Need some motor and retainer dimensions...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2hpr

Reaction score
Break out your calipers!

I'm trying to plan the motor spacing for a cluster setup: 38mm sustainer and 6x 24mm auxiliary.:)

What I need to find is:
Aeropack retainer OD of permanently attached part (external threads) and OD of retainer ring. 38mm for LOC tubing

OD of rear closure on 24mm reload casing (Aerotech, Rouse-tech, etc.)

I'd like to space the 24's such that the Aeropack 38 would also hold the 24's. This would keep it clean and make loading quick and secure.

Thanks for any help!
-Ken

That would be interesing! I would think that if you were very careful with how much the 24mm motor mount stick out (will effect if the motors aft edge is securely in contact with the 38mm aeropack retaining cap) then you would have a very clean nice setup! If you cant get this to work, make the 24mm's pretty close to the 38mm and put 3 T-nuts in the centering ring between each pair of 24mm motors. If you size the washer right, each 24mm motor will have one washer/screw holding it on and the 38mm will have 3 washers. Each screw/washer/t-nut assembly holds two 24mm motors and the 38mm

I did this (well I had individual kaplow clips for the 3 motors) on my freedom won because all of the aeropacks would be pretty expensive, it actually looks pretty nice, but if you could get that setup working as your described with the aeropack... it would be really nice! Just hope those 24mm motors dont burn/damage the retaining cap!

Hmmm.

I like the sound of your idea, especially the price! Hadn't thought about the 24's burning the 38's ring. That would be a bummer.

On to plan B.

Thanks,
-Ken

with a large central motor and an even number of outboards I think its the only way to go! It is a really neat look with 3 washers holding everything in...

Thats the idea! But if you look at it, the other 3 outboard motors require additional clips... if a large washer was used and was placed a little differently then all 7 motors could be retained with 3 washers.

Originally posted by new2hpr
I'd like to space the 24's such that the Aeropack 38 would also hold the 24's. This would keep it clean and make loading quick and secure.
A Rowes Retainer will so this for you and can be used on another model too. That is exactly what I used on Pyrophoria.

Hope this helps.

Back