New Model Rocket News!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a very nice article. It looks like a lot of thought went into it.

A lot of the tools mentioned are the same ones that I have been using but it's nice to read what other people are using because there's always something new to learn. ;)

Thanks! :D

I don't expect many people here would learn anything new from the article. It is meant for Estes' customers, many of whom are going to be total newbies. I hope it does some good!

Nice article. If nothing else, it gives us an idea of what Estes is looking for as far as content. Did they edit it much or is it pretty much as you sent it?

I suspect that this is the upper range of what they are looking for.

It is pretty much as I remember it. It has been a couple of years since I submitted it. I do wish they had thought to leave in the "superscript" tags (for trademark symbols) and centered the captions...

The photos are all mine! Notice the crude PhotoShop job I did covering up stains in my foamcore backdrop.

Originally posted by Stefan_Jones
It has been a couple of years since I submitted it.

I guess this came a quite a surprise then. Kind of odd from a timing standpoint. This is the first I've heard from them in a LONG time. I wonder if this is in response to the Quest blog and their more regularly updated website?

Originally posted by Stefan_Jones
I don't expect many people here would learn anything new from the article.

Not true!

I never thought of cutting up emery boards to make little sanding sticks for hard to reach places.

I always just used them whole.

I just think that you may have underestimated the value and usefulness of the Dremel Tool to the serious rocket builder.

I hardly build anything from scratch without needing to break out the Dremel...

Originally posted by Fore Check
I just think that you may have underestimated the value and usefulness of the Dremel Tool to the serious rocket builder.

I hardly build anything from scratch without needing to break out the Dremel...

The key word above is "serious."

I've got a Dremel (well, a knock-off*) and use it a lot. As a first power tool, a Dremel is definitely the way to go.

But my article was aimed at real beginners, working on Estes kits. They're on a budget and working with relatively soft materials. For these kids, the $10 - $20 is better spent on (say) a sanding block, good metal ruler, and knife set.

Stefan

* I left my rechargeable Dremel set in a hotel room in Western Pennsylvania back in 1993 or so, on the way back from LDRS. *sigh* I hid it behind the curtains where I thought it would be safe when I went out for dinner, and forgot it was there when I left the following morning...

A future issue of MAKE will have an project article by me on making a sturdy, portable tripod launcher from PVC pipe.

It has a few extra features to set it apart from other PVC launchers.

What, and ruin the surprise? :)

Seriously, it is an incremental improvement on the Quest PVC pad, with features added for portability and stability. I designed it so I could throw it in the car trunk w/o worrying about bent rods or lost parts.

I enjoyed the article.Ironically i just signed up for Estes News a short while ago and just recieved the first one the other day.This was the first article I read.

Latest posts

Back