Next Build- Does This One Make Sense?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurAstroCam

Reaction score
So, as some may know, I have returned to model rocketry after almost a 50 year absence. After enjoying and having fun with the AstroCam, I am thinking next about a Big Bertha build. That was the rocket, along with an Aerobee 300, that I built with my late father. And I want to commemorate this in his memory.

From what I can see, Big Bertha is described as an "Intermediate" build. Would this rocket be a good choice? Or, should I try something easier, say, like an Alpha/Alpha III?

S
Big Bertha requires the same skills as an Alpha: attaching balsa fins, building a motor mount. Alpha III has a plastic fin can and is much more like the AstroCam.
Should I get one of those yellow Estes fin alignment jigs to help in the build?

I have such a soft spot in my heart for Big Bertha. My family and I used to laugh at it's name. I want to paint and decal it early 1970's style. Again, in my father's memory. It truly is an iconic model rocket.

So, as some may know, I have returned to model rocketry after almost a 50 year absence. After enjoying and having fun with the AstroCam, I am thinking next about a Big Bertha build. That was the rocket, along with an Aerobee 300, that I built with my late father. And I want to commemorate this in his memory.

From what I can see, Big Bertha is described as an "Intermediate" build. Would this rocket be a good choice? Or, should I try something easier, say, like an Alpha/Alpha III?
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-mo...-1-intermediate/estes-big-bertha-model-rocket
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-mo...o-series /estes-super-big-bertha-model-rocket
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-mo...1-intermediate/estes-baby-bertha-model-rocket

Curious, a few have disparaged the Estes fin alignment tool. What don't you like about it?

The Estes fin alignment guide is not the easiest to use and will not work with Bertha because of the shape of the fins. If you must use a guide I recommend the ones from Qualman Rockets but honestly they are not required. If you can build an Alpha you can easily build the Bertha. In many ways the Bertha is easier simply because everything is larger and easier to handle.

The Estes fin alignment guide is not the easiest to use and will not work with Bertha because of the shape of the fins. If you must use a guide I recommend the ones from Qualman Rockets but honestly they are not required. If you can build an Alpha you can easily build the Bertha. In many ways the Bertha is easier simply because everything is larger and easier to handle.
That is my hope. But also hope BB doesn't go spinning in a frenzy. Also, I don't have a printer at home.

A nice Apogee video using the fin marking guide. Specific fin alignment demo at around the 4 minute mark. Of course, there are many ways to skin the fin alignment cat. Pick your poison.

Great- thank you. I like Apogee videos.

That is my hope. But also hope BB doesn't go spinning in a frenzy. Also, I don't have a printer at home.

You can always use the method where you place the fin to one side of the line you draw on the tube instead of on top of it. This allows you to use the line to ensure that the fin is straight on the tube. Sure the fin will be slightly off center but that doesn't effect how it flies. As long as the fin is parallel to the center line of the tube you are fine.

You do need to remember to be consistent on every fin. If you place the first on the right side of the line you need to remember to put all of the fins on the right side of the line.

Just jump in and go for it. You'll be fine. I've worked with school kits and scouts over the years. You'd be surprised how badly some of these things can be put together and still fly just fine.

You can always use the method where you place the fin to one side of the line you draw on the tube instead of on top of it. This allows you to use the line to ensure that the fin is straight on the tube. Sure the fin will be slightly off center but that doesn't effect how it flies. As long as the fin is parallel to the center line of the tube you are fine.

You do need to remember to be consistent on every fin. If you place the first on the right side of the line you need to remember to put all of the fins on the right side of the line.

Just jump in and go for it. You'll be fine. I've worked with school kits and scouts over the years. You'd be surprised how badly some of these things can be put together and still fly just fine.
Everyone says this, as they have years or decades of experience. I took 50 years off from model rocketry. Of course I want the darned thing to work. I did some reading before diving back in, and one common thread was the nightmare of fin alignment.

Back