Estes Blue Sapphire BT55 Upscale Build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_at_it

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As I've said a number of times in the past, Estes has some really nice designs but they are almost always too small. The Blue Sapphire once again proved my point. My buddy ordered and received one of these kits so I was able to get my hands on everything to get templates and measurements. I immediately got to work on putting together parts for a BT55 upscale and I'm currently trying to source a nose cone for a 3" build. Anyone out there want to laser cut some fins from Plywood for a 3" build?

Parts List from left to Right.

BT55 Nose cone. This is available in the NC-55 nose cone bulk pack from Estes. EST3163
BT55 Body tube cut to 1.3"
BT55 Coupler. Approx. 2.5" long.
BT55 Main body tube cut to 17.35"
Basswood Fins. Cut as one piece from 1/8" sheet and papered with card stock. The top fin has had the exterior coated with finishing epoxy. The remaining fins will be coated as well.
BT50 Motor tube cut to 5".
BT50/55 Plywood upper centering ring.
BT50/55 Fiber lower centering ring.
Screw Eye for bulkhead.
Bulkhead cut (poorly) from 1/16 plywood.
Not pictured but will be used it the build. 300# Kevlar leader. Estes 24m motor mount. 1/4 Elastic Shock Cord.

5.jpg

Getting started on the motor mount. The outside of the motor tube was sanded where the rings and motor retainer will attach.

The centering rings and motor block have been sanded slightly for fitment.

7.jpg

Here we have the motor mount built. The motor block was inserted 3.5" into the motor tube to allow for 24mm E motors. The centering rings were attached with TBII wood glue and the motor retainer was sanded and attached using T88 epoxy. This is quickly becoming my new favorite epoxy. Especially if I need additional working time.

11.jpg

With the motor mount drying it's time to build the nose cone. The BT55 nose cone available from Estes does not have the shoulder that the original has. I'm simulating the shoulder by adding a section of BT55 tubing that was cut to 1.3". Once cured the seam will be filled so this section will appear as one piece.

First step was to cut off the bottom of the nose cone to allow room inside the tube for the coupler. The shoulder of the cone was then sanded with 100 grit and wiped clean with alcohol. The interior of the body tube was also sanded with 100 grit to allow the epoxy to soak into the fibers. These were attached using T88 epoxy and left to cure.

The coupler was then inserted using additional epoxy.

10.jpg
12.jpg

After allowing the epoxy to cure, the bulkhead was inserted and the screw eye attached using T88. At this time I also coated the outside of the coupler in epoxy for strength. This was heated to allow it to soak into the coupler. I let it sit for approx. 5 mins then wiped off the excess with a towel damp with alcohol.

13.jpg

All of this was left to cure over night. This morning I got up and inserted the motor mount into the main body tube.

14.jpg15.jpg

I'll be finishing up the coating on the outside of the fins with epoxy today then do a final sanding on them. Hoping to attach the fins tomorrow and primer on Thursday.

For your 3-inch nose cone, it's conical. Roll up a couple layers of card stock. Tip doesn't have to be sharp to match the slightly blunted balsa cone.

ETA: you could always go over the card stock with light epoxy/fiberglass if you want to beef it up.

Last edited:
For your 3-inch nose cone, it's conical. Roll up a couple layers of card stock. Tip doesn't have to be sharp to match the slightly blunted balsa cone.

If I cannot locate a 3" cone then I will need to make my own. I'd prefer to buy something already made but the only ones I've found so far are in the $80 range so that isn't happening.

Do you have a friend with a 3D printer?
Is there a Makerspace near you?
There are also 3D printing services online, all you need are the dimensions and they can do it for a lot less than $80.

Do you have a friend with a 3D printer?
Is there a Makerspace near you?
There are also 3D printing services online, all you need are the dimensions and they can do it for a lot less than $80.

Don't know anyone with a 3D printer at the moment but I know if a couple of online vendors that do 3D printing so one of them might be willing to do wip something up.

Don't know anyone with a 3D printer at the moment but I know if a couple of online vendors that do 3D printing so one of them might be willing to do wip something up.
I can do one. I just need a rocsim file of the original or a drawing showing sizes. Also will need more info on what tubing you are using.

Yesterday I managed to find some time to get the fins completed. Each fin was coated with T88 epoxy and let cure over night. I then sanded all edges to ensure the fins were flat and all the same size and shape. The root edge was sanded down to bare wood and the first 1/8" of the fin was sanded with 60 grit to give it some surface for the epoxy to adhere to.

I'll be attaching the fins today and hope to have this one in primer by tomorrow.

16.jpg

Sorry for the delay. Had to take a long weekend to deal with some work stuff out of town. Last left of with doing a little filler work on the fins and fillets to make everything smooth.

Today I wrapped up the sanding of the filler and just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit this afternoon to shoot on a couple of coats of primer.

20.jpg21.jpg

Finally making some progress on the paint work. Two coats of ACE brand gloss while on the main body and two coats of Krylon Gloss True Blue on the nose cone. Might do a third coat on the cone as it looks like I sprayed it a little dry.

Next comes the masking and painting of the fins.

24.jpg25.jpg

Very nice. I especially like the one piece fins. Why do you use a fiber lower centering ring ?

Last edited:
Very nice. I especially like the one piece fins. Why do you use a fiber lower centering ring ?

Weight saving. The fins on this thing are huge when compared to its length so the CP is pretty far forward. I also used Basswood for the fins and they are papered and epoxied so they are a tad bit heavy.

I want to knock off weight at the rear of the rocket where possible and honestly, the rear ring doesn't really offer anything structurally. This one will be at the launch on Sunday. Might not be finished but it will fly.

I printed a nose cone for 3-inch Loc for about $12 of filament. I printed it out of Translucent Blue PETG. I am hoping to not have to paint it.

Back