New build, 5 Finger Death Punch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mork.jpg

Left overs from Mork suspenders? I Like em but don't fit the metal theme. LOL

I can't believe I used to watch that show. LOL

Really like the color choices, and the overall proportions.

Last edited:
That is another beauty Jim!!

Thanks again for sharing, I use some of you techniques in my builds now, never forget about the hairdryer on those vinyl though, in case ya need it, Mark was right about it!!

It's been a while since I've worked on rockets, but I'm hoping against hope that we'll have a launch next weekend. So just in case, I got some work done on the finishing touches. I'm using a 60" military parachute that I got from Aerocon. It had a tiny loop taped onto the end with some sort of space age tape. The loop wasn't big enough for the quick link, so I lashed it with some Kevlar and cut the tape. I also got the retention clips made, from 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum bar. Hopefully Death Punch will fly soon!

329_chute.jpg

330_chute.jpg

331_chute.jpg

332_chute.jpg

333_recovery.jpg

335_retention.jpg

336_retention.jpg

339_retention.jpg

340_retention.jpg

I'm with Jeff here.

We were in so much hurry yesterday, I was even less social than usual. I didn't even see you Jim. How did it go?

Ari.

I expect a HUGE long launch report!!!! Many many flights...

Waiting..... :) :wink::gavel::flyingpig:

I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed...

I'm with Jeff here.

We were in so much hurry yesterday, I was even less social than usual. I didn't even see you Jim. How did it go?

Ari.

Hey Ari, I saw you and Leah from afar, but we were never in the same place at the same time.

I think this is my favorite of all the rockets Jim has built.

What's not to like? It's big, it's colorful, it has a chute for the airframe and a second chute for the nosecone.

But next time I want to see it go up on an "energetic" J motor.

I have to agree, I really like it too. I got a lot of comments on it at the launch. I'm thinking about a J250 Fast Jack for its second launch. Should take it to about 2400 feet.

I was just reading the instructions for the J250FJ reload. It says it comes in a long delay only. I'm guessing that's 14 seconds? It also says it doesn't come with an ejection charge, I'll have to supply my own BP. I emailed Aerotech asking about the length of the delay, and how much BP comes with the I229T reload.

I can not say this is my favorite since several have not flown yet.
:wink:

IIRC most new AT loads come only with long delays. You are expected to drill them as needed. I like this of course. As for no BP, that is news to me. I am frugal with it. I use 1 to 2 grams that come with a load as needed and always save any left over.

No special sauce comes with the reload? Okay.

Long delay only? Okay.

Now about that motor choice. The J250 burns a bit over 3 seconds and produces only 8.2G of acceleration on MY 80 oz 4" tube fin. As a firm believer in the "Motion is Lotion" school of thought I consider 8.2g's a bit slow. I'm not sure how much the 5FDP weighs but got believe it's more than 80 oz.

Didn't you put it up on the I599 for the maiden? That one sims 27g's on MY bird so it's most likely a lot less on the 5FDP.

Try running a sim on the J540R and see if you like that. It's a 2.25 or less burn and a Redline so it peaks at about 650 newtons.

J800t? :)

I can not say this is my favorite since several have not flown yet.
:wink:

IIRC most new AT loads come only with long delays. You are expected to drill them as needed. I like this of course. As for no BP, that is news to me. I am frugal with it. I use 1 to 2 grams that come with a load as needed and always save any left over.

I know, I need to get caught up. Next launch, I'll only fly virgin birds. I agree with the long delay. When I was flying a lot of mid power, I always ordered the reloads with the longest delay possible. You can drill down, but not up!

Back