More Red Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks great John!! I like seeing the detail pics.

I will be 'lanscaping' the foam today, and giving it a painted undercoat. This will be followed by 'flocking' with model RR shredded foam ground cover.

I believe that I will make custom igniters that will feed below the base. My plan is to solder two 22Ga wires to the igniter, each about 6" long and feeding through the base I will then attach the regular igniter clips to these wires under the base for launch.

"I believe that I will make custom igniters that will feed below the base. My plan is to solder two 22Ga wires to the igniter, each about 6" long and feeding through the base I will then attach the regular igniter clips to these wires under the base for launch. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sound good Fred,
I'm going to camouflage the removal clips & wires to lay under the model body at about a 45 degree angle between the rear and right side barrels, slideing the two 22gage or smaller wires though an "ole hollow log" resting under the shrubs also locatede on the right side of the base. With the clip and bear nichrome under the model they should be less noticable while giving me a clear shot a lowereing the model onto the igniter loop. Because the 30gage bare nichorme is so small to start with I decided being able to easily remove the clips from the launcher would be FAR easier than trying to attach a new igniter to the clips with in place. These connections are still a work in progress, Hope to have at least one pic of the connection in the next day or two.

heres another shot of the Vent tube base assemble from above, the wad of tape in the center is the 1/4-20 threaded insert for tripod attachments. The tape is covering a machine screw from removal after the epoxy base sets up a pocket of the tripod attachment screw. One of those little details yea need to think about at the beginning of a project;)

Looking good!!

I just gave the base a lanscaping job (nothing major) with a stanley surform, and a coat of acrylic brown/green/grey undercoat paint. I was not please with th seams in the foam, so I think I will fill them a bit more ince the paint is dry, then I will flock the base.....

one more DRM micro tower pic I thought you might like to see

Fred
Don't I remember you being a Scout or Scout leader? I'm both..Just wondering how many of these signal Towers you and your Scouts lashed together over the years:D I was tempted but restrained myself from using thread to apply square and diagonal lashings to the tower...we do sometimes get rather carried away in our modeling don't we:):)

Guy's I had a great night last night... got the last couple Added details finished (working plunger box and wires, old hollow log & shrubs, camoed micro-clips and wires, and application of the decals to both season Micro Models. thought about adding a manhole cover leaning against one of the barrels but decided against it. Can't wait to get it out to the field the 13th...Man I'm gonna have to get regular 800 speed film to try to catch a lift-off or 2:)
Heres a couple pics of the added detail and a final Diorama overall pic.

and the complete picture:D

I posted some 300dpi pics, and consturction photo pages in my yahoo briefcase. Hope this is the correct link, it's kind of long

https://briefcase.yahoo.com/mrclust... a first attempt at linking to my briefcase:)

Micromister wrote:

"Fred
Don't I remember you being a Scout or Scout leader? I'm both..Just wondering how many of these signal Towers you and your Scouts lashed together over the years"

Well, I was never a leader, but I was a Scout, and I also have been an active member of several American Revolutionary War 'Living History' groups since I was 10.

I have lashed a few things together in my day... have camped in primitive style with no floor in the tent, no sleeping bag, no refrigerated food, etc. I have also built more than a few shelters from branches etc... and caught my share of poison ivy and water-borne intestinal afflictions :eek:

Yes, the temptation to alter this scene has been very strong.... lashings, additional details... I have even scaled out the correct size for figures for this 'diorama'.... but I have decided not to alter it any, and am working to get this 'just right' as per the picture....

Maybe we can get an article in Sprocketry!?!?

BTW: Applied 2nd coat of terrain paint this morning... the weather is really damp today, so I started up the de-humidifier to try to dry the paint more quickly. I would like to get the flocking done today, and start on painting the tower.

Fred

Originally posted by astronboy

Yes, the temptation to alter this scene has been very strong.... lashings, additional details... I have even scaled out the correct size for figures for this 'diorama'.... but I have decided not to alter it any, and am working to get this 'just right' as per the picture....

Maybe we can get an article in Sprocketry!?!?

Aw Gee Fred.. here we have to part way's a little, I can't just copy the picture... First it's black and white so we have no idea what the scene actually looked like. More important, The Conductors don't have the great old works of music played en-Rote(sp),"exactly as written", nor do painter duplicate Old masters art exactly. As Zee Arr-Teest (in my most frenchish voice) I wouldn't dream of simply coping the origial work.. I can't stand seeing all those Clone kits painted EXACTLY like the Estes or whoever's package cover panel. Express yourself!! within reason. I've done just that.. adding a few small additions to make the Scene a little different and interesting. Since we're using our Dio's as Launchers " Very large departure for the original static display" do what ya want while keeping with the spirit of the scene. Embellishments are a good thing, especially if tastfully done:D

John,

This is one of the great things about model rocketry..... EVERYONE builds it their own way. Even when folks try to copy the exect catalog pic or 'prototype' design, it is always different somehow.

