My Web Site...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the question is

• ggg

• hhh

• jjj

• kkk

• lll

• ggg

• hhh

• jjj

• kkk

• lll

Results are only viewable after voting.

Electrode

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I've been working on my website a bit lately... And I was wondering if I could get the great people of the Forum to give me some feed back on my new addition.

I've added music to the first page... I know a lot of people don't like sound or music on websites but give it a chance. The whole page loads up first, then the music, so if you don't want to wait for the music you just move on. And it's only on the first page.

I'd like to know how long it took to download for ya, and what speed you are connect. and your personal opinon as well.

The website is under construction and I don't have a lot on it yet.. But I'm getting there, inbetween doing real world stuff....

Well thanks for takeing the time..

Tim Hansford
[email protected]
www.TimHansford.com
Tripoli Michiana Vise-Prefect
www.TripoliMichiana.net

Only problem I see is that you use a Microsoft product. Don't you know if you use one of their software packages, they will slowly take over your life? Evil Microsoft. They are probably listening in on our conversation right now, controlling reality. Do you really think that is air you are breathing? Follow the white rabbit. Knock - knock... :D

That's coming along nicely. Good job. I like the rollover images going from blue to red.

One note: [anal warning] It's "'bear' with me", not "'bare' with me". [/anal warning] Course I'm no English expert but I think that's right.

I can't hear the music here at work so I give the site two thumbs up.

And don't listen to Phil, MS makes some of the best development tools in the industry. He's just mad because Bill makes more money in a second than he does in 5 years. :D

Always gotta be someone out there that can spell.. I'm sure my daughter would have cought it when she takes a look at it this weekend.. and she's going on 8 yrs old.. lol...

Thanks Milo for the info.... I'll fixit later to night...

I'm actually terrible with my own spelling and grammer but seem to be able to see other's mistakes easily.

I butcher there, their, they're and our, are and or all the time.

It's easy being the critic. :D

Tim,

The site looks nice! I voted in the poll but wanted to give more feedback. I liked the banner, the buttons and the overall layout. I voted against the music for two reasons, nothing against the song: 1. It took too long to load. 2. Music on sites often disrupts the music I am be listening to, so I'm not big on it in general.

I have an 'ancient' 56k dial-up line and the site took over 12 minutes to load, it appeared over 10 of that was the music file. That seemed a bit slow even for my typical connection, but 1.2M is too big for a background download IMHO. This may not be the case for ppl with cable/DSL, etc, but most site designers probably would agree in general.

I have to admit, the song is kinda cute :) And its good you kept it on the top page, with most of the content on linked pages.

(In reading this over I'm not sure how my tone will come across :( but am too lazy to rework it. I meant it as constructive advice. ;) )

Milo, you suck. :)

The reason I hate Microsoft is not cause of what Bill makes. It is because Bill wont adopt me. I have sent so many letters that the courts told me I have to leave him alone. Oooops, did I type that out loud? :D

I have cable modem access to the internet. It took about 15 or 20 seconds for the site, along with the music, to load.

Not a fan of the music. If I was about 3 sheets to the wind, it might be OK.

I did like the LongShot in the first pic. I'm a big fan of the LongShot. I have had several. Still have one that is unopened (for the moment). If you slightly modify the booster to a LongShot, you can combine LongShot boosters and turn it into a 3 stage. :D :D I am dying to try mine with the new C11 24mm Estes engines. I should be able to fly it 3 stage with the new C11's without losing anything.

Rest of the web site is pretty cool too.

Originally posted by PGerringer
Milo, you suck. :)

Oooops, did I type that out loud? :D

It's not "out loud", it's "aloud" ... :D

I'm an engineer that can spell -- go figure ... (of course, it was the grammar, not spelling, since you spelled "out loud" perfectly.)

Now that I read that, it sounds stupid to say "aloud", so I think I like "out loud" better. I'm confused, I'm outta here (I mean "out of")...

Well now that you mention, and please BEAR with me, 'bare' is not misspelled either. It's just the wrong word in this case. The proper word in this case is/was 'bear'. :D

Originally posted by Jase

And then again, it all depends on what he's really asking for. ;)

Thanks for that mental image there Jase. :eek:

Hay I don't think I like being the butt of your guy's jokes.. :eek:

lol....

Well Tim,

I am going to go out on a limb here...

Your paged loaded very fast for me and yes, I am on cable. The music started playing almost immediately...and I LIKE IT! :) Also, your layout is sweet...very easy and looks great. The pic on the front with your daughter is it man! They are the future of our hobby and it's good to see it on a website.

About the only thing I would do is shorten the song a bit...maybe one chorus...that would aid the 56k'ers.

Again, nice job!

Carl

Social divisions are often based on 'haves' and 'have nots'...those who have a computer, and those who do not....those who have internet access, and those who do not...AND those who have high speed access, and those who do not....:(

Every now and again a social reformer comes along (i.e. Carl) and tries to bridge these gaps. The idea of shortening the song is prolly a good compromise.

But, having a one track mind, I just bookmarked the rocketry page anyway.

Originally posted by CTulanko
The music started playing almost immediately...and I LIKE IT! :)

Carl

Well, there's no accounting for taste.... or lack thereof. I hate to tell you this Tim, but if Carl LIKED the music.... you're in trouble. Carl is Czechoslavakian (and a REDNECK Polish Czech, to boot), and he even likes POLKAs. Unfortunately, I even had the unfortunate opportunity to see him dance the polka at his wedding. A sight that I still have nightmares about.

I was going to say some other things, but I don't know whether to use "but" or "butt," "hey" or "hay,"..... never mind.

And ya know, Tim.... we wouldn't give ya such a hard time if we didn't like ya. :D

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by KenParker
And ya know, Tim.... we wouldn't give ya such a hard time if we didn't like ya.

KenParker
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I am truely scared.... :)

ahhh well thanks guys.. I can feel the love in the room... can I have your Budwiser now? :D

Originally posted by Electrode
Hay I don't think I like being the butt of your guy's jokes.. :eek:

lol....

Well, Milo did tell everyone he was providing an "anal warning" ...
:eek:

Well, I voted in the poll already to lose the music but, I do like the song. I just don't believe that it should be forced on everyone as background music. My recomendation would be to put a link on the front page to a player that would allow the people who wanted to hear it to access it. Just my 2 cents.

I tend to agree with rstaff and Mark on the music issue; its invasive and takes too long to load on a dial-up. OTOH, the navigation links do appear before the music finishes downloading, so you can get out of that page relatively easily.

Back