Need advise; Launch pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyspike1

Reaction score
I'm looking for advise on launch pads for Mid to High power rockets. I already have Estes "E" pad, and ordered Aerotech Mantis,(because its what i wanted all along) I also have Aerotech interlock contoller using 12v car batt. I recently decided to step up to L1 HPR, hoping to complete cert attempt in April. The rocket I have chosen is LOC Hightech, I also have completed LOC Viper IV with 4 cluster tubes(Not using this for cert.) They have equip there, but would like to have own setup. Question is...Is Estes "E" or Aero Mantis enough to launch G thru I setups???

If you are looking to launch mid to high power rockets, your best option is to join either Broward Area Rocket Society, which launches near Ft. Lauderdale, or Tripoli South Florida #111 which launches near Ft. Myers.

Mid to high power rocketry on public land without some sort of club backing is troublesome at best these days. Private landowners are often reluctant to allow individuals launch privileges due to the perceived liability issues.

I would save the money that you would spend on a large launch pad, put some of it toward dues to the nearest club, and spend the rest on rockets and propellant.

Just my :2: ...

G.D.

The area I was going to attempt is up by Palm Bay, I applied to Spaceport Rocketry Assoc. for membership this week. They fly with FAA waiver 3rd Sat. each month,(provided there no ban due to extreme drought here lately) Most of my launches are in the D,E,F, and G motor platforms. Other than my 2 HPR rockets...and maybe 1 or 2 more I might build, I have 200 acres of Florida scrub and cow pasture ( Written permission from landowners) and all Martin Co School District property...fringe benefit of my employ with Maint.Dept. Any sources for better pads appreciated...Unless I can use my Estes "E" or Aero Mantis, just not sure they can handle HPR.. or should i fabricate one?

Last edited:
Always Ready Rocketry has them already built or McMaster Carr has the parts if you want to build your own.

I have a concept. It is a nice pad. I really like the simplicity.

Thanx, viewed all the above,plus some others along with some ideas of my own will be scouring the materials and making shop drawings this week.(I noticed some 1"x3" hollow alum box tubing 3/16" walled in shop scrap rack) Adjustable legs, height & spread definately. maybe fabricate slide in couplers w/locking ringed pins. Adjustable tilt head...great idea above using "turnbuckle" style for changing plumb of rod.(link from Rockets4kids) I'm suprised that nobody has weighed in on using the pads i have in the meantime? Estes "E", and Aero-Mantis. Aerotech interlock controller(12v car batt),1/4"x72" steel rod, I've used many times w/ "D" & "E"' motors but what about F,G and possibly 38mm H's??

I wouldn't recommend using a 1/4" rod for H & I motors. A 3/8" would work better, but I don't think those pads can handle anything that large.

If you have a choice, use a rail instead of the rods. I've converted all my 29mm and up (and some 24mm too) to fly on rails. It's just so much better then the rods. Some of those converted rockets have the launch lugs on one side and rail buttons on the other, mostly because I'm too lazy to remove the lugs and repaint, not because I ever use rods for those rockets.

The Aerotech Mantis pad is definitely NOT suitable for high power launches. I personally don't recommend the Mantis for anything much bigger than a 2 lb rocket on a G motor. Even then, you should stake down the legs.

I bought a Mantis when I first got back into rocketry. It is junk. It is ok for a, b, c , d, and e. I would avoid it for most F and G flights. Build one yourself out of PVC and when you get to H and above, join a club.

Back