NAR Prez - NARCON 2008 Thanks (and Report!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
My thanks to Carol Marple and the entire MASA gang for a truly superb NARCON 2008. From the time I walked into the hotel on Thursday until I drove out of the garage on Sunday afternoon, everything ran like clockwork. Carol tried to disparage her efforts saying she'd only been a rocketeer for three years, but her organizational efforts and professionalism were the equal of ANY industry or trade show conference I've attended in my "real" career.

The NAR Board of Trustees had a productive, if lengthy meeting (we didn't get done until nearly midnight the first night!), about which I'll report in more detail after I get some more sleep.

Friday night was spent being welcomed, and wandering around the vendor room lightening my wallet. I did do one smart thing there and got in line in time to grab a Golden Scout before Semroc sold out!. I also grabbed a Fliskits Rose-a-Roc (cuz I can't build HD models worth a hoot.)

Saturday, I started with my talk "From Wacka-Wacka to Zip-Zip, A History of Radio Controlled Rocket Gliders" which was pretty well attended, and apparently entertaining. For me, the pictures of Bob Parks from 1974, complete with Afro hairdo, was worth the research!

Glen Overby did a very good beginner oriented talk on electronic recovery systems. I particularly liked his table comparing features of the different systems on the market. Presenting material like that saves you time searching out and comparing product features on your own!

Chan Stevens' talk on MicroMaxx models was, IMHO, equally entertaining. Personally, I find these birds just as interesting as big HPR birds, but I'd go blind building these puppies. For people on tight budgets or limited launch fields, you should think about these rockets. If you'd had the chance to see Chan's "fleet" of MMX birds, you'd want to go out and build bunches of them (just like he did).

In a vein similar to Glen's talk, Dwayne Shmel did an overview of low power video systems. He started by saying he'd only been flying for 15 months, but felt that sharing his experiences would help others get over the "I'm only a rookie" feeling and try some of this stuff. All I can say is "Right on! Preach it, sir!" I learned a lot about the tradeoffs between system features from his flying. He also entertained us with videos from his flights, very cool!

I then did my talk "Life in the NAR Oval Office: One MBA’s Approach to Leadership" trying to explain exactly what the heck I do as NAR president, and to outline the management philosophy I try to bring to the table. This was one of the most intimidating talks I've ever given at a NARCON, mainly because a majority of the NAR Board was in attendance and, at least in theory, they see this stuff in practice!

The Saturday night presentation by Vern and Gleda Estes was a true treasure. I've known Vern and Gleda for too many years to count, been in countless NAR Board meetings with Vern, seen his work with NFPA, and been entertained in the Estes home, but about 80% of the presentation was ENTIRELY new to me. Vern's posted a great YouTube video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgKxQqDGrrA

that he showed, stepped through and commented on that was utterly fascinating. Go see it!

On Sunday, Trip Barber finally explained the aerodynamics of helicopter recovery models to me (and anyone else attending his presentation that was alive and awake!). He also did this in English, instead of "MIT-ese", truly a prodigious feat! Joyce Guzik followed up that with a more general talk on HD stuff, and offered some "interesting" suggestions for models that might be a bit off the beaten path for HD flyers!

I closed the convention with an NAR town hall meeting, outling the Board meeting and a LOT of other projects underway. Suffice it to say, the NAR is alive and very well these days.

Again, my sincere thanks to Carol and the MASA crew for a great weekend!

My thanks to Carol Marple and the entire MASA gang for a truly superb NARCON 2008. ... , everything ran like clockwork.
... my sincere thanks to Carol and the MASA crew for a great weekend!
My sentiments exactly.

Saturday, I started with my talk "From Wacka-Wacka to Zip-Zip, A History of Radio Controlled Rocket Gliders" which was pretty well attended, and apparently entertaining.
That was fun and interesting.
I then did my talk "Life in the NAR Oval Office: One MBA’s Approach to Leadership" trying to explain exactly what the heck I do as NAR president, and to outline the management philosophy I try to bring to the table.
That presentation gave me a new level of appreciation for all the hard work that you, the board, and the committees do, as well as the level of enthusiasm and business professionalism that you personally bring to the job. Your job is often thankless, so let me offer you my thanks.

Suffice it to say, the NAR is alive and very well these days.
And at least one member larger. After years on the outside looking in, I finally joined the NAR family yesterday.

Mr. Bundick...

Thank you so much for the kind words. We had hoped that we would be able to put on a good convention for all of you, and it sounds like maybe we did.

It was a lot of fun for those of us who did the planning work, and we are greatly honored that we were able to host a second NARCON in a row.

Back