulder of the nose cone then shape that to match the nosecone and BT, the ring becomes the new point at which the BT meets the "nosecone". iirc its one of the things I heard from Crazy Jim Hendrickson aka Blackjack2564 aka CJ

Back