Need Help Choosing a GPS Module For my Avionics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one should I choose?

• Neo-7M

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neo-M8N

• Quectel L86

• SC-872A

• Total voters

user 31826

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between choices of GPS modules for my rocket avionics computer. (This computer is just for dual deployment recovery.)

First thing to note is that the rocket I'm preparing this computer for will experience 18G of acceleration. I know that consumer-level GPS modules can't work under this condition but I just need the GPS to work on the launch platform and after the parachutes have deployed. I don't need the location data that is generated during the ascend.

I am trying to decide between these 4 choices:
UBlox NEO-M8N
Telit SC-872A
UBlox NEO-7M
Quectel L86

Where I live I don't have easy access to other kinds of GPS modules so I will only focus on these 4.

I was recommended to aim for NEO-7M or NEO-M8N by a mentor and in other forums (the forum recommendation was a little off the topic)
The reason my mentor recommended the ones he did was because last time I used NEO-6M which performed very poorly.

I have compared these 4 and according to the datasheets and all 4 of these:
Can tolerate 4g of acceleration.
Can tolerate velocity of 1.5Mach(510m/s).
And have a similar cold start, hot start and warm start times.

The main difference is in acquisition (acq) and tracking (trc).

- The Quectel L86 has -149dBm acq and -167dBm trc sensitivity. With 99acq 33 trc channels.
- The SC-872A has -148dBm acq and -165dBm trc sensitivity. With 99acq 33 trc channels.
- The NEO-7M has -147dBm acq and -161dBm trc sensitivity. With 56 channels that are no further specified.
- The NEO-M8N has -148dBm acq and -166dBm trc sensitivity. With 72 channels that are no further specified.

And the cost comparison of the modules are as follows:
M8N > SC-872A > Quectel L86 > 7M

Quectel L86 seems like a good choice because of the sensitivity but since so many people pointed out the NEO M8N I am confused. If anyone could further compare especially Quectel L86 to others or recommend the better GPS to use out of these 4 I would really appreciate it.

Back