Battle of the rockets deployable sensor payload recovery system

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeketrimmer

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I could encorporate helicopter recovery into my battle of the rockets deployable payload rocket? I am just using parachute as of test launches, but the regulations state that helicopter recovery is required. I ls there a specific kit i could use? It needs to deploy via motor ejection. We only have the month of February for pre cdr launches and I need a kit within that time

Does anyone know how I could encorporate helicopter recovery into my battle of the rockets deployable payload rocket? I am just using parachute as of test launches, but the regulations state that helicopter recovery is required. I ls there a specific kit i could use? It needs to deploy via motor ejection. We only have the month of February for pre cdr launches and I need a kit within that time

You can use the Search feature on this forum for "helicopter recovery".

But if your rocket and payload are already built, you may have limited solutions.

You may want to post your design and build on the forum; sketches & photos.
That way maybe someone can offer more effective help.

Do you have an advisor or mentor involved in this?

Does it say the entire rocket must use helicopter recovery? Or just the nose cone and payload. You might want to look at the Estes "Sky Twister" design. If i recall correctly it's a BT-56 based rocket, which is just every so slightly larger than Bt-55. Anyway, you should be able to fit a 29mm motor in that. If I'm not mistaken it separates into 2 pieces and the nose cones somes down under helicopter recovery while the launch vehicles come down on either a streamer or parachute. This is from memory. I had one back in the day, but I'm not totally sure now.

Also do the rules say the rocket must be entirely scratch built or can it be sort of a kit bash, where you use existing parts from kits to create a modified design? If the later is possible and it were me, I'd pick up a sky twister and modify it to suit my needs. If you only have a month, this might be a wiser choice that reinventing the wheel.

Does it say the entire rocket must use helicopter recovery? Or just the nose cone and payload. You might want to look at the Estes "Sky Twister" design. If i recall correctly it's a BT-56 based rocket, which is just every so slightly larger than Bt-55. Anyway, you should be able to fit a 29mm motor in that. If I'm not mistaken it separates into 2 pieces and the nose cones somes down under helicopter recovery while the launch vehicles come down on either a streamer or parachute. This is from memory. I had one back in the day, but I'm not totally sure now.

Also do the rules say the rocket must be entirely scratch built or can it be sort of a kit bash, where you use existing parts from kits to create a modified design? If the later is possible and it were me, I'd pick up a sky twister and modify it to suit my needs. If you only have a month, this might be a wiser choice that reinventing the wheel.
Must be completely scratch based. Also is 3in body tube

Back