Motor Hardware Sold out Everywhere!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UberSquid

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into rocketry after a couple years off. (Local launches pretty much stopped so no place to play but now there is more activity in the local clubs) Decided to go for L1 this year but when I started looking around for 38mm motor casings, everyone is sold out! It seems that stock of one shot motors is low also. I've tried to search google to see if there are production problems but I'm coming up short other than an announcement from CTI that they are back up to full production. (Still can't find their hardware)

Just bought an Aerotech 38-240 casing at Apogee a couple of weeks ago after I borrowed a set for an L-1. The H130W reload is hazmat free unlike CTI. Most of Loki reloads are hazmat free up to I reloads. You pay more for an Aerotech or Loki casing but the reloads and quality are there. You do have to assemble the motor by hand following instructions unlike the easy mode CTI reloads where those drop and screw you basically start with all the pieces in the other casings.

Casings seem to be available but everyone is out of closures. This is my first foray into 38mm.
Probably going to go CTI and just take the hit on the shipping since I can at least get hardware...

Is Aerotech just focusing more on their disposable motor line? Not that it's a bad deal. The price is close enough and I could see that from a liability standpoint they would be better off not having us assemble reloads.

Last edited:
Is Aerotech just focusing more on their disposable motor line? Not that it's a bad deal. The price is close enough and I could see that from a liability standpoint they would be better off not having us assemble reloads.
Aerotech is having a problem sourcing aluminum. Been pretty tough since Monster & Rouse Tech are gone.

Casings seem to be available but everyone is out of closures. This is my first foray into 38mm.
Probably going to go CTI and just take the hit on the shipping since I can at least get hardware...

Look at Loki. You will pay a more for the case, but many of the 38 mm reloads ship without hazmat.

(One more thing, I just wanted to make sure you know that you don't need a rear closure for CTI 38 mm.)

Look at Loki. You will pay a more for the case, but many of the 38 mm reloads ship without hazmat.

(One more thing, I just wanted to make sure you know that you don't need a rear closure for CTI 38 mm.)

That was the main reason I was looking at the CTI 38s. You can't seem to get hardware for Aerotech anywhere right now without at least a 6 week lead time.

I've been looking at the Loki motors. I like the looks of their H100. And with standard shipping, that makes up for the difference in case price pretty quick. Think I'll be placing my order today!

Thanks to everyone for their input

You will find assembling your own motors is a rewarding experience. It’s not as quick as CTI but there is a fun side to it. Find a quiet clean room. It allows you to inspect every component for any defects before you fly it too. Many people remark not having problems with motors they assembled. For cleanup baby wipes, a eye glasses flat head screwdriver, or hot and soapy water work well if you end up waiting.

How well do the Loki graphite nozzles hold up?
They hold up well to propellant burn, but be careful not to bang them around. Graphite is graphite. I often have to use a small screwdriver or knife to clean them after a flight, as they tend to crust over. This is not unique to Loki, however.

I just can`t understand how a company can keep making reloads and have no hardware for the reloads. I am sure glad Chevy dosen`t sell a car but says you can take the car but you can`t drive it because it has no motor.

A way to mitigate Hazmat is to buy from vendor onsite. I mainly fly cesaroni and that's how I avoid it

I just can`t understand how a company can keep making reloads and have no hardware for the reloads. I am sure glad Chevy dosen`t sell a car but says you can take the car but you can`t drive it because it has no motor.
I haven't bought new hardware in a few years so all I need (and I am sure many others) is propellant!

I just bought a new casing and closures weeks ago. Now they are sold out. So they are moving what they make. They aren’t producing enough fast enough to meet market demand.

Out of three launches I’ve been too there was only one out West in Utah at UROC with an actual motor vendor for Aerotech. Virginia VAST and South Carolina ROSCO lacked vendors. You simply can’t depend on a motor vendor always. Even if the vendor is there what chances are he/she has what you want in stock? I end up paying a haz fee sometimes depending on the motor types and manufacturer then bringing what I bought. I’m from Tennessee where they closed down a HPR site.

Ummm.... 38 CTI don't have separate closures, they come with each reload and get thrown out after using. {phenolic with nozzle built in]
You must be careful & never force it in or cross thread the plastic threads, if need be, use a spacer to push grains & liner into position, then screw nozzle/closure on.
It will be clear first time you see one.
All other cases they make have a re-usable metal rear closure....it's a long story, basically the first loads they made , way back when were 38's and that's just the way they did it.
They have not changed that for common sense reasons.....vendors would need to stock double inventory....some for old hardware & some for new metal closer version.
Now you know the "rest of the story" lol

It costs $56 to FedEx Ground hazmat ship a CTI Pro 24-6G L-1 G-145 reload costing a mere $22. I don’t see too many 24mm rockets lol. You can buy an RMS 38-240 H130W by Aerotech for $31 and the posts office labels it a toy rocket motor rather than the big scary orange 1.4C explosive label for postal service rates of $8.56. Oh and it’s nice to not have a signature required.

Granted when you get to J motors hazmat usually applies even in Loki motors which have the best no hazmat options to I motors.

Last edited:
Ummm.... 38 CTI don't have separate closures, they come with each reload and get thrown out after using. {phenolic with nozzle built in]
You must be careful & never force it in or cross thread the plastic threads, if need be, use a spacer to push grains & liner into position, then screw nozzle/closure on.
It will be clear first time you see one.
All other cases they make have a re-usable metal rear closure....it's a long story, basically the first loads they made , way back when were 38's and that's just the way they did it.
They have not changed that for common sense reasons.....vendors would need to stock double inventory....some for old hardware & some for new metal closer version.
Now you know the "rest of the story" lol

I was referring to Aerotech for the closures. Well aware of the CTI setup. The reason I was leaning toward CTI in the first place was because they were the only brand that I could find all the hardware in stock for.

However after being pointed in the direction of Loki, I think I'll be going with them instead.

BuyRocketMotors has Aerotech closures and cases in stock. They also have a sale in rocket motors.

Back