Anybody ever had an article published in the Sport Rocketry Magazine?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwilley

I’m pretty sure it will work…
Reaction score
A couple issues ago an article about a scratch build Mega Der Red Max that I wrote got published in the Sport Rocketry Magazine. Has anyone here ever gotten an article published? Just wondering.

I've had two things printed.
One was a small treatment on the Estes clear igniters, got paid a one-year membership in the NAR.
The second was my plans for the "High Roller" model. Got a check for that one.

"How long was it from the time you submitted your article to the date of publication?"
Both took five or six months from submission.

About the time it takes to get published, min actually took about a year and a half!!! I think there is a very big backup of articles. Mine was really a small article so I didn't get paid anything, but it was still really rewarding to see what I wrote in a magazine. I am writing another that may be big enough to get paid a little.

About the time it takes to get published, min actually took about a year and a half!!! I think there is a very big backup of articles.
It partly depends on when you submit. Every year there is a big wall of 2-3 issues with coverage of various competitions and events that use up most of the available magazine space.

It partly depends on when you submit. Every year there is a big wall of 2-3 issues with coverage of various competitions and events that use up most of the available magazine space.
Yes there was several big long (still cool, but still long) articles between me submitting my article being published.

I've had 12 articles published since my first in 2014. There is a backlog, so it has taken 11-26 months before publication. Several issues are devoted to National events, and there is not much room in those for user submissions. Tom Beach, the editor, told me that shorter articles may run faster, as they may "fit" around other articles in the layout and can move up in the queue.

I've had 12 articles published since my first in 2014. There is a backlog, so it has taken 11-26 months before publication. Several issues are devoted to National events, and there is not much room in those for user submissions. Tom Beach, the editor, told me that shorter articles may run faster, as they may "fit" around other articles in the layout and can move up in the queue.
Yes, that is correct- but while the wait time is longer for bigger articles, the payment is bigger.

Yes, they "may", but the bigger the article, the more likely...

They *may* pay for articles.
Are you saying they'll publish articles without providng any compensation to the writers? Or are you saying they don't publish all the article submissions they receive and therefore, not all submisssions receive compensation?

Yes. If the article is not a very long one (as mine was) they probably will not pay anything (as they did).

It is the first answer- actually a lot of them do get published, not all get paid.
And when you say they don't get paid, you're saying they don't even get a free year of NAR membership or some other form of non-monetary compensation?

Nope. Kind of frustrating, but it is still fun to see your writing in print. But yes, you are right. They should have some way to compensate, even for the small articles. I think their trying to make more incentive for people to write bigger articles, but their waitlist is already over a year's wait long, so I don't see the logic in that.

Nope. Kind of frustrating, but it is still fun to see your writing in print. But yes, you are right. They should have some way to compensate, even for the small articles. I think their trying to make more incentive for people to write bigger articles, but their waitlist is already over a year's wait long, so I don't see the logic in that.
Yikes!

I have an article in the Member Handbook (not paid) and one article (so far) in Sport Rocketry detailing the build of an inexpensive rail pad. That one got me a check. My wife has one in the queue right now and I’m working (slowly) on a couple of others.

Back