• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

need wind tunnel plans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stardust

Reaction score
I want to build a wind tunnel about 4'x4'x20'...any suggestions or plans?

When we get ours unpacked (probably in a couple of weeks) I can do some photographs of our wind tunnel. It's not that large (ours is about 18" in diameter for the tunnel, itself, and about 3 feet long)., but might give you some ideas. Would that help at all?

How fast do you need it to go, and what are you using it for?

How fast do you need it to go, and what are you using it for?

Using it for birds too big for the string swing, 35-50mph. I've been getting funny looks from people as my wife drives and I'm hanging out the other window with a rocket on a rope in the wind... Hey, is there some type of pivot and sensors, software for a wind tunnel?

Last edited:
When we get ours unpacked (probably in a couple of weeks) I can do some photographs of our wind tunnel. It's not that large (ours is about 18" in diameter for the tunnel, itself, and about 3 feet long)., but might give you some ideas. Would that help at all?

Thanks!

20ft long? That is a big wind tunnel to have at home.

Also, before you start building, check the power requirements. Something tells me you will need one big motor to supply the wind for something this size. Not to mention a big (or multiple small ) propellers.

What characteristic are your trying to measure? What speed do you want to do the measurement at?

For larger rockets, if it's a standard-looking design, you can estimate drag and stability using simulation software. If it's a non-standard design, make a smaller scale model to swing test and/or test fly.

It's expensive and impractical to build an effective large windtunnel for personal use.

-John

What characteristic are your trying to measure? What speed do you want to do the measurement at?

For larger rockets, if it's a standard-looking design, you can estimate drag and stability using simulation software. If it's a non-standard design, make a smaller scale model to swing test and/or test fly.

It's expensive and impractical to build an effective large windtunnel for personal use.

-John
Thank you

20ft long? That is a big wind tunnel to have at home.

Also, before you start building, check the power requirements. Something tells me you will need one big motor to supply the wind for something this size. Not to mention a big (or multiple small ) propellers.

And a trailer to be able to take it around to other rocketeers places...

If all you're using it for is CP, then I'd go with a combination of simulation software and small-scale models instead. I've never had an unstable rocket, and the few I was unsure about I built in small-scale (BT55 or so) first, so I could test and see if it would work before building a large one.

Back