Motor Hardware Sold out Everywhere!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squid, you are going to pay haz on AT 38mm motors as well so that's not a deciding factor. The choice between CTI and AT is not as big a deal as most make it out to be. It's really a matter of which one you are going to buy first. You will most likely own both. Personally I'm not a fan of the CTI 38mm motors due to the real closure but I love their 29mm stuff. The versatility of the grain spacers is a huge deal when you first start out as it helps reduce starting cost. Get a 3 grain case and you have essentially three cases. That's cool.

In my book AT has better motors and I like the cases better. "Better" to me means AT white is prettier than the CTI whites. Man, talk about a pretty flame! The cases are a work of art, they are just really cool and are fun as heck to load. Look at all those fiddly little pieces to put together.

Loki is a great alternative if you have a good attention to detail an aren't incredibly anal about motor cleanliness. I abhor cleaning the nozzles and can't stress that enough. It only really matters if you have to have a clean nozzle and my OCD mandates that I do. The draw to Scott's motors are two fold. One is PERFORMANCE! Nothing hits like a Loki white. When you absolutely have to crush it, crush it with a Loki white. The other draw is most of their 38mm ships haz free and that may be a huge pull for you. Downsides? Only a couple. Snap ring cases aren't as forgiving as threaded cases. They aren't impossible but you do have to be a little more careful with them. I have seen more than one ruined rocket because the flyer did not ensure the forward snap ring was seated correctly and romaned candled their rockets on the pad. Another issue is product supply can be hit or miss as Scott is a one man show. Sometimes you just really want a red load and all you can get is a white or vice versa.

Most will advise to buy what is on site and that's a solid plan providing you have a motor vendor on site. Of the last few launches I have been to that wasn't the case (hehehe, case) so ordering your motors in advance is a must. Nothing is worse than showing up to a launch expecting to buy a motor and you are sidelined. Good luck with what ever dip you decide, can't really go wrong. And as far as everything I just said, there will be 30 guys rushing to point out the one exception to what ever I said because rockets.

IMO
24 - CTI
29 - CTI & AT
38 - AT & L
54 + Everyone

I certainly wish AT would revisit longer 18's & 24's; L would have enough spare time to revisit 29's ( Scott could totally bring back a 29mm J if it made sense logistically ); and CTI could cert their 38mm loads in hardware that's not dumb.

But it's still a pretty exciting lineup!

Last I spoke to Scott, he was not even remotely interested in a run of 29's. I would put my nozzle bias on the back burner for a 29mm J. Yes sir I believe I would do just that. The thought of a very long 38mm body tubed rocket with a 29mm J is enough to make me me giddy as a school girl.

This is true....

AT and Loki have multiple no hazmat loads in 38... Whoever said you had to pay hazmat with AT is incorrect for I180 and H130W.

I was referring to Aerotech for the closures. Well aware of the CTI setup. The reason I was leaning toward CTI in the first place was because they were the only brand that I could find all the hardware in stock for.

However after being pointed in the direction of Loki, I think I'll be going with them instead.

Grab you a Loki 38/240 case and do your level 1 flight with the Loki H144 Loki White. Nice roar and smoke, best in that size. 38/120 is nice for G motors. 2 packs and ship Hazmat free. Just don't forget starters.
The majority of my hardware is Aerotech because I picked it up used for steep discounts. Our vendor is Chris Short and he keeps us in the loop as to when/if he'll be available to attend. If he can't make it we do a group order and have it sent to our prefect and split the Hazmat.
I have two CTI cases which I've never flown. One is the Pro38 1 grain, just a bit pricey per reload especially since I have the Loki 38/120, but the CTI offers way more variety. The other is a Pro54 5 grain which offers the cheapest reloads in that size. Hope to fly it this weekend.
As for the Loki nozzles. I was told you will either lose it or break it before it wears out. Lol. Was he joking? No clue, no more than I fly though, it seems reasonable.

Back