Starship Moon Lander Variant with thrust vector control

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheree

Reaction score
The model shown below was designed and flown by Guy Gehlhausen one of our customers that really enjoys building scale models using thrust vector control components purchased from BPS Space. I took his blueprints and 3D printed the nose cone, mid body thrusters, landing legs with fairings, and mounting hardware for the BPS gimbal mounts. He posted his flight videos on twitter yesterday and as of this morning has 55,000 view!

Guy has graciously offered to share all his design info with us at Boyce Aerospace Hobbies if there is an interest in the community for a Starship model kit specifically designed for the BPS Space thrust vector system. So, I guess we need feedback.

The model shown is just a bit heavier than Guy would have liked with a flight ready mass of 1020 grams or 36oz. He feels that if we can shave off about 2.5 oz it would be perfect. Although a tad heavy the model flew perfectly on both maiden flights with an average velocity of only 15mph (we're talking super slow realistic take offs) and a apogee of 125 feet. He flew the model on a F15 motor.

Here's some of the communication he sent me this morning:
"At peak thrust of the F15 in the first 0.25 seconds, the T/W ratio(G’s) was about 2.6 and I prefer it to be closer to 3.0. As the motor’s thrust curve flattens out, the rocket was flying at T/W(G.s) of about 1.5 until burnout. Although a model rocket will fly at that low of T/W, it was right at the limit. That is why I added the boosters just in case, but I would not want them on a final model. The apogee turned out to be about 40 meters or 125 ft. and the average velocity was only 15 mph. The descent rate was 13 ft/ sec on a 42” chute- I typically shoot for less than 15 ft/sec to avoid damage. We were flying on a nice grass soccer field and there was no damage to the landing legs, even with a 36” chute on the second flight.

The cool thing about cutting it that close on the T/W ratio is the slow realistic takeoff and low velocity compared to a typical aerodynamic model rocket. I still think shaving a few ounces off would be advisable."

The boosters he's talking about are three 13mm A motors located in the mid body thruster units! He has not flown the model with then in use yet (if we did a kit this would NOT be a feature).
IMG_6387.jpg
IMG_6383.jpgIMG_6377.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6404.MOV
    5.2 MB
  • IMG_6405.MOV
    6.1 MB
Back