My dog is insane

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KermieD

Reaction score
This year, just north of town on Hwy 76, there's a fireworks shop that doesn't just sell fountains and stuff. It sells the stuff that shoots in the air and makes a really big bang. Wheeee!!!

Now, Baron (the aforementioned dog in the title) has been somewhat skittish the last couple of weeks. He doesn't like fireworks. He starts barking and running around the house. When he's outside and they go off, he's a bit better though.

Now, my natural assumption is that he needs to be "socialized" towards fireworks. I think he just needs to see them in order to know that all is well and it seems like that's the right tack since he's a lot better when he's outside while the neighbors are lighting stuff off.

So, a quick hop down the road, 2 bricks of firecrackers, a couple gross of bottle rockets, a couple of multishot cakes, 2 packs of candles and 2 mortar tubes with 16 rounds later (heck, it was buy one, get the 2nd for 99 cents..I'm a sucker for that kind of deal), and socialization class is about to begin.

Now, to refresh, my dog is a serial killer. He's a sweetheart, but if it's small and it moves, it's lunch. He's up to 2 rabbits and 2 frogs already this summer (needless to say I take the latter two rather personally, but this is a different story). He darn near added 4 adults and a child to that resume this evening.

You see, apparently with small moving things, he is unsocializable.

Enclosed, please find the recipe for disaster: 1 bottle of recently emptied Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor (widemouth), as many bottle rockets as will fit in said bottle (rough guess is about 2 or 3 dozen), a lit cigarette and an old lid to a schooldesk on the ground to keep everything level and moderately safe (insert canned laugh track here). Generally, with such densely packed rockets, if you keep them packed into the bottle roughly aligned as they were in the package, you can set off a considerable number of them via a chain reaction by lighting only a few with the cigarette. In this instance it works famously.

Step 1: Cram bottle rockets into widemouth beer bottle

Step 2: Light cigarette and take to launch site.

Step 3: Use cigarette to light 3-5 wicks before you have to back off just in time to not lose an eye from the first one going off.

Step 4: Sit back and watch the chain reac...

BARON, NO!!!!

Revised Step 4: Run like you've never run before from rabid dog who is now running laps around the yard with a wide-mouth bottle of Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor stuffed with bottle rockets that are lighting each other off like the plutonium rods at Chernobyl and spewing faster and wilder than I did with the sour milk episode described a month and a half ago.

I cannot believe that

A: The dog didn't get hurt.

B: No people got hurt

C: All property appears to be intact (it was dark however), and, most importantly

D: I'm typing this while still wearing the same underpants that I had on at the time of the incident.

After that, we kept the dog inside while shooting off fireworks. When I get a chance, I'll take a picture of the inside of the back door as it appears after that event (pictures to follow on that later...now the house is even upset).

If anyone can get here, I have some bottle rockets, some mini roman candles, a bunch of firecrackers, a 25 shot mini-cake and about 12 rounds yet for the mortars. You're not allowed to light any of them here.

Here's the inside of the door after making sure the dog couldn't recreate the Aegis missile ship impression:

Barondoor1.jpg

Of course, an entire evening of trying to save the free world of the lillypad from the evil Al Qaeda fireworks display is tough work. This has been his steady alert position waiting for the next attack:

baronsdayafter.jpg

That's pretty funny. Though you got lucky with no injuries. I always keep my cats stuffed into a room with the windows closed when we let off fireworks. They do NOT like the noise.

That's, sadly, funny! Aw comeon, and who are you trying to kid? Are you trying to convince us that, the sweet puppy in the photo is responsible for that type of damage? :)

We had a beagle once, who into her tenth year always looked like and was always thought of us a pup - until you left her alone; then she was an absolute terror.

Our Springer Spaniel used to crawl into the bathtub during the 4th and not come out until next morning...I think they have a sixth sense about things as he used to do the same for bad storms.

Kermie, I think the pup did get his share of damage...didn't his snout used to be tan like his coat???!!!:eek:

:)

Carl

Our black lab is terrified of loud bangs, from fireworks, guns and thunder. This weekend was two out of three with fireworks and thunder storms, so he spent a lot of time hiding in the basement laundry room and howling at the noise.

