New upscale, Freefall XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the Estes Freefall kit. No painting required! LOL

I traced the fin and scanned it...

The original Bail Out kit came with a harness that attached to one of the smaller GI Joes that were produced after they dumped the 12" Joes. Ours wound up in a tree on the first flight with a brand new Joe in the harness. My son was crushed. We kept watching the tree for months after that, but eventually went up to find it gone. I pretty much flew the rocket to death, and bought a replacement a few years back in case we have grandkids who might want to sacrifice a Joe.:wink:

Actually, I was thinking about a Stuart...
\

I've got a couple of those I'm pretty sure I could convince my kids to part with them. They may not have a choice if I step on one again when I go in their room to read to them at bedtime.

Some more exciting stuff. Got the u-bolt installed in the forward centering ring. Epoxied the ring to the motor tube, and covered the u-bolt nuts with epoxy.

55_u-bolt.jpg

56_u-bolt.jpg

58_motor_mount.jpg

61_u-bolt.jpg

62_u-bolt.jpg

I marked the fin and rail button lines with the finwrap, and drew the lines with an aluminum angle. I epoxied the motor mount into the body tube, but had to add some more epoxy. I made a mess, but it's strong.

63_finwrap.jpg

64_fin_lines.jpg

66_motor_mount.jpg

67_motor_mount.jpg

68_motor_mount.jpg

Very nice work on those fin slots and fins.They are very strong looking.Jim,I said it before but you have another great build.I hate working with 2 part epoxy as I have the same problem with it being messy.It seems to get everywhere even when I try to be neat,which by the way is not very often.Just look at my work table with the clutter I have.

Yeah, those 3/8" fins do look beefy, don't they? I never use wood glue anymore, I only use epoxy in my builds now. As messy as it can be, wood glue can be just as messy. And I like how the epoxy sets faster.

I have been using the pinning method for scroll sawing 3 and 4 1/8inch piece all at once. But I drill nothing. I just pin them with finishing nails. Lots faster and don't need to find a matching drill bit. I just put the pieces on a piece of metal and hit the nail till it stops. The last hit peens the sharp end so it acts much like a rivet. I can use as many of as few as I wish. And nails are cheap. I bought several pounds of them at big lots many years ago.

I had to be careful not to get epoxy on the backs of the fin tabs, because the aft centering ring will need to butt up against them. The tabs didn't fit as square to the motor tube as I had hoped, so I'll need to add some internal fillets. I have some big gaps to fill, haven't decided yet what to use to fill them.

77_fins.jpg

83_fins.jpg

86_fins.jpg

88_fins.jpg

89_fins.jpg

I had to be careful not to get epoxy on the backs of the fin tabs, because the aft centering ring will need to butt up against them. The tabs didn't fit as square to the motor tube as I had hoped, so I'll need to add some internal fillets. I have some big gaps to fill, haven't decided yet what to use to fill them.

JB Weld is great for gap filling and strength. Also, it does NOT run, it STAYS where you put it and you can shape it to your likeing for about an hour. Then it stiffins up hard as a rock.

JB Weld is great for gap filling and strength. Also, it does NOT run, it STAYS where you put it and you can shape it to your likeing for about an hour. Then it stiffins up hard as a rock.

I never thought about using JB Weld for filling gaps. Not sure about the consistency or "stickiness". I could always leave the gaps there and hope they whistle. :lol:

I used Titebond Molding glue as usual for the external fillets. While I was at it, I decided to see if I could use it to fill the spaces at the front of the fins. I think it's going to work.

91_external_fillets.jpg

92_external_fillets.jpg

93_external_fillets.jpg

94_external_fillets.jpg

98_external_fillets.jpg

I used 5 minute epoxy for the internal fillets, being careful not to get any on the aft ends of the fin tabs. Probably the cleanest internal fillets I've ever done.

99_internal_fillets.jpg

100_internal_fillets.jpg

101_internal_fillets.jpg

102_internal_fillets.jpg

The aft centering ring wouldn't go all the way in, and it took my a while to figure out why. Seems the tee-nut blocks were hitting the fin tabs. So I very carefully trimmed them with the bandsaw.

103_centering_ring.jpg

104_centering_ring.jpg

105_centering_ring.jpg

106_centering_ring.jpg

107_centering_ring.jpg

The aft centering ring wouldn't go all the way in, and it took my a while to figure out why. Seems the tee-nut blocks were hitting the fin tabs. So I very carefully trimmed them with the bandsaw.

Great job trimming the blocks,I would have messed that centering ring up and mybe a finger or two!!:facepalm:Also nice stand you have there Jim.:wink:

I set it on a piece of 2x3 covered with waxed paper while the epoxy set, just to make sure the centering ring didn't "creep". After the epoxy had time to set, I drilled the 5/32" holes for the rail buttons, hitting plenty of wood. I had bought a multi-colored pack of three piece rail buttons from Rail-Buttons.com, but it came with three black spacers and only one orange. I'll probably just use the black sleeves on both, since the rocket will be black and orange.

109_centering_ring.jpg

110_rail_buttons.jpg

111_rail_buttons.jpg

115_rail_buttons.jpg

116_rail_buttons.jpg

I couldn't resist a comparison shot. I had to put a white towel on my black workbench/stove, so the black plastic fin unit would show up. You can tell the fins on the upscale aren't perfect, but you can also tell what the upscale is supposed to be. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out.

117_comparison.jpg

Here's a quick RockSim image using the fins. It shows the CP is 39 inches from the nose tip (used a LOC nose and a 34" piece of LOC tubing for a 48 inch or so length..)

Should be close enough. Keep the CG at 37 or less and you'll be fine I would imagine. I can get more 'accurate' but that looks about right.
:cheers:

Screen Shot 2013-08-25 at 12.35.57 PM.jpg

The Titebond molding glue sunk in a little where the leading edge of the fins meet the body tube. So I gave the areas another coat.

118_corners.jpg

119_corners.jpg

120_corners.jpg

121_corners.jpg

And the most exciting photos of all my builds - sanding sealer. As always, I used Deft spray lacquer sanding sealer.

122_sanding_sealer.jpg

123_sanding_sealer.jpg

124_sanding_sealer.jpg

The fin to body tube areas didn't turn out too bad. They look a little rough up close, but they're good enough for me. Besides, the entire fin can will be painted black, so they'll show up a little less than this, I think.

128_corners.jpg

129_corners.jpg

130_corners.jpg

Looking good.
I noticed on thing...all your pictures,no matter what time of year..GREEN GRASS..is it real?

The fin to body tube areas didn't turn out too bad. They look a little rough up close, but they're good enough for me. Besides, the entire fin can will be painted black, so they'll show up a little less than this, I think.

Looks great Jim,love those thick fins and the round leading edge.I'm going to try to paint my Mega Max tomorrow if the weather stays dry.

Back