I know it looks dumb, but can i do this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeketrimmer

Reaction score
This is for my mid power competition rocket that requires a helicopter recovery mechanism for the payload. the payload is contained within the nosecone which deploys from the airframe at apogee. I had an idea for using cantilevered canards as the helicopter recovery, but I feel like it might cause some serious drag and reduce stability. The rockets airframe is about 40 cm, it uses 4 7cm elliptical fins. The stability in the OR simulation is around 3 cal. And the entire rocket without nose cone canards weighs around 600g. The airframe is cardboard and the nosecone is 3d printed with around 100g of filament. Would my idea of cantilevered canards work?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223-194003_Opera.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223-194003_Opera.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240224_094707.jpg
    20240224_094707.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Interesting design...I don't think it would reduce stability as much as it's going to cause you to lose massive amounts of altitude because of the spinning under thrust. Only way to know for sure is to try it!

Interesting design...I don't think it would reduce stability as much as it's going to cause you to lose massive amounts of altitude because of the spinning under thrust. Only way to know for sure is to try it!
Im going to do stability calculations first before it goes rouge on a g motor

Im going to do stability calculations first before it goes rouge on a g motor
Understandable. You can make the design stable in many ways - adding length, nose weight, adjusting rear fin size.

How about scaling this up to a G?​

“Two fin, spin stabilized with "heli-boink" recovery”​

The rocket IS the payload bay…

Attachments

• IMG_5567.jpeg
    IMG_5567.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 0
At ejection, if the nose cone and payload sub-assembly is stable, it will go ballistic and auger into the ground.

If it's not stable... the nose cone and payload sub-assembly will tumble recovery, not helicopter recover.

Can you use a drogue chute with a swivel to slow down the nose cone?

At ejection, if the nose cone and payload sub-assembly is stable, it will go ballistic and auger into the ground.

If it's not stable... the nose cone and payload sub-assembly will tumble recovery, not helicopter recover.

Can you use a drogue chute with a swivel to slow down the nose cone?
I was planning on using a drogue, I haven't looked at the rules yet

Back