Estes Aerobee 300

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the left is the Semroc kit, 24 mm motor mount.
On the right is my Estes clone.

0103221714[1].jpg

The Estes version has the telemetry antennae on the fins, the Semroc version does not.
The fins for the Estes clone were traced onto balsa sheet from templates on the JimZ website, linked in previous posts, then cut out. Rest of the parts were ordered from erockets, IIRC.
This will be a great tribute to your Dad.
Have fun.

On the left is the Semroc kit, 24 mm motor mount.
On the right is my Estes clone.

View attachment 498262

The Estes version has the telemetry antennae on the fins, the Semroc version does not.
The fins for the Estes clone were traced onto balsa sheet from templates on the JimZ website, linked in previous posts, then cut out. Rest of the parts were ordered from erockets, IIRC.
This will be a great tribute to your Dad.
Have fun.
EXACTLY how I remember it. Thank you. Do you have a parts list?

The parts list is right in the beginning of the instructions you downloaded... You only need to cross reference items if you intend to cut your own tubes (for example). Go to the erocktes.biz website and start inputting the designations in the parts list into the search utility on their site.

Either erockets.biz or Balsa Machining will have all the parts you need. The fins and such you'll need to cut yourself. I normally buy almost everything from Balsa Machining but it somewhat depends on whether they have the particular nose cone you need... erockets has the largest selection of nose cones.

The parts list is right in the beginning of the instructions you downloaded... You only need to cross reference items if you intend to cut your own tubes (for example). Go to the erocktes.biz website and start inputting the designations in the parts list into the search utility on their site.
OK!

Like Big Bertha, when I build this rocket, my late father's signature will go on both.

The main reason I suggested resorting to the parts catalog etc. was that I find it more economical to get long tubes and cut them. Then you have extra stuff to build even MORE rockets!!!! bwa ha ha ha ha!!!

The main reason I suggested resorting to the parts catalog etc. was that I find it more economical to get long tubes and cut them. Then you have extra stuff to build even MORE rockets!!!! bwa ha ha ha ha!!!
I understand. However, to have this rocket? Price is not an object. I saw somewhere on the internet last night what the original Estes packaging looked like. That and the memory of building with my father, well, made me cry.

Yeah, I only ever buy the 34" tubes from BMS. Simplest and most economical. Cutting LPR tubes is easy.

Arthur - think you probably have enough information to build the Aerobee now, and I agree that is a great tribute to your dad. I have almost finished an original Estes kit I was able to purchase. The Aerobee was one of the first scale models I built as a youngster, and was always a favorite. Had a few of the old decals that just crumbled into pieces when trying to apply them, but other than that, no issues. Good luck with your project.
#709 - Aerobee 300..JPG

Arthur - think you probably have enough information to build the Aerobee now, and I agree that is a great tribute to your dad. I have almost finished an original Estes kit I was able to purchase. The Aerobee was one of the first scale models I built as a youngster, and was always a favorite. Had a few of the old decals that just crumbled into pieces when trying to apply them, but other than that, no issues. Good luck with your project.
View attachment 498426
Thank you. I am likely to paint in with the gray, black, and white I remember, along with the stars and bars I remember my father using, along with the USA I remember, and an Army logo to commemorate his Korea tours, and a decal I'd like to have made of his signature.

It seems Arthur is recreating his childhood Aerobee, but if anyone wants to make a slightly "improved" model, cut the BT-50 to 13.15" (about 13 and 5/32 inches) and extend one of the conduits all the way to the top of the BT-50. The silver section should be white.

Here's a picture: The two on the left are eBay rescues, the one on the right is mine which survives from the 70's with updated paint.

aero9.jpgaero9.jpg

Back