New Missileworks product in the works?!?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kenny was curious again. He felt he MUST have an altimeter from Missileworks....
Actually I have the RRC2 and it's a swell little thing. But ask yourselves, can a person have too many altimeters??? I don't think so.

So...no word lately of availability date for the RRC3.

No one have them available during the sale frenzy this weekend?

No one have them available during the sale frenzy this weekend?

They're still in Alpha; nothing to sell.....yet.

The four of us have probably 15 - 20 total flights on the Alpha units, and we haven't yet used them for deployment duties. Once they're fully tested and ready, they'll go into production.

Trust me, we won't let this one not go into production -- the four of us who really want production units!

-Kevin

If this has been asked already, I beg your pardon, but is there an estimated time of arrival to market? I would hope to acquire one before June 2013.

It will be out well before then.

I don't want to speak for Jim, and give a target date.

-Kevin

The 4 of us testing and flying them are doing so every chance we get to fly. we are really trying to put them through the wringer to try and make sure they are the best product we can for everyone when they are released.

Mine was on board the Albatross during its O3400IM Cato yet it still emerged unscathed :D

OK, so I'm just starting to look into dual deploy. Comparing this to others.......The Adept22 is basically an intro version into dual deploy, does the deployment and beeps out the altitude attained. No computer hookups or anything. The Ravens and RRC3 do basically the same things....lot more bells and whistles than the adept...main differences is the Raven is a very small package and the RRC3 has a cool LCD that you can use for info(very basic description there), maybe dial into main deployment better than Adept22. And you can download the info to a computer and get readouts about the rocket flight. Whether you use all the bells and whistles or not is up to the flyer.......Is this a good (very) basic description of these? Looking forward to seeing these when they go live to the public.

You could say that.

[video=youtube_share;ki-vRVrxKpU]https://youtu.be/ki-vRVrxKpU[/video]

The 4 of us testing and flying them are doing so every chance we get to fly. we are really trying to put them through the wringer to try and make sure they are the best product we can for everyone when they are released.

Your efforts are appreciated! Take your time and maybe I'll start to accumulate some money so I can buy one when they come out!
-Ken

Any new info regarding the RRC3?

Yes, things are moving right along on schedule.

We shall have the 3rd round of Alpha test units & LCD hand held viewer screens in our hot little hands for further testing next week. I plan to fly it 2nd week of Jan.

Every thing seems to work perfectly, just many little tweaks to the unit to make more user friendly.
This is the first round of testing for the LCD unit.
It will allow programing on the field without need for a computer, & download the data after a flight. It can also be mounted on av-bay sled, plugged in RRC3 and you can SEE how high your flight was, along with all the other data.
Remember though....unit can also be programmed with dip switches right on altimeter itself. The LCD screen is just another tool for those that want to play!

Release date is getting much closer to becoming announced. [spring of 2013] Once the LCD & beta's pass muster, A firm date can be had.
This unit is the first ever to use a whole different approach to baro accuracy, radio sonde calculations.
I can't tell you how it works....only that it does. [I don't know LOL]
Jim Amos will explain all this and much more a bit down the road. You just cannot imagine how much effort, testing & time are going into this, so once released, there are no issues left unsolved.

We are making great strides, I would say we're in the home stretch.

I've had a few pics/teasers up in my build thread of the Black DarkStar & will show a pic of most of the RRC3 in a few days when I mount it on the sled.

Last edited:
Can't wait to check it out. Can we pre order? I would love to give it a try at spring Redglare.

Cheers

Yes, things are moving right along on schedule.

We shall have the 3rd round of Alpha test units & LCD hand held viewer screens in our hot little hands for further testing next week. I plan to fly it 2nd week of Jan.

This unit is the first ever to use a whole different approach to baro accuracy, radio sonde calculations.

I can't tell you how it works....only that it does. [I don't know LOL]
Jim Amos will explain all this and much more a bit down the road. You just cannot imagine how much effort, testing & time are going into this, so once released, there are no issues left unsolved.

We are making great strides, I would say we're in the home stretch.

i too have plans to fly one in JAN (even if i have to open the waiver myself):p

testing? i thought torture, beat up, push all the limits was what we were doing. man i have ben going about it all wrong :wink:

Can't wait to check it out. Can we pre order? I would love to give it a try at spring Redglare.

That's up to Jim Amos, but I doubt it -- since we're still trying out new features and functionality, the exact details aren't 100% finalized. Based on our testing, Jim has made (minor!) modifications to the hardware, but those can all affect cost.

Trust me, we all want this 100% done and on the market, too -- we all want to buy more of them!

