New Virtual Rocket Contest - Longnecks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
That's Right:

CLICK HERE

This was meant to be a fast and easier contest to draw lots of participants!

Nick

I agree that this contest should draw more entries. I can't wait to start on mine. I didn't see a link on the contest page for downloading virtual6.eng, but I think I know what motors are included. It looks like this contest will be a good one...:)

Originally posted by EMRR
That's Right:

CLICK HERE

This was meant to be a fast and easier contest to draw lots of participants!

Nick
Cool contest Nick!
After scanning thru the rules & event, I like some of the new twists. :eek:
You did a good job of incorporating the suggestions.
I hope it has a big draw:)

Is this a guest judged contest or a EMRR judged contest?

Opps - I'll get the virtual file uploaded later today.

Rules were collectively drawn up.

EMRR is running the contest.

Nick

I really like that all of the prizes are rockets just like what you have to design to win the contest! How cool is that?!? :cool: :D

Originally posted by lalligood
I really like that all of the prizes are rockets just like what you have to design to win the contest! How cool is that?!? :cool: :D

I thought it was really cool! I'm looking for a volunteer to provide an Estes Mean Machine...

I was pleased when Fliskits and Sunward offered their prizes. Then BRS added an ASP Tall Boy. USR had sent a Long Tall Sally and generously up'd it to a Tall Tail 10.

These are long and tall rocket's ladles and jellyspoons!

Nick

3 Entries already! I wasn't expecting the so quickly, but the contest is a GO!!!!!

Nick

Yee-haw!

(7) Entries - 5 are newbies! - 1 was a RockSIM Demo entry

We are on the way.

I'm waiting for that first SpaceCAD entry too!

Nick

Ohh, this is getting interesting... now I remember why I love these Virtual Contests... the results are so interesting.

I have begun initial runs on the 8 entries (6 are newbies). After the first two events, it looked like we had 2-3 run-aways, but then event #3 really shifted the tables!

What will happen when some of the old pro's enter? (Stevens, Cox, Levison, Davis) Who knows because some of these newbie designs are going to be tough to beat!

Looking forward to more entries!

Nick

12 Entries so far. Very interesting stuff.

I am aware of at least 3 more entries coming.

Need them by the end of the month!

Nick

CLICK HERE

If the rapper Snoop Dogg had written the rules for this contest, they might look something like this. It starts slow but gets better as it goes on.

Caution: Adult language; my be offensive.
Also, don't blame EMRR; he didn't write it.

Bob! :eek:

Work on your design, man, and leave a snoopy dog out of it!

16 Entries so far. You old pro's... watchout, some newbies are pressing the right buttons!

Regards,
Nick

Okay, Nick, my entry is finally submitted.

There are now 18 entries, one short of the all-time high for virtual rocket contests. I guess having simpler contest rules and good prizes was what it took to revive interest in these contests.

Now comes the hardest part -- waiting for the results.

Less than (3) days to get your entries in. 18 so far.

Nick

Bob-

I have sent an e-mail to your e-mail drop for the last VRC re: my ideas for the next invitational. Could you check it out or drop me a line with your e-mail and I'll send it again?

As the last guest judge, I'd like to get your opinions!:D

The waiting is killing me! :)

Send the entries to me and i'll get a head start for you Nick. ;)

Okay, here's a teaser... after the first event, pending any other entries.... the placement is now posted:

CLICK HERE

Nick

Wow! :D

Now i can hardly contain myself!

There are two 2nd places... #17 and mine :). Did we tie?

Well it is my first rocksim design, and though its still "early " in the contest, theres one thing abundantly clear..my design sucks ! (17th of 18) ...*shakes head*

Rotflmao...

Ahh well, best of luck to everyone, and remember...when I finish last...theres only one way for me to go ...looks up at everyone.

Cheers and thanks for the update Nick,

Originally posted by Silverleaf
Well it is my first rocksim design, and though its still "early " in the contest, theres one thing abundantly clear..my design sucks ! (17th of 18) ...*shakes head*

Rotflmao...

Ahh well, best of luck to everyone, and remember...when I finish last...theres only one way for me to go ...looks up at everyone.

Cheers and thanks for the update Nick,

Time and events will tell. You improve your position after event #2 and then again after event #3. (I have not run any of Drag Race sims).

Nick

Originally posted by ccoffin
Wow! :D

Now i can hardly contain myself!

There are two 2nd places... #17 and mine :). Did we tie?

Yep.

With 35 minutes to spare, Clive Davis added the 19th entry to this contest. (I wonder what happened to Dick Stafford, Frank Ross, Nathan Schoenkin and Douglas Gardei's entries... where are you guys!)

I'm a very pleased to see 8 new participants! 3 of which submitted via RockSIM demo!

Anyhow...

First event full results and rocksim captures of the rockets are now posted!

Altitude:
"Wow, Bob Cox, beat the next closest by over 500 feet! But, check out Bill Cook with two little ol' C6's, had the greatest Feet/N. Dave Austerberry's was the only single-stage rocket to get into the top 10. Newbie, Chris Coffin, had consistent and impressive results. With his bonuses, he tied for 2nd place. In the end though, it was Todd Mullin with his 117:1 Length to Diameter ratio rocket that was able to pull off the win in Event #1."

Event #2 - Streamer Duration results tomorrow.

Nick

I have used Rocksim for about a year (have some experience) but i hadn't tried creating anything for top notch performance. I mainly have been using it for archiving my builds and figuring out what motors to use on the field.

In order to figure out what worked consistently across all of the events, I created a spreadsheet that calculated everything and started plugging in the results of different designs. Dreaming #3 was actually the 9th design and it appeared to be the best all around performer.

I learned a ton about designing in Rocksim as a result of this contest and i am really glad i spent the time.

Originally posted by ccoffin
I learned a ton about designing in Rocksim as a result of this contest and i am really glad i spent the time.

That is a very common statement we hear!

Oh... never mind... It says entrys are due on the 27th... for some reason I was thinking it was the 28th... Doh!

Yeah!

The wait is finally over. I was the third contestant to submit an entry, so that was a really long wait.

Interesting to see the distribution of one stage Vs two stage Vs three stage rockets. 6 one-stage, 6 two-stage and 7 three-stage. Pretty much an even distribution.

I got the Flaming Spaghettini. Off to a slow start, but that was what I expected. I focused on the other events and I hope to climb up the ladder during events 2 and 3. We'll see...

What do you have? Now that no more entries can be accepted, Go ahead and share your secrets.

Claude

Miss Understood here. Single stage ...

I didn't know what to expect from the other designs that were entered, but seeing the profiles of them now, all I can say is..Wow !.

Cheers,

Back