My Rocket collection so far!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The.MiniTard

Reaction score
Hey everyone. just thought I'd share a few photos of the rockets I currently have. I am a beginner so please, don't judge me too harshly. Any ideas on the Dark Energy? I absolutely hate the way the nose cone and fins look(besides the fins being broken), so I was thinking about using the BT55 body tube and motor mount and buying a NC and sheet of balsa and building my own using open rocket as a design aide. Thanks for taking a look!!

Attachments

• Estes Group shot.jpeg
    Estes Group shot.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Estes Alpha.jpeg
    Estes Alpha.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • Estes Dark Energy.jpeg
    Estes Dark Energy.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Estes Epic 2.jpeg
    Estes Epic 2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Estes The Magician.jpeg
    Estes The Magician.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
You have some cool rockets! Enjoy the hobby! You can download the free "Open Rocket" program at https://openrocket.info/ and use it to help you design any rockets you build yourself or modify and then simulate how high they will fly when launched.

Looking forward to seeing your builds and hearing about your flights in the future!

time to get busy building them 👍
definitely. that's what stage in in now....what to build next. I'm really thinking about just using the BT and motor mount from the Dark Energy kit because there's no way ill ever use that nose cone. The only nose cones that I can find that fit this BT55 sized tube are the ones that come in the 4 pack and I don't like those. Im sure ill find a cone that I like soon, I haven't been looking very hard because of the approaching holiday.

That BT-55 is a pretty versatile tube. If you put in some reinforcement you can go for a 29mm mount (E through I motors), or keep it light to install an 18mm mount and fly As. Just check your stability and be safe.

definitely. that's what stage in in now....what to build next. I'm really thinking about just using the BT and motor mount from the Dark Energy kit because there's no way ill ever use that nose cone. The only nose cones that I can find that fit this BT55 sized tube are the ones that come in the 4 pack and I don't like those. Im sure ill find a cone that I like soon, I haven't been looking very hard because of the approaching holiday.
Balsa Machining is a great source for parts at reasonable prices: https://www.balsamachining.com/. That's where I buy almost everything, except when it's something they don't have. Go get yourself an assortment and you'll be ready to start kitbashing and/or scratchbuilding.

And I'll echo what @smstachwick said above: BT55 is a fantastic size, I would argue the ideal LPR size. Big enough to easily pack a parachute, small enough to work fine with 18mm motors, but also great for 24mm and even 29mm if you want to go high-performance (but it's not LPR anymore at that point).

As an aside, I love the nose cones in the Estes 4-pack. But to each his own.

Finally: I will not ask why you purchased a Dark Energy if you dislike it so much. ;)

Balsa Machining is a great source for parts at reasonable prices: https://www.balsamachining.com/. That's where I buy almost everything, except when it's something they don't have. Go get yourself an assortment and you'll be ready to start kitbashing and/or scratchbuilding.

And I'll echo what @smstachwick said above: BT55 is a fantastic size, I would argue the ideal LPR size. Big enough to easily pack a parachute, small enough to work fine with 18mm motors, but also great for 24mm and even 29mm if you want to go high-performance (but it's not LPR anymore at that point).

As an aside, I love the nose cones in the Estes 4-pack. But to each his own.

Finally: I will not ask why you purchased a Dark Energy if you dislike it so much. ;)
perfectly good question to ask, about the Dark Energy. It came with The Magician and STM-012.
Unfortunately, if you like plastic nose cones, BT-55 is probably the worst body tube size for LPR enthusiasts.
As I've been doing some research I've come to this same conclusion. Lol. I will try the Estes 4 pack!!

Any ideas on the Dark Energy? I absolutely hate the way the nose cone and fins look
I personally like the look of the Estes Dark Energy, but then, I like weirdo rockets. That the fins appear to be doing the opposite of what you want for a fast, high flyer is right in my domain. I'm more of a "low and slow" flyer, because I've had some rockets that went up and never came back, so now I build them intentionally to not get that far away. But its your kit, have at it and do something original. BT-55 is a popular body tube. My suggestion is find a piece of 3" diameter tube and build a ring-fin rocket.

I personally like the look of the Estes Dark Energy, but then, I like weirdo rockets. That the fins appear to be doing the opposite of what you want for a fast, high flyer is right in my domain. I'm more of a "low and slow" flyer, because I've had some rockets that went up and never came back, so now I build them intentionally to not get that far away. But its your kit, have at it and do something original. BT-55 is a popular body tube. My suggestion is find a piece of 3" diameter tube and build a ring-fin rocket.
you can have the nosecone if you want it lol. I've scratched the build and I am using the parts to make my own rocket. I've started a thread on it in the scratch build section

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/my-first-rocket.176026/

Hey everyone. just thought I'd share a few photos of the rockets I currently have. I am a beginner so please, don't judge me too harshly. Any ideas on the Dark Energy? I absolutely hate the way the nose cone and fins look(besides the fins being broken), so I was thinking about using the BT55 body tube and motor mount and buying a NC and sheet of balsa and building my own using open rocket as a design aide. Thanks for taking a look!!
If you lose a rocket, that means you need to buy two more!

Its my Instagram account name. I used to build minibikes and I named my group The MiniTards.
h6tEoLw.gif

I agree that Balsa Machining is a great resource. They have a lot of nose cones to choose from. Take a look at their school rockets. I get everything I can from them.

Back