Joe W

Absolutely hilarious.... (cause of no injuries - we can laugh)

You had me laughing out loud, so I had to read your post to the others in the room, two of my sons and a friend over visiting.

You wrote it up well Kermie, do you write for a living?

Let this be a reminder to all of us who are going to be shooting fireworks this evening and tomorrow - stay safe, tape or glue your cakes down (Saturday night my neighbor learned this lesson as one tipped and shot sideways - no injuries again fortunately) Fireworks are VERY safe if a few precautions are followed.

Help keep 'em legal in your states - be safe! (I live in NY - who thinks anything fun is evil.) But I will be a shooting tonight!

-= Frank =-

My Jack Russel Terrier "attacks" any and all fireworks!

He may have some scars under his facial hair.

Model rocket??? Totally OUT OF THE QUESTION around him!

He has a fit when I turn on my Estes Command Control and the peeper goes off.

As for wild animals...they just have to learn to stay OUT of his yard!

He's only 20# and 10 years old. He currently has too many kills under his belt for me to count, including one blue heron, one Racoon (that freaked me out!) numerous rabbits squirrels, blue jays, snakes...and on and on and on...

And a few I've secretly buried.:rolleyes:

And I have the other extreme. A Shetland Sheepdog that I bring to a launch and when a K555 Skid leaves the rail, his only reaction is:

"...So? Wake me when the 4 grain 6" EX motors come out."

Sometimes at a launch I have to poke him with a stick to see if he is still alive.

It's a situational specific behavior and is not a part of his normal condition. It's very similar to the reaction of many dogs to thunderstorms except for one thing. He's half chow-chow. Chows are known for fear agression and that is his reaction to the extreme fear of the fireworks as opposed to the behavior of hiding under the bed as most dogs with fears of this nature exhibit.

This goes waaay beyond a spray bottle, as the reaction to the fireworks is far greater than the reaction to the spray bottle. In order to cure a dog of a reaction of this nature, you have to be able to distract him from the fixation to reward them for acknowledging the distraction and there is very little that will distract a dog from a fixation on this level.

I don't do it for a living, but I've trained 2 Great Danes, a black lab, an English bulldog and a golden retriever from puppyhood, so I'm not new to weaning dogs off of unwanted behaviors (try getting a Great Dane who hates other dogs to take a civilized walk). Not having thousands of dollars to toss at fireworks to condition him to get rid of this one, though, I'll just refrain from shooting my own off and work with him as best I can for the 2 weeks a year that we have the issue.

Personally, I think he is a whacko because he has to live with you.

I mean it would drive me off the deep end!

:p

I have a little more respect for my pet than to do such idiotic things to or around him . most animals will never become acustomed to fireworks . not to mention,the loss of an eye would make this a very unfunny episode.. a dog running around with a glass bottle full of lit fireworks .. man,,,thats real responsible. am I missing a point here?

The point is that it was the first time he's been around them so I had no idea the reaction was going to be that extreme. I have had other dogs that have become acclimated to fireworks and come to enjoy the time with the family outside launching them. Also, as mentioned before, now that I *do* know the reaction is this extreme, we won't be launching fireworks with him. Just relax a little, eh?

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. The black lab cowers in the basement bathroom and howls when fireworks are going off, while the mutt (german Shepherd/collie mix) sits out by whoever is viewing and sleeps or watches in a bored manner. One cat hides under our bed while the other one sits on the nearest high perch and watches.

Joe W

Ok ,I had my rant,..thanks for keeping your composure
relaxed now

Originally posted by KermieD
The point is that it was the first time he's been around them so I had no idea the reaction was going to be that extreme. I have had other dogs that have become acclimated to fireworks and come to enjoy the time with the family outside launching them. Also, as mentioned before, now that I *do* know the reaction is this extreme, we won't be launching fireworks with him. Just relax a little, eh?

There was a blurb in our newspaper that said the days surrounding the 4th are the busiest days of the year for the animal shelter in our area due to so many pets taking off/breaking loose due to fireworks.

We have a 3 month old kitten who gets really frightened by noises like lawnmowers, cars whizzing by, etc. so I expected him to be pretty worked up. But I was home with the flu and we just hung out in the recliner together and watched a movie. Interestingly indoor noises that are much louder and/or closer (such as the mixer, vacuum, kids fighting hardly phase him.

Back