-Kevin

I've got an Extreme Darkstar on the top of my build pile for when I get home in May with a first flight planned for Summer 2013...here's hoping the RRC3 is ready to go in it!

Ahhhh, we're foamin' at the mouth! You know, the dog sees a fine specimen of food and you won't let her have it... slobber everywhere, whining, the sharp occasional bark... describes me (and my dog) perfectly!-Ken

More features! Man,this thing is going to be feature packed.

This just in: "Apparently the thief, dressed as an aging Ninja, emerged from the back of an equally decrepit Aerostar van with the name 'Mobile Hangar Unit No. 1' according to witnesses on the scene. He did apear to have some difficulty climbing the stairs to the front door in this upscale Savanna neighborhood. Appearing to pause to catch his breath-they then say he used some 'magic words' and a crowbar to gain entry. He reportedly left with what appeared to be a very small package in his hand. The owner reports only 1 item was stolen, but the thief left behind a pile cash-mostly single and five's, on the kitchen counter on his way out. Police are as baffled as the homeowner. "Heck", he said. "ANYbody who's anybody can buy one of these for like half of what he left- Ninja my ass!" The manhunt continues.....film at 11.

Thanks to all of you for your interest.

I've refrained from posts or comments about the RRC3 project until the design was a bit more mature and the alpha test crew had logged some data collection and deployment-duty flights... suffice it to say the alpha team has done a great job of testing, flying, bug-smashing, and feature-creeping. For the older flyers, you may recall that back in 2003/2004 I embarked up a new avionics project (the mPAC). The RRC3 project has many of the attributes developed during the mPAC project, except the RRC3 is faster/better/cheaper.

We're in the final phase of alpha testing... the 3rd and hopefully "final version" of alpha hardware should be in the hands of the alpha test crew sometime next week. The goal of this alpha version is to test the anticipated final configuration of all the system hardware and software. The team will be flushing out and validating all aspects of the design so I can move into "beta testing".

The beta test objective is to have the hardware and software as close as possible to the finished "consumer ready" version. During the initial beta testing, the team and myself will be working on the last and final task of documentation (and there's a lot to document).

I'm looking to expand the alpha team from (5) individuals into (8) individuals for the beta test team when the documentation is finally in shape. I've potentially enlisted a local flyer here in Colorado for beta test (still waiting for him to agree), so I'll need at least 2 (or 3) more flyers to volunteer their services... I need *active* flyers who are willing to go beyond their comfort zones and actively test, evaluate, and engage in the entire testing process. You need to have an XP based PC (MAC software coming) at a minimum, and you need to be a registered member of TRF so you can log into our project forum. Please email to [email protected] if you'd like to be considered. Please describe the types of rockets and flights you make, and your opportunities for launch events... you also get to keep all your beta test hardware for participating.

One last request to all that are reading...

I'm looking for additional *extreme* barometric flight data, specifically to characterize the worst case sonic/subsonic "mach transitions" at motor burnout to ensure the RRC3 can algorithmically compensate. This barometric data can be from *any* commercial recording altimeter out there as long as there's an available PC compatible viewer and/or a means to dump the barometric data into Excel.

Here's the area of the flight regime I'm interested in:
raven-capture.PNG

Please email, or post your data here in this thread.
Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Jim

One last request to all that are reading...

I'm looking for additional *extreme* barometric flight data, specifically to characterize the worst case sonic/subsonic "mach transitions" at motor burnout to ensure the RRC3 can algorithmically compensate. This barometric data can be from *any* commercial recording altimeter out there as long as there's an available PC compatible viewer and/or a means to dump the barometric data into Excel.

Here's the area of the flight regime I'm interested in:
View attachment 110744

Please email, or post your data here in this thread.
Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Jim

Jim,

Would this fit the type of flight profile / data you are looking for? (at least it looks similar with the "hook" you are highlighting)

-Tim

LDRS30dragrace.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tim -

Please post the file, or email it.
This is what I'm looking for.
Trying to characterize some worst case conditions.

Thx.

Hi Tim -

Please post the file, or email it.
This is what I'm looking for.
Trying to characterize some worst case conditions.

Thx.

I'll email the file tomorrow when I get to the right computer.

Well it's been a month, any new and or exciting updates for the general public? Really I think I'm just wishing spring were here. I've had enough winter for one season. I hope things don't get too bad for the east US with that big storm rolling in!
Ken

Been wondering about this myself lately.
For those of us that are "pretty sure" we are getting one of these when they hit the shelves, is there any need to pre-order or somesuch?

s6

Those of us testing them got shiny new boards, with the latest firmware, along with a really cool add-on that's rather unique!

-Kevin

Back