I have a VERY tough time following rocket instructions. I generally read them to decide what I will change!! (Esp with recovery systems!!)

From my viewpoint, I KNOW that I cannot duplicate the scene exactly for the reasons you mentioned. But I want to keep the vintage 'kooky' flavor as, well, vintage and kooky as possible.

Veeery Interestink!!

I am still toying with various ideas.... but have gone 'bone stock' so far since that will allow me the greatest flexibility for any changes I may decide to make.

In the real world, I just picked up come spraypaint, and will paint the tower today. Tonight I plan on making the tower details: Windlass, flagpole, etc, and working on the launch barrels....

Rot Max, Heraus !!

Fred

Fred

apologies Astron! Hadn't intented that previous post to come off sounding like a dictator... just trying to get the readers out here to loosen up a little:D Be a little more creative..sorry my bad, it's that nasty artsy/fartsy guy in me... the evil twin Nhoj:)

Build 7 fly em...We'll make more!

Let me throw in my .02 worth....

Micromister,
I think you've taken rocketry to another level. I never would have even thought about making a diorama display like that. Awesome job, very impressed!!

Hey, no offence received!!

I have such an engineer/historian streak that sometimes it is hard for me to 'bend the rules' and change a paint job!!

Anyway, I have continued work on the Red Max launch pad. I gave the tower a quick n dirty 3 color camo paint job, and flocked the base. Today I will vaccuum off the flocking that did not stick.

Then, I will need to build the tower detail... the winch and stuff.

Oh yeah, I will need to build the rocket!! The rocket I have been using in these pics is my original 1970's Red Max.

Lookin good Fred! What's the overall height of the Tower including the winchworks?

the Micro overall diorama is 5" x 8" x 11" Model bodies are .448" 10.5mm.
I've started a carring case for the model, basic fabrication is done, but I haven't covered the Foamcore outer shell, I think it's going to have red metalflake vinyl with a large skull decal on the back, and Top Secret whte decals on both sides, .063 clear lexan lift out front cover. Overall the carrier/cabinet measures 9.25" wide x 12" high x 6.25" deep.

My base is 16" x 24 ". The landscaping is 2" high, and there are 3" brases underneath. The base is bolted to a 36" tall tripod for launch stability.

The tower without winch, is 21" high, an 8" square at the bottom, and a 6" square at the top.

I have not yet planned the winch, I am going by eye, but my guess is that it will be another 6" tall.

Howdy DRMaxers:
I mentioned earlier the overall micro scene is only 5" x 8" x 11" with models that are .448"(10.5mm) in dia. by 4-9/16" long.
It was mentioned to me at our Rocket club meeting that the micro-maxx scene "looks so much larger in the photos". and a couple folks suggested I take a picture with a standard size DRM beside the micro launcher. so here it is, If you like to see it in 300dpi I'll have it in my yahoo briefcase in the DRM launcher file as noted earlier. here a 2 pic page.
Keep everything you have two of crossed for next weekend, March, 13th... We have a Sport launch/ section meet scheduled, I'll be flying these DRM's and a batch of other micro Scales if the weather cooperates:) I'll use my 35mm to attempt to get some lift off shots for the micro-diorama launcher.
How do you think a micro nike-smoke, Nike-apache, or bull pup will look in this scene... a little bizzar i'm think'in!

I never had a Der Red Max when I was a kid. So with you guys biulding your mini's and maxi's, Upscales and downscales, diorama's of the pic on the instructions. I just built my first Max.

It is your basic Max...with a twist. I call it "Max2 Der Max". It's still naked and needs to be balanced out. I also need to find someone who can get me some decals...hint hint. I'll be in contact with you again Fred.

So here it is...for your Max viewing pleasure...Max2 Der Max:D

Very nice!
I staged a Max many years back, I may have an old b&w from my "first fleet" box of photos. Mine had larger booster fins set up for D12-0 (D13 back than) to an 18mm motor sustainer...As I recall the first flight was a D13-0/B6-6.....I Never Saw the sustainer again:( Expect a very long walk to get a 2Max back It should SCREAM! :D Very Cool!
Do you have access to a printer? if so I can forward you the full size decal layout or you can get them from the Jim-z site. the trick is several of the decals have a white background. Tango-Poppa or Jim-z. I believe have both have the DRM decals as a standard.

As a kid, I did not have a DRM, but my brother did. When he built it, we did not have any red or black spray paint, so he used what we had at the time. The body is blue, and the nosecone is flourescent green!! He cut the decals to remove the 'Red' and he just had Der Max.

The best part is.... this rocket survived the dreaded '10-15 years with the parents' and he still flies it!! I will try to get a pic soon...

The following handwritten, satirical super secret letter was found stuffed inside a factory sealed early Citation Red Max kit...... ;)

"In my copious correspondence with the secretive Professor Von Pränger, I have come to the conclusion that the model sold by ESTES is in fact one of the prototype test rounds. As such, it was painted in bright test round colors, and garishly decorated."

