New upscale, Freefall XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once the fins were loose, I clamped them together to finish match sanding them. I rounded the leading edges on the stationary belt sander. Nice looking fins!

39_fins.jpg

40_fins.jpg

41_fins.jpg

42_fins.jpg

Very nice job on those fins,like the way you rounded the leading edge.Very clean.

Uh oh, I have a problem. The paratrooper I have won't fit in the 4" body tube. Unless I break his arms off.

46_paratrooper.jpg

47_paratrooper.jpg

You could change GI Joe's name to another alliterative one, Blasphemous Bill.

(In Robert W. Service's poem "The Ballad of Blasphemous Bill", our hero finds Bill frozen to death in the Yukon with his arms and legs splayed out; he won't fit in the coffin. He tries to thaw the body out but...

'...Well, I thawed and thawed for thirteen days, but it didn’t seem no good;
His arms and legs stuck out like pegs, as if they was made of wood.
Till at last I said: “It ain’t no use — he’s froze too hard to thaw;
He’s obstinate, and he won’t lie straight, so I guess I got to — saw.”...')

You could change GI Joe's name to another alliterative one, Blasphemous Bill.

(In Robert W. Service's poem "The Ballad of Blasphemous Bill", our hero finds Bill frozen to death in the Yukon with his arms and legs splayed out; he won't fit in the coffin. He tries to thaw the body out but...

'...Well, I thawed and thawed for thirteen days, but it didn’t seem no good;
His arms and legs stuck out like pegs, as if they was made of wood.
Till at last I said: “It ain’t no use — he’s froze too hard to thaw;
He’s obstinate, and he won’t lie straight, so I guess I got to — saw.”...')

Ha! Someone wrote a poem about my paratrooper!

Amputate I say ! LOL

You must have a "bone saw" in the shop somewhere.

Paul T

The most exciting part of any build - putting epoxy on the tee nuts so they can't push out.

43_tee_nuts.jpg

44_tee_nuts.jpg

45_tee_nuts.jpg

I cut off a 13" piece of the 38mm motor tube. After sanding it with some 60 grit so the epoxy will adhere better, I epoxied on the center centering ring. Since the fin tabs will be sandwiched between the center and aft rings, I used the upside down fins as a guide and tacked the center ring in place with CA. I then put a nice epoxy fillet on it for strength.

48_motor_tube.jpg

49_motor_tube.jpg

50_centering_ring.jpg

51_centering_ring.jpg

53_centering_ring.jpg

Uh oh, I have a problem. The paratrooper I have won't fit in the 4" body tube. Unless I break his arms off.

You might try putting the arm in boiled water and straightening out the elbows. Maybe a heat gun would do the trick.

Or beat the elbows with a hammer and epoxy a splint on them to keep 'em straight.

You might try putting the arm in boiled water and straightening out the elbows. Maybe a heat gun would do the trick.

Or beat the elbows with a hammer and epoxy a splint on them to keep 'em straight.

That's not a bad idea, I might try the heat gun.

I found this guy at Toys R Us. He was only $4 and I had a 15% off coupon, so I bought two. He's quite a bit smaller, but two of them would easily fit.

heroes1.jpg

heroes2.jpg

heroes3.jpg

What type of plywood fo you use? Where do you buy it? It looks high quality.

What type of plywood fo you use? Where do you buy it? It looks high quality.

I actually buy it at Michael's. I always use their 40% off coupons. It's birch, and the sheets are 12"x24". I've gotten some very good plywood there, in sizes 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I just wish they had 3/16".

Awesome. I will give it a try. I have to try your dowel technique to cutting.

When cutting out fins with the bandsaw, I like to use the fence wherever possible. I sanded what I could before making the final cut and removing the pins. You know, that little 1" belt sander from Harbor Freight has ended up being much more useful than I ever thought it would.

This may be even more blasphemous---- how about a GI Jill?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00529YY1U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. I will give it a try. I have to try your dowel technique to cutting.

Pinning the fins has worked out very well for me. Makes it really easy to cut and match sand them all the same.

If you're switching figures, how about something on these lines?

t-rex-parachute.jpg

Yeah, but neither does the oven, the stove, the refrigerator, the dishwasher........

Still, tumble recovery from 5k might be poor form.

I digress. Looks like a cool build!

Maybe the parachute mysteriously doesn't work because all of those other items don't "work".....:dark:

Yeah, but neither does the oven, the stove, the refrigerator, the dishwasher........

Still, tumble recovery from 5k might be poor form.

I digress. Looks like a cool build!

You know, if she'd scream all the way down, I'd definitely put her in!

Latest posts

Back