New upscale, Freefall XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great Jim,love those thick fins and the round leading edge.I'm going to try to paint my Mega Max tomorrow if the weather stays dry.

Thanks Carl. I would gladly put off painting if it would rain here.

Looking good.
I noticed on thing...all your pictures,no matter what time of year..GREEN GRASS..is it real?

Oh, it's not always green. It's mostly Bermuda grass, which turns brown in the winter. The rest of it is various other kinds of weeds, like burr clover and other things I can't identify.

Boy, that Rusto 2X orange covers as well as the black and red! Turned out pretty good!

132_orange.jpg

133_orange.jpg

134_orange.jpg

135_orange.jpg

136_orange.jpg

I used Rusto 2x semi-gloss Fire Orange recently that wrinkled horribly on me. I put it over Rusto primer and gloss white. Up til this, I hadn't had any paint issues that weren't from my own stupidity or impatience.

Glad to see you didn't have the same issues I did. I'd hate to see the cease-fire fail.

I used Rusto 2x semi-gloss Fire Orange recently that wrinkled horribly on me. I put it over Rusto primer and gloss white. Up til this, I hadn't had any paint issues that weren't from my own stupidity or impatience.

Glad to see you didn't have the same issues I did. I'd hate to see the cease-fire fail.

In the past, I've had problems with their gray primer. So now I use the 2X white primer exclusively.

executioner_wrinkles1.jpg

executioner_wrinkles2.jpg

executioner_wrinkles3.jpg

executioner_wrinkles4.jpg

I sanded the nose cone, wiped it down with alcohol, then sprayed on the primer, followed by the 2X gloss black. In person and up close it's a little rough in places, but nothing I can't live with.

137_nose_primer.jpg

138_nose_primer.jpg

139_nose_primer.jpg

140_nose_black.jpg

141_nose_black.jpg

Time to paint the fin can. I wrapped a piece of green bar computer paper tightly around the body tube, to use as a guide to draw a line for the masking tape. Then using more of the paper, I masked it all off.

142_line.jpg

143_line.jpg

144_masking.jpg

145_masking.jpg

146_masking.jpg

I sure wish I had started using the delicate surface tape a long time ago!

152_black.jpg

153_black.jpg

154_black.jpg

156_black.jpg

That looks fantastic!

You didn't fill the spirals, right? Need to keep them visible for that pre-colored E2X look :)

No, I never fill spirals. I'm too lazy.

WOW!!!!!!Another great looking bird.Now you need to build a pumpkin rocket to sit beside this beauty.You have some time before Trick or Treat gets here.LOL.!Really Jim,love those fins.What was the final weight?

I got the kit put together. Normally I would have used Kevlar thread for the shock cord, but I couldn't find any. So I used some Kevlar ribbon I had. Overkill, but it'll work. You can barely see it, since it disappeared more than I expected. But the kit came with what they call a "Clear reinforcement decal". It's to put over the launch lug to hold it in place. Even though the instructions call for gluing the launch lug in place, I'm guessing there has been problems with the launch lugs coming loose from E2X rockets. Simple, crude, but it'll work.

163_kit.jpg

164_kit.jpg

165_kit.jpg

166_kit.jpg

167_kit.jpg

The kit came with a plastic paratrooper, and two parachutes, one for the rocket and one for the paratrooper. The chutes are the same size, which seems overkill for the paratrooper. I might make a smaller one for him.

168_kit.jpg

169_kit.jpg

I'm guessing there has been problems with the launch lugs coming loose from E2X rockets. Simple, crude, but it'll work.

Yep, both the launch lugs on my Estes Riptide (rip) and Speed Freak needed to be re-glued on.

The only other kit I have that uses that style of launch lug is my Prospector and it has a clear sticker thing like the one that came in your kit. It's been launched many times and so far It's worked fine.

Yep, both the launch lugs on my Estes Riptide (rip) and Speed Freak needed to be re-glued on.

The only other kit I have that uses that style of launch lug is my Prospector and it has a clear sticker thing like the one that came in your kit. It's been launched many times and so far It's worked fine.

You can see it better here. Kudos to Estes for at least addressing the problem.

173_launch_lug.jpg

I love upscales! You can see the difference in the colors, the kit is a little more red-orange. But it's close enough for me. I'm certainly not going to repaint either of them at this point. I'm very happy with how this one turned out!

179_freefall.jpg

180_both.jpg

The family photos turned out swell.

Obviously a drag race is out of the question so it will have to be a sequential launch series.

Looking forward to this.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

My suggestion is
A) Get to more launches. Dude you have more rockets than flights! :lol: :wink: :cheers:
B) Put the LITTLE Freefall in the big one. :y:

I really like how your upscales come out. Looking forward to seeing this one fly. I bet my kids would love to challenge you to a lpr drag race out at the ranch.

Back