"Operational versions would of course have been camoflaged like the V2. However, one final test round was strangely camoflaged, yet still was decorated with test round symbols and graphics. It is the one surviving photo of this final test round that is seen on the Red Max instruction sheet."

"Professor Von Pränger has told me that he believes the test round was decorated in camoflage so that it could be removed from the test facility, and fired as if it were an operational satellite launcher, hence the hastily constructed launch tower. Due to the muddy nature of the ground in the area, the rocket was held upright with the rope seen in the picture."

"The most exciting information that I was able to obtain from this most ancient and secretive man was that the satellite was actually...."

The letter ends here as the paper is torn...
:rolleyes:

Based on the above 'research', I have decided to model this final camoflage test round, with the proper improvements made for greater altitude launches. The dimensions are the same as the original Red max, but the fins are TTW 1/8" basswood. This will allow me to launch the rocket with AT 18mm D engines without fear of 'exceeding the speed of balsa'. The rocket is well on it's way, and I should have a pic or two tonight.

Fred

Ye Ol'e Notice!
Just for you "Over builders" out there, the Goblin, a very close cousin of the Der Red Max..Basicly the same size, weight etc. Has flown for years with 3/32" balsa fins (slightly smaller and 4 instead of 3) directly glued to the body (NO TTW) on D13... Now D12's without a single cracked fin.
example 2: A modified Red Max has been flown on E30's several times with only a slightly larger fillet of Amboride cement on the stock 3/32" balsa fins. Last flight ended with No recovered due to loss in the trees more than a mile from the launch site. Still a prefect outa sight flight! :D

Some of you guys just HAVE to find a bigger flying site!
It really hurts to read all these accounts of old gems getting snagged in the upper parts of trees. That is NOT how a rocket is supposed to die!

Micromister,

I am very sensitive to overbuilding myself. My circa 1971 Goblin still flies on Ds, but does manage to break off a fin on landing nearly every time.

I have flown a few 18mm designed model rockets on AT D21s, and manage to blow out the engine mount all too frequently.
Keeing the engine mount inside, and keeoing the fins glued on are the two main reasons that I chose to make this DRM with TTW fins. Other than TTW basswodd fins, this baby is stock, with yellow glued joints all around!!

I also do not want to go with the stock 18" chute for DRM. That is just WAY too big for a rocket of this size.

Fred

You are SOOO Right Powder!
It's darn near impossible not to land in the trees, here in the northeast. These Beautiful Old red and white 100-120foot oaks just love rockets for lunch:( If it's not the High trees it's the briar rabbit thickets...so dense a machete doesn't really help! I lost a Shuttle Columbia scale orbiter in one last summer, went back over the winter and still couldn't get in far enough to find her:( I did come out with a pocket full of nose cones and fins from other long lost models....
But what the hay! Isn't it sorta like losing fishing lures? if you not losing rockets ya must not be flying much;) I shrug, whimper a little and go build more:)

I also do not want to go with the stock 18" chute for DRM. That is just WAY too big for a rocket of this size.
Fred [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah yes!
The very reason for the mile drift, on the E30's Should have been a 12" or even a 6 x 60" streamer:(

Max2 Der Max :

Martin, I LIKE IT!!

That PNC-60AH has plenty of room inside for a little noseweight. I usually epoxy in a few small lead sinkers or BBs...

"I also need to find someone who can get me some decals...hint hint. I'll be in contact with you again Fred."

I am sure that I can work up a special set for you for the booster stage. ;)

Fred

Satruday was Cold and Windy in Middletown Maryland... the Weathermen all Lied to us big time... we were expecting temps in or near 50...never made it past 45degrees F, with lots of sunshine and light winds. Well we got the sunshine...but the winds Never really diminshed all day staying between 8-20 mph with gust MUCH higher! Strongest wind gust recorded at just over 40 MPH around 2:30 in the afternoon.
Well, I set the Micro DRM diorama up on a tri-pod first thing after arriving on the field about 8:40 am. There it sat until almost 3:00 pm. The winds just keep blowing like crazy. I did fly a couple light hearted section meet competition flights but the wind just plain made it nasty.
Finally I just couldn't stand it anymore... ask the range launch officer to set up to launch the summer camo Der red max from the launcher scene... he said " What... that's the launcher also"? I got up close hoping to get a lift-off from slighter under the model but I think I missed it anyway even with Max 800 speed film...Drat!!! Everyone said the model made a great flight I didn't see it, and was recovered undamaged with a 1/2" x 18" yellow teflon streamer.
Since it was the only flight for the launcher, I haven't pulled the film from the camera. I did take a couple stills of the diorama outdoors on the tripod with the digital I'll upload laters. I didn't get to fly many of the other 8 or 10 micors I'd plannned on flying. a very disappointing launch day for me:( The launcher scene diorama worked perfectly, exhausting out both sides of the tunnel, but the wind was blowing strong enough it just wasn't as impressive as it should have been. After launch inspection shows no blast damage to the base or exhaust hole lining at all.

Back