MY FIRST ROCKET

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This build is gonna be scrapped. I don't know enough yet to safely launch this rocket. I don't want it to go horizontal and become a missile hahaha, ive got to learn a bit more about stability. Sorry, guys.
As has been mentioned, do the swing test. If it still wants to swap ends and not fly straight then just whittle a little off the canards until it is stable. Keep up the good work!

Yes, exactly. What is the problem? I've been scratch building rockets since I got back into this hobby 9 months ago, and do you think I sim or even test my designs? Heck no! (Well, OK, I did the swing test on a few that I thought were on the edge of unstable).... But I do it all via guesswork, and my scratch builds fly as good if not better than kits.

What I am saying is: "Just do it" ala the Nike sneaker commercials. It's *never* going to be perfect on the first try and that's how you learn.
You're not going to go through this hobby on a single rocket, you're going to make dozens, each one slighter better than the one before it.

Time out! No need to throw the baby out with the bath-water...
I have to agree, completely.
Your bird without the canards has tail feathers that are much bigger than needed. It is OVER-stable, which isn't always a bad thing, just means don't launch it in winds over, say 5 mph. If you live in Amarillo or some other place that's usually windy, that's a problem, but maybe you have some good low wind days.

You added the canards, those will definitely reduce your overstability, maybe too much, here's where a swing test or Open Rocket can help you out.
OpenRocket especially. You can iterate the design using bigger canards and/or smaller main fins if you're overstable, or smaller canards, bigger tail fins, and/or nose weight if your not stable enough. Or change the overall length, longer to increase the stability, shorter to reduce it. Spend a few hours with OR, tweak this and twiddle that until you come out where you want to be. And don't let that process frustrate you, it's all part of the game, and for lots of us its a part of the fun.

As has been mentioned, do the swing test. If it still wants to swap ends and not fly straight then just whittle a little off the canards until it is stable. Keep up the good work!
Again, agreed, 99%. Once it's built and ready to swing test, those iterative design changes are done and you're not going to increase the main fin size or the overall length. Trimming back the canards is a good option, and so is nose weight (which is why only 99% agreement).

What I am saying is: "Just do it" ala the Nike sneaker commercials. It's *never* going to be perfect on the first try and that's how you learn.
You're not going to go through this hobby on a single rocket, you're going to make dozens, each one slighter better than the one before it.
Hmm, my agreement drops to 50%. I'm known to be very cautious, a Nervous Nelly trying hard not to be a Debby Downer. Sure, you can just launch an unsimulated, untested rocket and hope for the best. You're likely to experience bad things and very unlikely to experience very bad things. Still, I consider the design iterations in silico to be really valuable, and the swing test also in cases where you have doubts. The more experience you gain the more reasonable "just do it" becomes; since you seem to be uncertain due to not having a lot of experience, "Just sim it".
------------------------
The bottom line message is that there's a learning process for designing one's own, it's accomplished by doing, and by not being discouraged when it takes a while. As much as I'm a fan of design by simulation, it's not the only way. And whatever way you choose, have faith in yourself to reach the goal one way or another. And remember, there's lots of help available (right here). So be British: keep calm and carry on.

Back