Hello from San Diego

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I'm returning to model rocketry after a 50 year absence. I've recently introduced my grandson to the hobby and so far we've put together a variety of low power rockets and one medium power rocket (Super Big Bertha). I made a lot of mistakes assembling Super Big Bertha but I was able to work through them and learn a few lessons along the way. Next I plan to make some low and medium power DIY rockets and work my way carefully toward high power. No rush. I have more mistakes to make I'm sure. Cheers!

Welcome Jim. Same thing happened to a lot of us: builds rockets, then get drivers license, then girls... Life does get in the way sometimes. Glad you found your way back!! :)

Enjoy the grandson - they grow up far too quickly>

There's a couple of nice flying options in the San Diego area. The DART club is NAR-sanctioned, they fly out of Fiesta Island in Mission Bay once or twice a month

https://www.nar.org/site/section317/

TRASD is a Tripoli prefect that flies out of the old abandoned Holtville airport on the first weekend of every month; they fly all kinds of rockets, your grandson would probably get a big kick out of seeing the "big ones".

https://tripolisandiego.org/

Hi I'm returning to model rocketry after a 50 year absence. I've recently introduced my grandson to the hobby and so far we've put together a variety of low power rockets and one medium power rocket (Super Big Bertha). I made a lot of mistakes assembling Super Big Bertha but I was able to work through them and learn a few lessons along the way. Next I plan to make some low and medium power DIY rockets and work my way carefully toward high power. No rush. I have more mistakes to make I'm sure. Cheers!
Hey Jim!

I’m a DART member as well, we’ve got a launch going 3/9 if the weather cooperates. I’m *hoping* to have my contest-losing egg-lofting rocket ship-shape and back in the air on that date. You’re perfectly welcome to visit and show off your stuff if you’d like. If I’m not prepping or flying a rocket I can usually be found chatting with the old guys!

IMG_0394.jpeg

Hey Jim!

I’m a DART member as well, we’ve got a launch going 3/9 if the weather cooperates. I’m *hoping* to have my contest-losing egg-lofting rocket ship-shape and back in the air on that date. You’re perfectly welcome to visit and show off your stuff if you’d like. If I’m not prepping or flying a rocket I can usually be found chatting with the old guys!

View attachment 633761
What's this "Chatting with the old guys?"
Also, "Get off my lawn!". ;)

Back