Need launch pad help/ideas.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzviper1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am planning on buying a Rockwell Jaw Stand for a rail launch pad, but I want to add 1/8 and 3/16 rods to it as well.
I would like to do this in a way that I don't have to change out the rail for a rod, I want all three to be on the pad ready to go.
I would also like to keep it as professional looking as I can. I am hoping that you guys might have some good ideas as I am drawing a blank on this one.
P.S. I have no welding capabilities.

Thank you.

Are you looking for ideas on a good launch pad without welding. I came up with an idea using a new utility light stand that was missing lights.

I am planning on buying a Rockwell Jaw Stand for a rail launch pad, but I want to add 1/8 and 3/16 rods to it as well.
I would like to do this in a way that I don't have to change out the rail for a rod, I want all three to be on the pad ready to go.
I would also like to keep it as professional looking as I can. I am hoping that you guys might have some good ideas as I am drawing a blank on this one.

Thank you.
Aluminum is your friend here, its easily "machine worked" will fairly common wood working/construction tools. Easy to drill and tap, cuts with a carbide blade on a power miter saw or a hacksaw/reciprocating saw.

I made mine from a utility light tripod. I found a heavy duty speaker bracket on Amazon with an adjustable 90 degree pivot with thumb screws. I will be replacing the screws with quick release pins. I will add a plate over the bracket with a blast deflector plate. As far as a holder for different size launch rods I will be adding a keyless 1/2” drill chuck for a quick change of rods. The other side of the plate I’m thinking of installing a rail. With this set up you can pull the pin and tilt the pad 90 degrees horizontal to load the rocket and return it back vertically.

I put a 2x4 in my Jawstand. On one side a 1010 rail. On the other side, two pieces of wood, through bolted with wing nuts. Put my rod in, crush it in place with the wood and wing nuts.

Want more spacing? Lean the rail over and crush the rod in at an angle.

I don't have a Rockwell, but I have a bike stand with an arm clamp. I installed rail buttons on one side of a PVC pipe to slide a rail on. The other side has clamps and set screws to fit any size rod from 1/8" to 1/4". The arm clamp locks on the pipe which acts as a mast for the rail and rods. I put the rod clamps near the top of the pipe to allow for flying all types of rockets, including ring tails. I forgot what the correct term for the rod clamp is, they're an electrical item for grounding the neutral wire. Available in hardware stores in different sizes. The arm clamp can swivel to horizontal for loading. A couple of pics:
1123220740[1].jpg
1123220740a[1].jpg
You get the idea. I would set up the whole stand with rail and rods attached and take pictures but I'm too lazy. ;)

I have one that’s built from a utility light tri pod stand. It’s not complete yet because of rocket building but it will have a 90 degree tilt. If your looking for an idea look into PVC pipe. It’s strong, inexpensive and you can find something to mount on top that tilts. There are quite a few angles and fittings that are available to spread the legs out for stability. And it’s not heavy.

Thank you.
I got these really nice 8" diameter stainless plates for blast deflectors at work, so I made these stainless steel blocks & drilled them for 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" rods and cross drilled each for a locking knob to keep the rods from trying to leave the pad with the rocket. The blocks could be any material you have available, and the deflector plate could be JB welded.ir epoxied to the blocks. The block is secured to a 1" x 2" aluminum tube that then get clamped to the Rockwell jaw stand.

Attachments

• IMG_20230428_161907.jpg
    IMG_20230428_161907.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230428_161858.jpg
    IMG_20230428_161858.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230428_161903.jpg
    IMG_20230428_161903.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 0
Back