My First DD Launch!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow you recognized it! It really is a nice location; very temperate and pretty low winds.
Yes, I used to fly with DART whenever I could.

What flight computer did you fly, @tg08 ?

I did MOST of my early AltAcc firmware testing at FI because it was so convenient from Imperial Beach and I could fly MPR rockets more frequently at FI than I could fly HPR at Ocotillo.

-- kjh( :) fly more, hike less :) )

Yes, I used to fly with DART whenever I could.

What flight computer did you fly, @tg08 ?

I did MOST of my early AltAcc firmware testing at FI because it was so convenient from Imperial Beach and I could fly MPR rockets more frequently at FI than I could fly HPR at Ocotillo.

-- kjh( :) fly more, hike less :) )
I flew an Altus Metrum Easymini, its all I could fit in that tiny payload bay. I'm hoping I can take my rockets to Tripoli and get my L1 cert soon.

I flew an Altus Metrum Easymini, its all I could fit in that tiny payload bay. I'm hoping I can take my rockets to Tripoli and get my L1 cert soon.
Congratulations! IMO, first electronic deploy is a more significant and meaningful milestone than L1, and electronic dual deployment even more so. It also means you'll more likely nail L1 when you go for it.

Congratulations! IMO, first electronic deploy is a more significant and meaningful milestone than L1, and electronic dual deployment even more so. It also means you'll more likely nail L1 when you go for it.
I kind of agree, I think they are equally significant to me. A lot of guys don't even go to or do DD even for L2. I think doing it like this, with smaller stuff definitely gives you can edge when it comes to your L3 cert. I see where a lot of guys replace DD with the chute release, they are cool but if your going all the way its a must. Yes, congratulations!!

I kind of agree, I think they are equally significant to me. A lot of guys don't even go to or do DD even for L2. I think doing it like this, with smaller stuff definitely gives you can edge when it comes to your L3 cert. I see where a lot of guys replace DD with the chute release, they are cool but if your going all the way its a must. Yes, congratulations!!
I'm a big advocate for learning new things on the smallest, lowest-enegy scale that's feasible. Better IMO to learn DD on mid-power, where anything that goes wrong will be less expensive and lower energy (hence likely safer) than with chunky, powerful L2 rockets with $100-200 motors where most people seem to learn it.

I agree.

I run a lot of DD on mid power rockets.
I agree too !

But I am also learning that Dual Deploy in a small MPR is actually more difficult than it is in a relatively roomy HPR.

Keep at it @tg08 !

Waiting for that main on a Dual Deploy flight still gets my pulse rate going every time I launch :)

-- kjh

I agree too !

But I am also learning that Dual Deploy in a small MPR is actually more difficult than it is in a relatively roomy HPR.

Keep at it @tg08 !

Waiting for that main on a Dual Deploy flight still gets my pulse rate going every time I launch :)

-- kjh

Smallest I've done it in is a bt-70 tube. Actually it was my first DD build.

No interest in going smaller....

I know a few will yell at the old guy ; but today I like the JL Chute release then Dual Deploy. Even on a I-65P my LOC ISP's payload bay had the Strato Logger it it to fire the apogee charge, pulling the main out wrapped in the release. Then the release let the chute go.

I've been moving away from DD as I have been downsizing my rockets in my retired years.

I agree with both of these. 4" rockets are the sweet spot for me where I can reach my arm down the tube but everything is pretty manageable. My butt clenches until both events have occurred in every DD flight I've done (I'm only 5 DD flights in, so maybe I'll get calmer at some point).

I had a successful test at the beginning of the school year but it took all summer because I had to make my own charges and such, how did you do it?

I agree with both of these. 4" rockets are the sweet spot for me where I can reach my arm down the tube but everything is pretty manageable. My butt clenches until both events have occurred in every DD flight I've done (I'm only 5 DD flights in, so maybe I'll get calmer at some point).
Before this year when I RE-BAR'd, the smallest diameter I've ever dual deployed was a 1.9 inch diameter Vulcanite Scale Model with an AltAcc.

This worked great because the AltAcc fit just nicely in a 5-inch section of Totally Tubular CPL-1.88"-34" with a pair of 4-40 threaded rods.

Now I am flying the Blue Raven with a mag switch and I am trying to work my way down to a BT-50 ...

My AV-Bay mostly works but I recently suffered a brown-out in a BT-55 rocket when the streamer was ejected and the main did not deploy and it landed on an asphalt road ... Ouch ...

I am still working on designs, but the more I I've messed with it, the more I am coming to realize that I can't do any better than @Adrian A's Blue Raven AV-Bays ...

I just need more practice with my nut-driver :)

-- kjh

I had a successful test at the beginning of the school year but it took all summer because I had to make my own charges and such, how did you do it?
I used apogee components ejection canisters, but you could a pvc pipe and duct tape over the top to hold the BP in.

I used apogee components ejection canisters, but you could a pvc pipe and duct tape over the top to hold the BP in.
What igniter/Emach?
I used a vinyl tube with a normal igniter hot glued in you add the BP on top and hold it in with dog barf.

Latest posts

Back