Need a name.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what you should call it, but that shape is an astroid -- derived from the Greek word for "star". Maybe something playing off that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroid
I was thinking "Stellation". Just plane "Astroid" would do.

Also, there used to be a motel chain, maybe only in New Jersey, which had a tower in front of each motel that looked rather like that. I can't remember what it was called.

Uh-oh. Now you're gonna get all the Anti-Vaxxers after you!

Pfft. M'kay. But I don't take positions. All I do is share brainstorming time for free, so they'd be running towards thin air.
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 2.58.07 PM.png

(Hmmm ... it wouldn't take much to make this aerodynamic wouldn't it)

I’d name it HEADS UP
or “fly or die“. Whatever you name it, shout it. Make sure everyone is looking Incase it crashes.

Campanile (bell tower detached from the church structure)
Mormons to the Moon! (apologies to LDS members, but the spires on tabernacles do look a lot like rockets...)

Did this fly yet? I want to caution on the stability...I drew something up like this one time, triangular shaped and with fins. I called it Buffy because it looked like the stakes that Buffy the Vampire Slayer used.

Flew it on a B6-2 or something like that. Perfectly fine flight, but very short. Decided to put a C6-something in it for flight 2, get it above 200 feet being the goal. It cleared the rod, did a 270 degree flip, and then shot off horizontally about 20 feet off the ground, passing above the crowd. No one got hit, but that flight was close to going very poorly and was too close to living up to its name's inspiration.

First time you fly, do so from a safe distance in case it goes sideways, metaphorically and literally. I still shudder thinking about that experience.

Did this fly yet? I want to caution on the stability...

Given the way it is shaped, my eyeball calc agrees and says CP will be way forward, so you'll need a lotta nose weight or add some drag to the back to get it stable enough (there's a reason for those finny things in the back of the rocket! ;)).
Regardless, it's an incredible design and I'd love to see it have a good launch! Until then, the name calling will continue until you give in! :angiefavorite:🤣

"Super-Posit-Tore-E"

Back